Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Distance learning overseas school... US jobs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Distance learning overseas school... US jobs [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 12:02
For someone planning to work in the US upon completion of a MBA- would there be any pros or cons, in terms of how an employer rates MBA degrees, school reputation, to completing a MBA at a school like Warwick Business School- as opposed to a equitable business school in the states. It would seem that this would give the degree a certain amount of "global appeal" but I don't know if this is true or not. The price at Warwick is definitely competitive.. but its not if you will be looked over by prospective employers who prefer degrees from US schools.

I am looking at Distance Learning programs only.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 36

Re: Distance learning overseas school... US jobs [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 23:03
You have to realize that many people view MBAs differently. Some people will only talk to you if you went to a top ten MBA program (let's say top 20 globally). Others think it's a complete waste of money and stunts your career. So give us some context! Let me help: What are you looking to accomplish in the near term and long term in your career?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Distance learning overseas school... US jobs [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 06:19
vandygrad,

First off- thanks for the reply. Let me see if I can explain in more detail. I am ten years into a Production career at one of the big three network news stations in the US. Since my experience has for the most part been technical and operational- I am hitting a ceiling in terms of moving up with my current experience level- within my company and with external companies. Having a degree and career experience which is primarily technical in nature can have somewhat of a stigma attached to it- as potential employers think all you can do is technical stuff.

I have not had any success with moving up in my current company with my level of experience so far. I need to get more of a overall exposure to the business/management side of things before I can be considered for any sort of role which would require this sort of background- project manager for instance. I don't have a long term goal fleshed out yet- but I think this will make me more well rounded overall and therefore more attractive to potential employers who see me as lacking necessary business skills.

My plan is to continue to work- and do distance learning- at whichever school I end up attending. Does this help map out where I currently am as a candidate?
Re: Distance learning overseas school... US jobs   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2012, 06:19