Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Distribution of SC questions - Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
26 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 171 [26] , given: 13

Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 16:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:03) correct 33% (01:42) wrong based on 42 sessions
Hey guys,

Have you ever faced such situations, while solving SC, as you are not able to spot the errors in any of the answer choices, or are not able to narrow down the answer choice to one? If yes, then I am with you!!! :-D

I seldom find myself staring at the screen with no clue how to attack a hard SC. I know, I know, every question falls under a specific category of error. According to MGMAT SC there are 9 such categories: Parallelism, Modifiers, Comparisons, Idioms, Verb Tense/Voice/Mood, Subject-Verb agreement, Pronouns, Meaning/Concision, Odds & Ends. So if you are stuck in a situation like above, then you should start checking if the question falls under any of these error categories. But which category to test first? It is definitely not economical to spend time in real GMAT checking these categories randomly. :roll: So I have come up with my own strategy to tackle such situations.

Here is the distribution of questions from OG and Official Verbal Guides:
Attachment:
SC_Distribution.jpg
SC_Distribution.jpg [ 73.88 KiB | Viewed 21978 times ]

It is clear from this chart that the probability of a question to fall under one of the first 3 categories is more than 50%. And 75% of the questions comes under one of the first 5 categories. Questions that fall under modifiers and comparisons categories are usually easier than those that fall under parallelism. So it is safe to place your bet on parallelism if you are not able to determine the category of any question.

I personally found this strategy very useful to increase my speed in finding the answers of Brutal SC questions, and I hope that you all will also benefit from it. Comments and suggestions are Welcome!!

Assumption: The distribution of the SC questions in OG and Official Verbal Guides represents the actual distribution of questions in real GMAT. :wink:
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 18:20
Phew!GLad to see that somebody is in the same boat as me!!

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 16

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 20:55
Have some problem often,,,
but if i have no clue which answer to pick, i trust my intuition and ear. It helps often :)

Never give up,,,

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 13

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 04:29
mirzohidjon wrote:
Have some problem often,,,
but if i have no clue which answer to pick, i trust my intuition and ear. It helps often :)

I can see how "ear" can help in case of Idioms, but I have a hard time to digest that intuition is the BEST strategy :!:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 92

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 05:32
HI Hgp,
So, If I understood you right, when you can not find clue to the question, you begin to check the belonging of the question to the category one by one, from the top?

Can you suppose the rate of effectiveness increase? :?:
Have you checked this proportions with the Prep. materials?

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 16

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 07:42
I think the best way to approach SC questions, is to develop ability to recognize error at first glance. Step by step look at each grammar concept based on percentage from OG often might be wasteful, and leave less time for RC and CR questions, which are equally important.
May be I used the wrong word. By "intuition," I meant, my feeling that something is wrong in the use of specific expression based on expression, i.e. it is not just intuition... :)

Never give up,,,

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 09:08
Ayrish wrote:
HI Hgp,
So, If I understood you right, when you can not find clue to the question, you begin to check the belonging of the question to the category one by one, from the top?

Can you suppose the rate of effectiveness increase? :?:
Have you checked this proportions with the Prep. materials?

You got it right. Yes, it increased the rate of effectiveness for me. The question proportion/distribution is from OG12, OG 11, GMAT official verbal guide 2 and GMAT official verbal guide 1.

Comments/Suggestions are welcome.

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 09:13
mirzohidjon wrote:
I think the best way to approach SC questions, is to develop ability to recognize error at first glance. Step by step look at each grammar concept based on percentage from OG often might be wasteful, and leave less time for RC and CR questions, which are equally important.
May be I used the wrong word. By "intuition," I meant, my feeling that something is wrong in the use of specific expression based on expression, i.e. it is not just intuition... :)

You are correct mirzohidjon! But this stratey is applicable only for the questions, which you have no clue about. And the probability of that is very high when you are at 700+ difficulty level.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 18

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 10:05
Good work buddy..You sure have managerial skills of consolidating data :)
Yup..actually its more of pattern-based, so identifying a pattern is must...of course , theoretically, classifying the problems and attacking them in a structured manner is the best and 'satisfying' way to answer questions. For me it is a combination of both as there are times when you have to chose the 'best' choice even though two of them can be technically correct.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9433 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 11:48
Expert's post
Kudos!

I have used a checklist like that for my prep, but my approach has been to build a check list from my error log - I would see where i get caught the most and that's the area I would check first. It looked very similar to yours (probably had a few more items there) but the idea is the same.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 15:34
my test date is soon and after so much of practise..SC is still killing me..:(i plan on spending quality time over nxt few days practicing just the top 4-5 topics listed here..
thanks a ton for compiling this!

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 12:49
Excellent. I love the idea. Will apply it shortly. :) :-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 16

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 19:23
When I went through those OGs, I noticed the number of ||sm types questions are larger than others.

Good work, buddy.

+1
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9433 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 01:45
Expert's post
Also, here is another project hgp2k contributed to:
gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 09:18
Great work...very helpful!
+1 Kudos!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 04:17
Love it, very helpful indeed. Thank you!

Jas
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 19:21
This post received
KUDOS
Pretty awesome, exactly what I was looking for.

Gmatclub rocks...... :lol:

Be willing to fail. It's the price of greatness. ;)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 08:13
The trick that worked for me is to quickly scan through the answer choices w/o actually reading, this might help you find the error that is being tested. If the answer choices are different around the usage of verb tense then one of the errors is verb tense.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 21:02
add me too in this category. and i also agree that parallelism is very tough to find out..it really makes sense to bet on parallelism

Thanks for the comparision.
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 20:01
although i wonder if this has changed with the recent updates of GMAT not using many idioms and attempting to increase the focus on 'meaning'. ??

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Re: Distribution of SC questions - Strategy   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2011, 20:01