Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dissapointed but not surprised

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Dissapointed but not surprised [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2005, 15:23
Hi all. I took my first GMAT today and was disapointed when I received a 550. A little background info: I have never been good at math, in fact, you can say my math is abhorent. I never had any aspirations to work in business because I always felt I would become a writer. Unfortunately, that dream was never realized and I was left in a serious rut. After school, I wasn't doing much except feeling sorry for myself and I desperately needed a job. I was fortunate enough to get a job in a fast-paced sector of banking. Then things got kind of interesting: I found that I actually enjoyed my field and any confidence that had eroded after I graduated college gradually began to come back. I became ambitious and decided I would take the GMAT. I took a Kaplan diagnostic and scored a 460. I wanted to vomit but I didn't give up. My verbal was in the 83% and according to Kaplan that was almost good enough to teach. The problem was the math; my achilles heel was still causing me problems. I hit the books for four months, but my math only improved marginally. The Kaplan class didn't help much and though their book was helpful, I didn't gain much from it. Princeton's math workout kind of stunk and the tutor I hired didn't get the gmat. Needless to say, I plugged away and today I improved my score by 90 pts. This is very easy to do when your original score was way below average. I scored q28 and v38. I will not give up, regardless of how inept I am mathematically. I need advice on how to improve my math score so I can get a 600. Anything above that would be miraculous. Does anyone have any tailored suggestions, other than for me to start praying profusely?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 02:13
Hey Oewells,

Don't get bogged down - the only way to a higher score is working hard and working smart.

For starters, try to get rid of your mental block against maths. However hard you work, your mind will subconsciously be less receptive to anything you feel is "difficult". I can only understate how important it is for you take your math exercise in the correct perspective. When you start studying, begin with a good book that walks you through the basic concepts. You might want to try this website: http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/ ... b/gre/ca22

Once you're done with studying and adequately understanding the basic concepts, start with solving basic problems. I recommend you purchase a high-school level text book and work through it.

When done, start off with various GMAT prep aids. Kaplan is a great bet for math and OG has a great collection. I think you should solve every problem in the OG as it'll only help you get better.

Very important - Do not forget to maintain an error log of your prep. You will find more information on how to work with error logs and how to derive maximum benefit out of yours on this forum.

Take all your practice tests in a timed environment. This habit will help you build some kind of a "biological timer" which will improve with practice.

I hope you begin your preps at the earliset and give yourself sufficient time before your next take on the GMAT. Here's wishing you all the luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 06:52
great tips maaverick

i would like to also add my 2 cents. after getting a grip on the basics, get the workbooks on math accompanying Kaplan and PR. those can be found on ebay or amazon.com rather cheap < $15. get the OG too, it is probably the greates resource for GMAT prep. of course don't forget to practice. and practice hard - do 80-100 math questions a day. when you run out of materials - come here participate in the math forum. hope that helps. good luck

kayser
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 06:53
maaverick; can you check the url - its giving me an error - Error 404: Cannot Open Page or Document
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 21:51
oewells40, thanks for posting this! You are not alone. Math is my weak point too, and I have been dreading that aspect of the GMAT.

I just registered here at the GMAT Club today and have only begun to read through some of the threads. Good stuff! I'm in the beginning stages of studying for the GMAT, and I hope to have all of my admissions materials in for Fall admission. I believe most of the deadlines are March-June for Fall entry. Does that sound about right? Do I have enough time to study and take the GMAT in that time?
**hugs**
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 02:25
kayser`soze wrote:
maaverick; can you check the url - its giving me an error - Error 404: Cannot Open Page or Document

Apologies for the dead link. Could you please try

http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/ ... h_help.htm
Intern
Intern

Thanks Maverick [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 03:26
Your advice are really good and the link is very useful. I'm sure it will help us for the basis.

Many thanks

jas
:flower
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 07:38
thanks maaverick for the great link it worked.
Intern
Intern

Thank you [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2005, 11:04
Thanks for the resources Maverick, I haven't checked back here in a while but I appreciate your taking the time. I will begin to tackle GMAT math again this monday with hopes of taking the test again in June. I know I possess the intellect to score above 600 and that the 550 I received is not an accurate assessment of my abilities. You guys are all awesome. This website gives many of us a lot of confidence.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thank you [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2005, 12:18
oewells40 wrote:
Thanks for the resources Maverick, I haven't checked back here in a while but I appreciate your taking the time. I will begin to tackle GMAT math again this monday with hopes of taking the test again in June. I know I possess the intellect to score above 600 and that the 550 I received is not an accurate assessment of my abilities. You guys are all awesome. This website gives many of us a lot of confidence.

Hi oewells40, the GMAT is certainly not a test of intellect :) . I scored above 700 but certainly do not feel more intelligent than when I first took it and scored a low 600. I would say that it is more a test of perseverance and dedication. Good luck again

Best Regards,

Paul

Re: Thank you   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2005, 12:18