Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2003
Posts: 265
Location: sydney
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2004, 21:40
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (02:18) correct 24% (01:31) wrong based on 388 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 49
Page: 136
Difficulty:


Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers in my division with Vitech computers.
General manager: Why?
Division manager: It costs 28 percent less to train new staff on the Vitech.
General manager: But that is not a good enough reason. We can simply hire only people who already know how to use the Microton computer.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the general manager's objection to the replacement of Microton computers with Vitechs?

(A) Currently all employees in the company are required to attend workshops on how to use Microton computers in new applications.
(B) Once employees learn how to use a computer, they tend to change employers more readily than before.
(C) Experienced users of Microton computers command much higher salaries than do prospective employees who have no experience in the use of computers.
(D) The average productivity of employees in the general managerтАЩs company is below the average productivity of the employees of its competitors.
(E) The high costs of replacement parts make Vitech computers more expensive to maintain than Microton computers.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.


Last edited by Narenn on 07 Oct 2013, 09:42, edited 2 times in total.
Necessary Corrections for Official Guide Verbal Review 2nd Edition Project
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 517
Location: MS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 22:27
Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers in my division with Vitech
computers.
General manager: Why?
Division manager: It costs 28 percent less to train new staff on the Vitech.
General manager: But that is not a good enough reason. We can simply hire only people
who already know how to use the Microton computer.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the general managers objection to
the replacement of Microton computers with Vitechs?

A. Currently all employees in the company are required to attend workshops on how to useMicroton computers in new applications.

B. Once employees learn how to use a computer, they tend to change employers morereadily than before.

C. Experienced users of Microton computers command much higher salaries than doprospective employees who have no experience in the use of computers.

D. The average productivity of employees in the general managers company is below theaverage productivity of the employees of its competitors.

E. The high costs of replacement parts make Vitech computers more expensive tomaintain than Microton computers.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 587
Location: Chicago
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 22:33
I woulld go with C..
Expericend users of Microton wud command higher salaires so as to take away the cost advantage tht Microton has
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 1071
Location: USA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 23:10
C stands tall and clear. Unless I have missed something in the argument.

The idiot, General Manager's argument is based on the reasoning that people with expereince can be hired easily. C provides evidence against his reasoning and hence undermines his objection.
_________________

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2005
Posts: 727
Location: Madrid
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 23:34
C for me
_________________

IE IMBA 2010

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 23:55
We need to find out that this reason is enough to replace computers: "It costs 28 percent less to train new staff on the Vitech"

Only C says about that. All others seem out of scope.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 517
Location: MS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2006, 00:03
Pls anybody explain why A is wrong .

BTW OA is C
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2006, 00:06
cool_jonny009 wrote:
Pls anybody explain why A is wrong .

BTW OA is C


I think A is not talking about the cost. Here Division manager is more concerned about the cost savings as a result of traning activities.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2009
Posts: 145
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

Division Manager: I want to replace the Microton computers [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 04:21
Division Manager: I want to replace the Microton computers in my division with Vitech computers.
General Manager: Why?
Division Manager: It costs 28 percent less to train new staff on the Vitech.
General Manager: But that is not a good enough reason. We can simply hire only people who already know how to use the Microton computer.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the general manager's objection to the replacement of Microton computers with Vitechs?
A) Currently all employees in the company are required to attend workshops on how to use the Microton computers in new applications.
B) Once employees learn how to use a computer, they tend to change employers more readily than before.
C) Experienced used of Microton computers command much higher salaries than do prospective employees who have no experience in the use of computers.
D) The average productivity of employees in the general manager's company is below the average productivity of the employees of its competitors.
E) The high costs of replacement parts make Vitech computers more expensive to maintain than Microton computers.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 56
Schools: IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Microton vs. Vitech [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 04:30
IMO C.

The general manager's objection is based on avoiding the proposed training costs.

If, as choice C says, hiring experienced users of Microton computers is more costly than hiring employees who have no experience (who would have to be trained to use Vitech computers), the objection made by the General Manager is undermined or weakened. Choice C, therefore, is the best answer.

