Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 08:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dissappointed with 560...and trying to recover

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Dissappointed with 560...and trying to recover [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 09:11
Hi Everyone,

Took the GMAT yesterday and scored 560 (Q - 45, V - 22)
I was working fulltime and studied for 1 1/2 month studying about 10 hours total over a week. Scored 640 and 660 in powerprep. Scored about 560 in Kaplan. I was weak in sentence correction but quite ok in critical reasoning and reading comprehension. Went over a lot of exercises and went over every possible rule.

Went into the test center and Started with the essays, which were quite easy and moved on to the quant section. I thought, i did reasonably well and saw some tough question right in middle including some permutation and combination. But i ran out of time and had to guess the last four to five questions.

Moved on to the verbal. I knew this was my weak area and concentrated really hard on the first 10 questions. I was absolutely confident that I did the RC questions right....but may be...my gut feeling and intitution or so bad....because...my score doesnt reflect even a mediocre performance in the verbal..section

Eventually, I ran out of time and end up atleast guessing 9 questions in the last part.....

My heart was beating so fast...and I was not prepared to see the score on the screen. I saw a score of 560 and I was absolutely...frustrated, dejected, dissapointed...with my abysmal...performance.

But more than that...i was dissapointed..because...i didnt know what went wrong....i stared hopelessly at my screen ......and ...the test score....brought my morale...down to new levels....

I partly believe in the accuracy of the ETS scores....and I am not sure...if taking the test again....will help me much...but deep inside...me I know I am way better than the score in the screen that blinked so coldly against me....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 19:17
I'm sorry that you didn't get the score you expected. I've heard that ETS would punish quick guessing. Not sure if this is true? Anyways if you are going to take the test again, you should definitely practise more on your time management.

So have you thought about what you are going to do next?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 21:27
I took the GMAT about 10 days ago, and it became one of the biggest disappointments I have ever faced. I scored a 580 (Q44, V26). The powerprep scores were 670 and 690. I'm retaking in a few weeks based on the advice of the admissions counselor.

I definitely agree about the time management. I noticed I was behind and started guessing during the verbal section to catch up. I think that is what got me.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 22:01
Thanks for the tip Honghu....I have this habit of sticking to a problem forever...since it challenges me to solve it. This pursuit leads me to miss out some problems in the end. But I had totally believed in the concept of scoring good on the first few questions. But now, I am not hundred percent sure...if that concept worked out in my favour. The quant section seemed to have worked. But I dont know how my verbal score could have dropped as low as 22 just because of the last 9 guesses?

As for my future....I am confused....if i get admitted to one the schools I apply( by virtue of other better things), i would just go for it... However, my score would still haunt me...i would like to salvage some pride...by retaking the test. But if I dont know what are my weaknesses are and what went wrong, there is no point in letting my emotions get the better of me and taking the test in hurry.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 22:25
calcoolram, I felt the same way after my first test score. However I decided to approach the whole preparation with a fresh outlook. My mistake was the same as yours - I stick to a question till I get the right answer and hence ram out of time.

So when I restarted my preparation I used to time ALL my practice sessions for each of the question. I also did OG extensively using the new test grid which keeps time for you for each question. This was extremely helpful.

I was also psyched out the first time because a few days before doing the test, I scored very low in my practise tests. The second time it was different. I think positive feelings also contributed to my better score second time.

I improved my score from 620 to 720. So please do not be disheartened and all the best to prepare again.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 09:23
It sounds like time management is the key in your case. If you can master this issue, you should be able to increase your V score and your total score considerably.
  [#permalink] 28 Mar 2005, 09:23