Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions. [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 14:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (01:57) correct 49% (01:50) wrong based on 53 sessions
Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions. Korva. Mitro, and Guadar, Under the federal revenue-sharing plan, each region receives a share of federal revenues equal to the share of the total population of Ditrama residing in that region as shown by a yearly population survey. Last year the percentage of federal revenues Korva received for its share decreased somewhat even though the population survey on which the revenue-sharing was based showed that Korva's population had increased.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also have been shown by the population survey on which last year's revenue-sharing in Dirama was based?

(A) Of the three regions Korva had the smallest number of residents
(B) The population of Korva grew by a smaller percentage than it did in previous years
(C) The populations of Mitro and Guadar each increased by a percentage that exceeded the percentage by which the population of Korva increased.
(D) Of the three regions. Korva's numerical increase in population was the smallest
(E) Korva's population grew by a smaller percentage than did the population of at least one of the other two autonomous regions.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 16 Apr 2014, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
added the OA
VP
VP
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 15:19
:? This question is very confusing... What is the OA?

Last edited by nervousgmat on 28 Feb 2007, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 15:34
E. Clearly its population rose less than the overall average and at least one of the other regions show a greater percentage increase in population
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 17:08
I debated between C and E for a long time. Eventually picked E because, it only has to be true that one country exceeded the growth rate Korva's population to decrease Korva's share of total population. It is not NECESSARILY true that both of the other two countries exceeded the population percentage increase of Korva.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 18:14
(E)

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 18:57
kevincan wrote:
E. Clearly its population rose less than the overall average and at least one of the other regions show a greater percentage increase in population

yeah its E. One region can absorb the reduction, or 2 regions can do that.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 21:57
OA is E good job guys
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ditrama [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 20:33
terp26 wrote:
Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions. Korva. Mitro, and Guadar, Under the federal revenue-sharing plan, each region receives a share of federal revenues equal to the share of the total population of Ditrama residing in that region as shown by a yearly population survey. Last year the percentage of federal revenues Korva received for its share decreased somewhat even though the population survey on which the revenue-sharing was based showed that Korva's population had increased.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also have been shown by the population survey on which last year's revenue-sharing in Dirama was based?

(B) The population of Korva grew by a smaller percentage than it did in previous years
(C) The populations of Mitro and Guadar each increased by a percentage that exceeded the percentage by which the population of Korva increased.
(D) Of the three regions. Korva's numerical increase in population was the smallest
(E) Korva's population grew by a smaller percentage than did the population of at least one of the other two autonomous regions.

E. I was happy when I saw C but only after I read E, i realized that C was assuming that population of both other areas increased. Always a good practice to read all choices :)
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ditrama [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 05:14
Whats wrong with D?

If the Korva's population increase is less than that of the other two then it also proves the stated case.

terp26 wrote:

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ditrama [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 01:29
C and D take extreme assumption. E is the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 397

Re: Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions. [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 06:14
I do not agree with the OA.

If the population of K is 100, the one of M is 10 and the one of G is 5 , then according to question E, we could have such as increase in population : +50% for K, 51% for M and 0% for G (K's population grew by a smaller percentage then at least one of the two others). Before the increase, the proportion of inhabitant living in K was 86.9%, after the increase it is 89.5%.... And this in contrary with the statement made in the statement!

Therefore in this case answer E does not apply and is wrong.

For me it's answer D.

Suggestions?

Think outside the box

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions. [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 11:55
I think the answer should be C.
For D , I can have an example like Say init : K = 1, M = 2, G=2. On increase say K' = 3 ( Increase of 2) and M' = 5 ( increase of 3) and G' = 5. Previous % of K = 1/5. After increase %k = 3/(3+5+5)= 3/13. Now 3/13 > 1/5 thus the statement that it decreased is negated.

