Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 05:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (01:47) correct 54% (01:14) wrong based on 211 sessions
Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions. Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control two crucial factors that can drive new business.

Which of the following can be correctly inferred from the statements above?

A. The costs associated with offering distance learning are lower than those of other instruction methods.
B. Online classes are more convenient for both instructors and students than are classes held at specific geographic locations.
C. Distance learning does not required climate control or parking facilities.
D. Most types of instruction can be effectively conducted in an online setting.
E. Computers and internet access are uniformly available to people in the developed world.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 05:31
A...
The argument talks only about cost efficiency. Only option A fits .

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 06:12
I have following doubts for the option A.
The stimulus tells us that we will save on the amount spent on activities such as parking, etc. These activities or expenses are part of any other institution. We could spend the amount so saved on other activities such as marketing, etc. It may be that any reduction of such costs leads us to spend more on other activities. The spend of marketing, etc. can turn out to be more than savings so achieved. It only talks of saving in amounts. How can we take it to assume that the overall costs will come down?
C- We will save on amount spent on parking, etc. The learning institutions must not be in need to such facilities, that is why the costs are coming down. Can't we take it to mean that these facilities are not required by distance learning institutions?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 08:03
In my opinion answer C also fits as correct, however as far as i know there could not be such case, either the question is poorly designed or i missed something...

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, HKUST, CEIBS, NUS, Duke, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Finance, 2.5 years)
WE 2: Information Technology (Retail, 2 years)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 18:59
Option C makes more sense than A
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 19:26
The arguemebt says cost saved on classroom, parking space etc needs needs to be diverted to marketing and q control. It implies costs are diverted and not saved.

My vote is for C

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 36

Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 20:36
It should be option C as costs incurred for marketing and quality could be more than that of classroom,parking space and climate control.
Option A mentions about cost savings, there is no mention of it in the argument, its mentioned as lucrative.

I go with option C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 22:09
The answer is a simple A. I don't think we can infer that "Distance learning does not require climate control or parking facilities.". We can only infer that "classroom based learning definitely needs these". There is a subtle difference there.

Last edited by mourinhogmat1 on 25 Jun 2012, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 23:06
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
The answer is a simple A. I don't think we can infer that "Distance learning does not required climate control or parking facilities.". We can only infer that "classroom based learning definitely needs these". There is a subtle difference there.

Agree that "classroom based learning definitely needs these" (resources), and almost changed my mind towards A, but don't you think that to eliminate all potential ambiguity and to make option A definite we need to replace the word particulars with resources, otherwise option C also has some grounds to be tue. Because distance learning may require other costs that are not normally associated with traditional learning, e.g. more marketing, and that costs could be more than facility costs.
Hope that i could explain my thinking.

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 00:19
Isn't C stated in the passage ? A is an inference.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 00:45
ziko wrote:
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
The answer is a simple A. I don't think we can infer that "Distance learning does not required climate control or parking facilities.". We can only infer that "classroom based learning definitely needs these". There is a subtle difference there.

Agree that "classroom based learning definitely needs these" (resources), and almost changed my mind towards A, but don't you think that to eliminate all potential ambiguity and to make option A definite we need to replace the word particulars with resources, otherwise option C also has some grounds to be tue. Because distance learning may require other costs that are not normally associated with traditional learning, e.g. more marketing, and that costs could be more than facility costs.

Yes, but you are attempting to go beyond what is stated in the stimulus. Stick only to what is stated by the author. There is normally no need to go beyond it. The more you go beyond the stimulus, the more you are likely to make a mistake.

Let's do a quick FACT TEST check with respect to answers A and answers C.
First with statement A:
A. The costs associated with offering distance learning are lower than those of other instruction methods.

1) Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions. (Nothing about cost)
2) Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control two crucial factors that can drive new business. (Meets fact check, here because authors says money can be diverted to mkt to quality and that means original costs such classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service are not needed for the online system)

Now with statement C:

1) Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions. (Nothing about cost)
2) Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control two crucial factors that can drive new business.
(Ask yourself does this statement say DL DOES NOT need CC or PF? A Big fat NOOOOOOO. Maybe there are some businesses which need and maybe there are others which don't but the only thing actually stated here is that these can be avoided or channelled differently)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 01:09
doesn't c=> A ? Hence c?

classroom needs extra costs for blah blah.
(Distance doesn't need blah blah (option c) ) hence, cost distance < classroom (option a)

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 13

Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 23:45
This post received
KUDOS
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
ziko wrote:
mourinhogmat1 wrote:

Yes, but you are attempting to go beyond what is stated in the stimulus. Stick only to what is stated by the author. There is normally no need to go beyond it. The more you go beyond the stimulus, the more you are likely to make a mistake.

Let's do a quick FACT TEST check with respect to answers A and answers C.
First with statement A:

2) Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control two crucial factors that can drive new business. (Meets fact check, here because authors says money can be diverted to mkt to quality and that means original costs such classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service are not needed for the online system)

Now with statement C:

2) Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control two crucial factors that can drive new business.
(Ask yourself does this statement say DL DOES NOT need CC or PF? A Big fat NOOOOOOO. Maybe there are some businesses which need and maybe there are others which don't but the only thing actually stated here is that these can be avoided or channelled differently)

Ok, and can you tell me how the the stimulus concludes that "The costs associated with offering distance learning are lower than those of other instruction methods"; it is not mentioned in stimulus that the costs of quality control and marketing will actually be lower than parking costs etc. Only thing which can be inferred is that such institutions spend more on quality and marketing rather than parking etc. I think the question is not good.

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 08:31
A is wrong. Cost associated with other instruction method is not mentioned in passage.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 52

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
I chose C.

I looked for an answer that can be inferred directly from the question stem.

IMO, the question stem say the following if paraphrased:
With the Distance Learning case, Money to be spent on CC and PF can be diverted to something else - > DL does not require CC or PF.

I cannot understand why A could be correct :) especially because we question does not say anything about all costs. Maybe, costs to establish online-classes are much higher than the savings from the CC and PF.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 41

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 07:58
aalriy wrote:
Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions. Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control two crucial factors that can drive new business.

Which of the following can be correctly inferred from the statements above?

B. Online classes are more convenient for both instructors and students than are classes held at specific geographic locations.
D. Most types of instruction can be effectively conducted in an online setting.
E. Computers and internet access are uniformly available to people in the developed world.

Hi Guys,
It has to be C.

Nowhere, argument mentioned about other instruction method.

Experts..please clarify..!!!

Thanks,
Jai

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 73

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 11:13
jaituteja wrote:

Nowhere, argument mentioned about other instruction method.

Experts..please clarify..!!!

Thanks,
Jai

Money that would otherwise be spent. Otherwise!!!

You've been walking the ocean's edge, holding up your robes to keep them dry. You must dive naked under, and deeper under, a thousand times deeper! - Rumi

http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nprep-com/ - This is worth its weight in gold

Economist GMAT Test - 730, Q50, V41 Aug 9th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 670, Q45, V36 Aug 11th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 680, Q47, V36 Aug 17th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 1 - 770, Q50, V44 Aug 24th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 690, Q45, V39 Aug 30th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 710, Q48, V39 Sep 13th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 2 - 740, Q49, V41 Oct 6th, 2013

GMAT - 770, Q50, V44, Oct 7th, 2013
My Debrief - from-the-ashes-thou-shall-rise-770-q-50-v-44-awa-5-ir-162299.html#p1284542

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2013, 11:13