Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dismal Verbal Score - Advice Needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Dismal Verbal Score - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 18:06
Well I would first like to thank everyone on the forum for all of the help throughout the past couple of weeks, I finally took the real GMAT today and scored a 660 (Q46,V35) after 2 months of studying. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed in my performance on the verbal section. On my 6 practice tests (4 manhattan and the 2 GMATprep), I had been scoring in the range of 35-45 on verbal, so I guess my score today is an indication that my true verbal proficiency is at the bottom of that range.

I have gone through all of the manhattan guides multiple times, have done all the official guide problems, and I am now trying to create a study plan for the next 4 weeks as I have signed up to retake the exam on September 18th.

If anyone has any advice on how to tackle the verbal for the next couple of weeks without losing my abilities in quant, I would greatly appreciate it. I am also a little tired of the same study material, so if anyone has any advice on how to switch up the material I am using and make studying a little more interesting, that would also be great. I am really down on myself as I had scored 710's on 2 of my practice exams, and I really hope this forum can provide some insight on how to overcome this.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 699 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Dismal Verbal Score - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 18:56
BankingOrBust wrote:
Well I would first like to thank everyone on the forum for all of the help throughout the past couple of weeks, I finally took the real GMAT today and scored a 660 (Q46,V35) after 2 months of studying. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed in my performance on the verbal section. On my 6 practice tests (4 manhattan and the 2 GMATprep), I had been scoring in the range of 35-45 on verbal, so I guess my score today is an indication that my true verbal proficiency is at the bottom of that range.

I have gone through all of the manhattan guides multiple times, have done all the official guide problems, and I am now trying to create a study plan for the next 4 weeks as I have signed up to retake the exam on September 18th.

If anyone has any advice on how to tackle the verbal for the next couple of weeks without losing my abilities in quant, I would greatly appreciate it. I am also a little tired of the same study material, so if anyone has any advice on how to switch up the material I am using and make studying a little more interesting, that would also be great. I am really down on myself as I had scored 710's on 2 of my practice exams, and I really hope this forum can provide some insight on how to overcome this.

35 - 45 translates to 74 - 98 percentile in verbal, which is a pretty wide range. I would suggest you not to rush into another test till you are consistently scoring 42+ in verbal. Aristotle RC is good for practice and so is SC grail. You can also check out the links(below) for the recent posts that I have made on verbal.
If you truly are at the bottom of that range, then 1 month may not be enough to build the skills. Then again, it may have been a bad day for you.

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Dismal Verbal Score - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 06:01
Legendaddy,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I know that my verbal is lacking, but feel that I can get to where I need to be in a month. I will take a look at the SC grail and the RC and see if that makes a difference.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 636 [0], given: 6

Re: Dismal Verbal Score - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 07:44
Expert's post
BankingOrBust wrote:

Keep you're head up. Going over lots of questions can only get you so far. But you're close.

Did mental stamina have anything to do with your performance? Were you tired by the end of the test (after IR + Quant)? Make sure you approach your study sessions with the same intensity that you would for the actual exam. Of course, break them down into smaller segments first - then put them all together for actual practice tests.

If you're looking for some fresh questions on verbal, you can take a look at these online questions and go through them http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 203

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 5

Re: Dismal Verbal Score - Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 10:38
Expert's post
BankingOrBust wrote:

Lots can happen on test day, so unless you feel like you maxed out your potential when you took the real test your ability could very well be above 35. The real key to effective study in this month is to focus on your areas of weakness, based on data and your personal assessments. You have some great data available from the GMAT CATs, what is that telling you?

You've been through all the OG problems, but how has your review been? You should be spending A LOT of time reviewing your problems to really understand what you're doing right and what you are doing wrong (you should be reviewing correct answers too).

Lastly, you need to make OG practice a significant portion of your study plan during these next 4 weeks. Use other tools as a supplement, but you've got to get super comfortable with real GMAT verbal problems.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Dismal Verbal Score - Advice Needed   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2012, 10:38