Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Distressed and Disappointed - really need your advice!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Distressed and Disappointed - really need your advice!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 07:12
Hi - I just completed my second try on GMAT today. 590 (Q46, V25). It is my worst score ever. My first try back in late June was 620 (Q46, V 31).

Before attempting my second try, I studied for 4 months. Took 6 MGMAT exams and 2 GMAT Prep practice tests again. Scores are as follow:

MGMAT 1: 660 (Q47, V36) untimed Sep 2
MGMAT 2: 690 (Q47, V37) untimed Sep 28
MGMAT 3: 670 (Q 46, V 37) untimed Sep 29
MGMAT 4: 710 (Q48, V37) timed Sept 30
GMAT Prep 1: 680 (Q47, V 37) timed Nov 1
GMAT Prep 2: 620 (Q48, V 28) timed Nov 2
MGMAT 5: 690 (Q48, V36) timed Nov 4
MGMAT6: 730 (Q48, V 41) timed Nov 4

My dilemma is whether to take it a third time. I understand some schools has indicated that they prefer candidates not to take it more than twice. Can someone advise...???

I am looking to apply to my target schools in January, retaking it will be the earliest Dec 6...would this be advisable. Or should I just be preparing for my application and focussing on the essays etc using my first score for the app.

Below is my profile

I am a Thai Chinese and I spent 9 years in the US, for undergrad and working thereafter. I graduated with a GPA of 3.9 in 2002 from a top liberal arts college. Was awarded a Global Scholar Award (full scholarship for graduating valedictorian in school), Double majored in Economics and Accounting/Finance. Aiming for January applications to be admitted Fall 2010. Completing CFA this coming June. I would also be 30 when I matriculate.

My work experiences are as follows:
1) 2 years as a regulator (compliance)-promoted within a year - managing a team of 3-4
2) 3+years in a top i-bank in NY (compliance)- Analyst and Associate - managing a team of 3-4
3) 1 year in Equity Research Analyst Sell Side -foreign bank in Thai - ranked in Asia
4) 1+ current, Equity Research Analyst/Trader - local bank in Thai - managing a team of 5

Other involvements:
Some public service involvements, but limited time since I have to take care of sick family member.
Speak 5 languages
Leadership roles in college varsity teams and clubs

Target schools: Said, Judge, Emory, Yale, Stern, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD

Objectives after MBA: Trader/Portfolio management roles, managing funds. Some ppl i have spoken to has indicated that given my previous experiences, can use MBA to leverage for a more middle manager position.

All comments appreciated! Thanks guys...though I am not feeling that great now.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2221

Kudos [?]: 8232 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Distressed and Disappointed - really need your advice!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 14:36
Expert's post
Have you looked at this thread?
should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Nobody cares how many times you take the test - you can take it 60 times if you would like to - would probably make you very famous and poor ($15K in fees) but I doubt the clerk who verifies your score submitted on the application will care. Top 10 schools don't even bother so much with GMAT. As many students report, they have quite a few classmates with mid-600's and below (that's in schools with 700+ averages). This of course means they also have a bunch with 750+ to balance the average, but the point is that the distribution is quite wide.

The question you are asking is really for you to decide - is MBA for you? What tier of the school you want to get into? How far are you willing to go?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Distressed and Disappointed - really need your advice!! [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 01:42
thanks for the advice. i would like to pursue an MBA at a top tier business school in the US or the UK ideally, but i also realize that i need to be practical in aiming for the school i would like to get in vs a school that is realistic given my profile, gmat, etc.
Re: Distressed and Disappointed - really need your advice!!   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2009, 01:42