Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 05:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

36% (02:10) correct 64% (01:11) wrong based on 368 sessions
Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions. Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control, two crucial factors that can drive new business.

Which of the following can be correctly inferred from the statements above?

A. The costs associated with offering distance learning are lower than those of other instruction methods.
B. Online classes are more convenient for both instructors and students than are classes held at specific geographic locations.
C. Distance learning does not required climate control or parking facilities.
D. Most types of instruction can be effectively conducted in an online setting.
E. Computers and internet access are uniformly available to people in the developed world.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 18:46
aalriy wrote:
Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service

A seems correct.

Other choice would be C. But C infers little too less.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 20:24
In the first thought, I consider C correct choice. However, when think secondly, choice A is better. In choice C, it states that the online course does not need facility is too strict and possibly wrong.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 34 [2] , given: 4

Re: Distance learning - PR1012 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
A. The costs associated with offering distance learning are lower than those of other instruction methods.
-- The stimulus never mentions the different types of costs associated with distance learning methods v/s other instruction methods. So, according to me this statement cannot be inferred.
-- Whereas, the stimulus clearly says "Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other" for location specific methods. It would not be extreme to say that Distance learning does not require climate control or parking facilities
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 469

Kudos [?]: 1850 [4] , given: 29

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aalriy wrote:
Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions. Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control, two crucial factors that can drive new business.

B. Online classes are more convenient for both instructors and students than are classes held at specific geographic locations.
E. Computers and internet access are uniformly available to people in the developed world.

fameatop wrote:
Hi Mike,
I am not able to understand why option A is preferred over C. Can you explain kindly where am i making a mistake.
Waiting for your valuable inputs
Fame

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, I will say ---- I don't think this is a very high quality question. This source is not an excellent source for GMAT questions --- see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/princeton- ... ok-review/
In particular, I think this question does not have a single clear right answer, the way any good GMAT CR would. Instead, it has a "more gray" answer and a "less gray" answer.

(C) is a reasonably good answer, and if the other four answers were wrong, (C) would be the correct answer. BUT, (A) is a stronger answer. First of all, notice that (C) is very close to being explicitly stated. This is never a pattern for an incorrect answer on the GMAT CR, but perhaps this source is trying to teach some lesson along the lines of "it can't be an inference if it's stated directly." I would say --- (C) is oddly close to what is stated explicitly, whereas (A) has more the proper distance from what is explicitly stated for a good CR inference. Let me make clear --- this judging I am doing is from the perspective of someone who writes CR questions. This criterion --- too explicit to be an inference ---- is something a question writer need to keep in mind, but if the question writer has done the job well, this is never a consideration that the test taker needs to address.

Secondly, notice that (A) is really aligned with the thrust of the argument. Overall, the argument is about ---- look how much money we can save, offering distance learning instead of on-site learning. Choice (A) is very much about the central point the argument is making --- that's also a characteristic of a good CR inference. By contrast, (C) is a detail, a throwaway mention, not vital to the argument overall. Once again, this is also a criterion that should be employed in question creation, but if a question is well-written, this shouldn't really be a concern for the test taker.

As is often the case, the questions that generate a great deal of discussion on these forums are the poorly written questions that ultimately raise a bunch of issues that really are of little use to someone studying for the GMAT. What most helps folks preparing for the GMAT are quality questions. Here's a practice GMAT CR question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3150
When you submit your answer, the following page will have a complete video solution.

Let me know if anyone reading this has any questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 02:42
Hi Mike,
Still a bit confused. It mentions that "Money that would otherwise be spent on....can be diverted to marketing and quality control." Wouldn't that cause A to be questioned since the money is just being diverted and not really saved?
Thanks.
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 04:34
aalriy wrote:
Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions. Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control two crucial factors that can drive new business.

Option A is full flaws.....
Consider
An institute invests 100,000$ on infrastructure....By investing in Distance learning progs. it saves that money and invests ion other areas.......So how is the cost less. unless and until we know how much is being invested and saved...its difficult to comment.......Moreover The word COSTS leaves an ambiguity..that the cost of the course to students or to the institution is less.
So i think its a completely ambiguous answer choice......