For c: We can assume that the % increase for K is 10% and G,M increased by 20% . Then the new ratio is 1.1K / (1.1k + 1.2G + 1.2M) .
K/(K+M+G) is always greater than 1.1K/(1.1k + 1.2G+1.2M). These 2 ratios are same when G,M are 1.1 and K/K+M+G is lesser if G,M are less than 1.1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 397

Re: Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions. [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 16:31
anjancgc wrote:
I think the answer should be C.
For D , I can have an example like Say init : K = 1, M = 2, G=2. On increase say K' = 3 ( Increase of 2) and M' = 5 ( increase of 3) and G' = 5. Previous % of K = 1/5. After increase %k = 3/(3+5+5)= 3/13. Now 3/13 > 1/5 thus the statement that it decreased is negated.

For c: We can assume that the % increase for K is 10% and G,M increased by 20% . Then the new ratio is 1.1K / (1.1k + 1.2G + 1.2M) .
K/(K+M+G) is always greater than 1.1K/(1.1k + 1.2G+1.2M). These 2 ratios are same when G,M are 1.1 and K/K+M+G is lesser if G,M are less than 1.1.

Hi,

iIdeed, i think you are right!

using numerical has major flaws!

C seems the best

Think outside the box

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions. [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 11:48
Hi everyone. I know this is an old post and that the OE is E, but i still have some doubts. Please explain.

What about if our analysis goes this way (Check the attachment please)

Attachment:
Ditrama.png
Ditrama.png [ 6.59 KiB | Viewed 409 times ]

It would prove that if just one of the other regions grows by a greater percentage than Korva did, Korva would not always have a decreased share of population. Please your help.

Thanks in advanced
Attachments

Ditrama.xlsx [9.13 KiB]
Downloaded 8 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions. [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 10:10
betofx wrote:
Hi everyone. I know this is an old post and that the OE is E, but i still have some doubts. Please explain.

What about if our analysis goes this way (Check the attachment please)

Attachment:
Ditrama.png

It would prove that if just one of the other regions grows by a greater percentage than Korva did, Korva would not always have a decreased share of population. Please your help.

Thanks in advanced

Hope this helps, i found it on another forum and found it useful

Argument states that although K's population increased their revenue went down, which means K's population increase was less than the COMBINED increase of M and G

Let's start with 2010 (last/base year)
2010 - Total population 100
K - 40 (40% of total)
M - 40 (40% of total)
G - 20 (20% of total)

Inference 1 : In order for K's population to increase but also for its percentage to decrease total population of Ditrama had to have increased
Inference 2 : For the sake of proving E, there are 3 possible scenarios. K has a smaller increase than none, at least 1, or both other countries

2011 Total population 110 - smaller increase than one other country
K - 43 (7.5% increase; 39.09% of total)
M - 46 (15% increase; 41.82% of total)
G - 21 (5%% increase; 19.09% of total)
2011 Total population 110 - smaller increase than both countries
K - 41 (2.5% increase; 37.27% of total)
M - 46 (15% increase; 41.82% of total)
G - 23 (15% increase; 20.91% of total)

You can see that in both scenarios K's population increased while decreasing their share of the revenue pool (% of total population)

Now let's say that K had a bigger increase than both countries:
2011 Total population 110
K - 46 (15% increase; 41.82% of total)
M - 43 (7.5% increase; 39.09% of total)
G - 21 (5% increase; 19.09% of total)

In this scenario, K increased their population but also increased their share of the revenue pool (% of total population) which cannot be true according to the argument stated

I know this is a very simplified example but it seems like whatever number you plug in with accordance to the restrictions in the argument, it's impossible for K's population increase (%-wise) to be bigger than BOTH the other countries.

Hope this wasn't too confusing and if anyone finds anything wrong with my reasoning please inform!
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 06-27-2014
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions. [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 07:34
The key here is which of the following must be true..
C is an answer which cannot must be true option, even one of the federation population % can give you the required answer. and hence E provides best answer.
Ditrama is a federation made up of three autonomous regions.   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2014, 07:34