Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dismal IR score necessitates a GMAT retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Dismal IR score necessitates a GMAT retake? [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 06:34
Hi Stacy,

I got 740 on the GMAT (q49, v41) with a score of 5 in AWA and an inexplicably low score of 2 in IR.

I am applying for fall 2013 and the deadlines are not very far. I am not sure whether I should retake the GMAT and avoid any possible damage that the IR score can do to my application.

The dilemma is that retaking GMAT takes a precious 3 weeks of time away from my application, but, I also do not want to be rejected because of IR. I am an undergraduate degree in engineering from a prominent institute, a FRM charter holder, and a CFA Level 3 candidate. Calculations and charts were never a problem, but this IR score needs to be blanketed somehow.

What is the exact skill set that is depicted by the IR section, and, if you do not recommend a retake of GMAT, then what are the possible things that can substantiate this skill set in my application?

Please also note that I am targeting Kellogg and Booth.

I have 3 years of work experience in data analytics with one of the big 4, post which I switched my career to financial services and joined a Hedge Fund as an analyst. I have a year's experience there.

Best,
Rishu

P.S.: My community involvement is zilch and that I think will be more prominent in getting me rejected than the IR. Is there any way to make up for that on the application?

Last edited by rishu19 on 07 Nov 2012, 10:40, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dismal IR score necessitates a GMAT retake? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 10:56
Expert's post
Hi rishu19,

Thanks for posting. I do not recommend you take the GMAT test again. Your score is more than strong enough, admissions teams will not be focusing on areas such as your work experience and extracurriculars.

Do not be overly concerned about your IR score. From http://www.stacyblackman.com/2012/10/30 ... d-reviews/,

"According to a recent poll of 265 business school admissions officers, early opinion of the GMAT’s newly introduced Integrated Reasoning (IR) section is decidedly mixed. As a new season of applicants prepares to submit the first set of applications with GMAT scores that include the IR section, Kaplan Test Prep‘s 2012 survey reveals that more than half of MBA programs still aren’t sure how important IR scores will be in the evaluation process.

While 54% responded “undecided” to the question “How important will a student’s Integrated Reasoning score be in your evaluation of their overall performance on the GMAT?”, 22% say IR scores will be important, and 24% say IR scores will not be important."

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Dismal IR score necessitates a GMAT retake? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 11:31
Thanks Stacy,
Really appreciate your prompt reply.

I was wondering that if I happen to finish my application by second week of December and retake GMAT towards the end of December, then, given that AWA and IR scores will arrive after R2 deadlines have passed, will they still consider my new scores?

I am applying to Kellogg and Booth and both of them are highly competitive programs. Specifically, I am concerned about Booth, which has a very high quantitative inclination. I might be lucky with the uncertainty going on around how to use the IR scores, but 2 definitely stands out from the rest.

Just worried about IR forming a primary basis of rejection - is there a remote possibility of that happening? An opportunity to retake after finishing the application will be great.

Best,
Rishu