Archit
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1850 [0], given: 29

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 09:40
Expert's post
RMART wrote:
Hi Mike,
Still a bit confused. It mentions that "Money that would otherwise be spent on....can be diverted to marketing and quality control." Wouldn't that cause A to be questioned since the money is just being diverted and not really saved?
Thanks.

Dear RMART,
My friend, I don't know how much you know about how businesses operate, but this would be very good stuff to understand before you set out on your MBA. Some of the expenses of a business are "necessarily evils" ---- for example, every dollar spent on rent or parking or climate control is just gone --- those are necessary expenses, but the business doesn't get anything except the ability to keep doing what they already are doing. Perhaps some of those might be investments, say if they are paying the mortgage on a space, but even then, the money they spend doesn't move the business itself forward.

By contrast, what business love to spend money on are things that promote growth. Advertising & marketing are prime examples. Under the right conditions, if marketing is done right, every dollar spent on marketing brings back, say, $2 or $3 in increase revenue (i.e. new customers that result from the marketing). Once a business has established this "multiplying" effect with its marketing, then it can just throw money in that direction, because every dollar will multiply. Throwing money at a money multiplier is a virtually ideal state for business growth.

For a business to be able to divert money from never-see-again kinds of expenses to investments that multiply --- for anyone who runs a business, this is simply a dream-come-true improvement. As anyone who runs a business knows, a dollar spent is NOT just a dollar spent --- where it is spent makes all the difference.

Again, if you are not familiar with the details of how businesses operate, that would be an excellent place to do some reading up before you apply to B-school.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 09:54
Thanks for the advice Mike, and yes I do know all those things you just described. However, I thought you weren't to use any outside information :? ...thats why I didn't think it to that detail. Anyways, thanks for the clarification :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 09:45
honestly A is a completely wrong answer choice

I feel C is the most closest if the question is an inference question.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 21:36
aalriy wrote:
Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions. Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control two crucial factors that can drive new business.

I'm confused how (A) can be inferred. The paragraph mentions that distance learning is cheaper.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1850 [0], given: 29

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 08:46
Expert's post
animanga008 wrote:
aalriy wrote:

I'm confused how (A) can be inferred. The paragraph mentions that distance learning is cheaper.

Dear animanga008,
I'm happy to help. :-)

This is a very tricky thing about inference on the GMAT. Here's the link to a blog article:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/inference- ... rehension/
Even though that article is about RC, inference on the CR is much the same.

You see, it's true that the GMAT will not ask you to infer something that is said literally, in black and white, on the page. BUT (big "but") --- a correct inference on the GMAT will only be a shade different, a hair's breadth away, from what was said explicitly.

Notice, the words "cheaper" or "more expensive" appear nowhere in the text. The text literally talks about how money formerly spent on thing X can now be spent on thing Y. It never makes a statement anywhere that the costs associated with distance learning are lower than anything else. In fact, it never makes an explicit statement about the costs associated with distance learning at all. And yet, we undeniably know, without a shadow of a doubt, that if everything in the passage is true, then it absolutely must be the case that distance learning is cheaper. How do we know this is the case? We inferred it!

The thing that the GMAT will ask you to infer is often like this --- the thing that is not explicitly expressed, but is so absolutely obvious a deduction, and almost identical to what is said, that we will sometimes swear, "I'm sure they said X in the paragraph" even though they didn't. If the statement gives you the feeling that it was stated, even though it wasn't, that's a superbly designed inference question --- exactly what the GMAT wants to do when it creates such a question.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 54

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 01:15
Great question Mike

You have already given a great explanation, but I will chip in my two cents.

Since most of the folks are confused between A and C, the given stimulus just says that the money spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control etc. will be diverted.

It is nowhere stated that non-distant learning requires/not requires climate control/parking. 'money' is the main point == money is saved/diverted.
Since, C states that 'distance learning does not require climate control or parking facilities,' and not about 'the money' involved, C is wrong.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 43

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 06:26
As per my understanding learning institutions save money on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service.... and divert the amount to marketing and quality control to further enhance business( the "new business" is confusing ... they should have used the savings to furtherance of the existing business).

