Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dissapointed! 640 (Q44, V35)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Dissapointed! 640 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 22:35
Hey All,
So i completed the much awaited GMAT exam today and well to my frustration scored 640 (Q44,V35). Had to go for some therapy shopping to make myself feel better(women and shopping :roll: ) Unfortunately this score is lower than what I need to go to the school/program of my choice.Perhaps I had understimated the GMAT and overestimated my abilities.
However, I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND HELP IN ANSWERING MY INNUMERABLE QUERIES!! :lol:

Well the minimum initial score on the MGMAT Tests and GMAT PREP tests were all above 650. I was surprised to see this score considering my expectations were much higher. There are no excuses for my performance as I gave it my best shot given my circumstances(full time job being one of them and crazy night shifts, I work in the biotech field so we have processes that run 24 hrs!).

I believe that nerves may have been a factor as I spent a crazy amount of time trying to solve a question that I knew I was capable of solving but I drew a complete blank. Then I proceeded to guess on a couple of questions that I knew I did not have sufficient time to solve these might have been 5-6 questions.
My verbal scores on my practice tests may have been inflated given the number of repeats. Honestly, I did not spend as much time with the verbal section as I was focusing more on the quant. For my next test 1000SC,CR,RC here I come!!!

From my experience the questions are slightly tougher than the GMAT prep practice though not impossible to solve.I did have gaps in my Quant as I would regularly get stumped on DS questions especially those related to number properties.

However, for all you test takers, a word of advice is to do a SWOT Analysis, find your strengths and weaknesses. But, do not just focus on your weaknesses, you need to maintain your strengths and this involves a lot of work. Another point as many before me have mentioned, confidence is key you need to know you can solve these questions, dont guess(like I did) build on your speed and accuracy.
My main worry from hereon is when do I do my next test. Should I take a break of say one week and then prepare for 4 weeks. My problem is that I am leaving for London on July 1st, I will be there for a month, doing a course there in finance.

Is 4 weeks sufficient ? I would like a pessimistic opinion. I would then consider taking the GMAT on my return, that would be in October. Would that be too long a gap? Its safe to say that I really am in a fix! Also do you think I should attend coaching classes?

Your thoughts would definitely help. Thank you for your support.
I may not be as smart, but hell I do intend to persevere!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dissapointed! 640 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 00:05
Your timeline makes it tricky to schedule a re-take. I guess it depends on how prepared you feel you are right now. If you feel that you only have a few small areas to brush up on then 4 weeks should be sufficient. If you feel that you have many glaring weaknesses then waiting until October, or later, may be your best option. I would probably advise you to wait. I only waited 5 weeks inbetween my first and second attempts and ended up only improving 10 points. I know everyone is different but looking back I wish I had waited a little longer. A word of advice if you do decide to wait until the fall. Limited time to devote to GMAT due to your course in finance doesn't mean you can't browse the math and verbal forums to keep concepts fresh in your head. Then when you decide to kick your preparations back into full gear you won't have to start from scratch.

What kind of work do you do in the biotech industry? I come from the pharmaceutical industry myself (analytical chemistry).

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dissapointed! 640 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 04:34
I got almost the exact same score my first time around. (45,32) I had to take some time off between test but reviewing the test material again, it just started to make more sense. I really think the more GMAT problems you see the more comfortable you will become and the higher the score you'll get.

Don't believe anyone who tells you that you can't out work the GMAT, it's just another challenge for you to overcome on the way to that MBA. My second test I scored (49,40) 4 points higher in math and 8 points higher in verbal. Just take a breather and then get back on the horse you'll get there.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dissapointed! 640 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 05:59
wow...sorry to hear that..i was expecting a good score from you..you have been posting some real tough questions on the math forum..

what hapened?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dissapointed! 640 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 13:26
Sorry to hear that. I am sure you can get your dream score if you try just one more time. Its just matter of practice and introspection....GMAT can be nailed with right approach and I am sure you will succeed soon.
Lets us know if we can help anyway.

On verbal CR/RC stick to LSAT stuff. You cant go wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dissapointed! 640 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 14:31
Hey Guys,
It is truly reassuring to know that there are such supportive people out there. Thank you so much for your replies and assurance. I have no idea why my score is so. One reason could be that this was my first experience of a standardised test. Honestly, I would like to think of this as a bad dream(only because for me to get the course of choice I need a high score). Several lessons to be learnt here that I could write a book about , but am not going to. I will do this exam again, I will practice my verbal to death. I will also complete the challenges, not with the view of just finishing them and of getting them out of the way as I have done in the past. Here's to a second try and tons more practice, is it too cheesy to say I will become the GMAT!
Thanks Guys!!
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Dissapointed! 640 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 23:44
Sorry to hear that it is not your dream score! make me feel nerveous also, the inflation in my GmatPrep score may make me overconfident! god!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Dissapointed! 640 (Q44, V35)   [#permalink] 21 May 2008, 23:44