A. The costs associated with offering distance learning are lower than those of other instruction methods.how can we definitely say that....do we assume that class room education and distant learning are the only two modes of imparting education..may be a third mode is cheaper....in any case no such mention in the stimulus....

C. Distance learning does not require climate control or parking facilities....we can definitely say that as the stimulus says so....

WHY THEN SHOULD "A" BE CORRECT.......

Could Mikemcgarry explain please.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 06:18
semwal wrote:
As per my understanding learning institutions save money on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service.... and divert the amount to marketing and quality control to further enhance business( the "new business" is confusing ... they should have used the savings to furtherance of the existing business).

A. The costs associated with offering distance learning are lower than those of other instruction methods.how can we definitely say that....do we assume that class room education and distant learning are the only two modes of imparting education..may be a third mode is cheaper....in any case no such mention in the stimulus....

C. Distance learning does not require climate control or parking facilities....we can definitely say that as the stimulus says so....

COULD SOME EXPERT PLEASE ATTEMPT TO CLARIFY THIS DOUBT OF MINE ?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1850 [1] , given: 29

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 12:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
semwal wrote:

Dear semwal
I'm happy to help. First of all, I believe you misunderstand the used of the word "business" at the end of this passage:
Here, the passage does not mean "a business" in the sense of "a company", which already exists. The passage means "business" in the sense of "doing business" or "good for business"----- commercial activity as such. Here, "drive new business" means, essentially, "generate new customers."

As far as the difference between (A) & (C) --- you're right. That's a good objection to (A). The important point is, though: this is a poor question. You are wasting your time by thinking deeply about this question. Some CR questions are tricky and hard because they are well written, and thinking about such questions will improve your GMAT score. This is not such a questions. Other CR questions are tricky or hard simply because they are poorly thought-out and poorly written. This is such a question. Focusing on this is not going to help you. I assume you do not plan to spend ten years getting ready for the GMAT. Time is short: focus on the question that will really help you.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 480 Q31 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 19:59
Picked A.

This is my approach.

"Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities,.... bla bla" Money has been mentioned specifically in the argument... and that is what made me pick A over C

Irrelevant

Pretty close, but not as close as option A

Irrelevant
Irrelevant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 00:52
mikemcgarry wrote:
semwal wrote:

Dear semwal
I'm happy to help. First of all, I believe you misunderstand the used of the word "business" at the end of this passage:
Here, the passage does not mean "a business" in the sense of "a company", which already exists. The passage means "business" in the sense of "doing business" or "good for business"----- commercial activity as such. Here, "drive new business" means, essentially, "generate new customers."

As far as the difference between (A) & (C) --- you're right. That's a good objection to (A). The important point is, though: this is a poor question. You are wasting your time by thinking deeply about this question. Some CR questions are tricky and hard because they are well written, and thinking about such questions will improve your GMAT score. This is not such a questions. Other CR questions are tricky or hard simply because they are poorly thought-out and poorly written. This is such a question. Focusing on this is not going to help you. I assume you do not plan to spend ten years getting ready for the GMAT. Time is short: focus on the question that will really help you.

Does this make sense?

Thanks a lot MIKEMCGARRY.........What you said is absolutely correct.... can't waste too much time on such questions....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 09:16
At first I am hurry to choose C, but later carefully seeing the structure. This line made me the point "Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions."

If distance learning offer lucrative option for institution, then the institution might be in a advantage , and the option A helps it.

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 05:20
you could have more students/more revenue/more profit all with the same cost and it would still be a 'lucrative option'.

CAT1-520 (GMAT CLUB)
CAT2-620 (MGMAT 1)
CAT3-630 (KAPLAN)
CAT4-680 (MGMAT 2)
CAT5-710 (VERITAS 1)
CAT6-680 (MGMAT 3)
CAT7-720 (VERITAS 2)
CAT8-730 (VERITAS 3)
... Lets see how far can i stretch it up to.

Re: Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2014, 05:20