Choices A, B, and D are incorrect because none of them provides information relevant to an evaluation of Microton computers against Vitech computers. Choice E is also incorrect because it argues against replacing Microton computers with Vitech computers.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2009
Posts: 145
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

Re: Microton vs. Vitech [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 07:14
OA =
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C, I thought E would have been a relatively good answer, but you are right, the concern is the proposed training costs, which C addresses.

Last edited by I3igDmsu on 11 Jun 2010, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 56
Schools: IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Microton vs. Vitech [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 07:23
Thank you I3igDmsu. Nice question by the way!
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1560
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 6

Re: Microton vs. Vitech [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 11:48
C for me.

Experienced techies of Microton computers will demand more salaries than the inexperienced Vitech ones thus weakening GM's objection.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2010
Posts: 83
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Microton vs. Vitech [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 02:12
Find the Division Manager another reason to switch to ViTech!
A- Support GM
B- Support neither
C-Support Div Manager by giving a reason to switch
D- Support neither, not even talking computers
E- support GM who wants to keep Microton
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 206
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: Division Manager: I want to replace the Microton computers [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 14:52
I have chosen the answer C:

A. This answer choice neither weakens nor strengthens the argument made by the general manager. It may sound like the cost is high to train all employees, but we are concerned only with "training new staff."

B. This answer choice tends to support the argument. The reason is because if new staff were trained on Vitech, it sounds like many of them would change companies. This provides another reason not to switch over.

C. This is the correct answer. The general manager assumes that hiring Microton experts is easy to do and relatively inexpensive. However, if the cost of these experienced users is higher than to train new employees for Vitech, then this argument is weakened.

D. We are not concerned about the average productivity.

E. We are only concerned with the training costs for new staff, not the high costs of replacement parts.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I will be back!
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 69
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 38

Re: Division Manager: I want to replace the Microton computers [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 05:49
C in 1:05.
good question :)
_________________

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki


Last edited by Narenn on 06 Oct 2013, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
All similar threads have been merged.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 490
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 02:01
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

New project from GMAT Club! Click here


_________________

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 32
R: K
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 12:34
What is the problem in A?

My analysis

Division manager wants to replace the M computers with V computers because V costs 28 percent less to train new staff on the Vitech.


GM says that there is no need for training if DM hires only people who know how to use M Computer

Option A : Currently all employees in the company are requiredto attend workshops on how to use Microton computers in new applications.

This is applicable to all the employees and the DM or GM cannot change this requirement. So even if we hire staff that know M computer the basic workshop is to be attended.

Option C : Experienced users of Microton computers command much higher salaries than do prospective employees who have no experience in the use of computers.

The argument is concerned with training cost and appointing experienced employees… Why we need to salary factor for weakening the argument.

Please let me know what is wrong in the above analysis.
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 27
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 01:51
Expert's post
CARK wrote:
What is the problem in A?

My analysis

Division manager wants to replace the M computers with V computers because V costs 28 percent less to train new staff on the Vitech.


GM says that there is no need for training if DM hires only people who know how to use M Computer

Option A : Currently all employees in the company are requiredto attend workshops on how to use Microton computers in new applications.

This is applicable to all the employees and the DM or GM cannot change this requirement. So even if we hire staff that know M computer the basic workshop is to be attended.

Option C : Experienced users of Microton computers command much higher salaries than do prospective employees who have no experience in the use of computers.

The argument is concerned with training cost and appointing experienced employees… Why we need to salary factor for weakening the argument.

Please let me know what is wrong in the above analysis.


The conversation between DM and GM takes places because DM wants to decrease the costs. That's why the argument about salary (C) is relevant - employees' salaries are a cost to the company. If higher salaries are to be paid to new employees just because they are trained to use M computers, then DM's position is strengthened.
Answer A only tells us that all employees need to attend the training to use Microton computers. However, this choice does not specify who pays for the training. Thus, the fact that all employees are trained to use M computers does not help decrease costs. Only if we knew that it was the employees who covered the cost of training, we could treat this argument as relevant.
_________________

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [0], given: 185

Re: Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 23:06
Expert's post
Hi CARK,

Let me paste the question here for easy reference:

Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers in my division with Vitech computers.
General manager: Why?
Division manager: It costs 28 percent less to train new staff on the Vitech.
General manager: But that is not a good enough reason. We can simply hire only people who already know how to use the Microton computer.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the general manager's objection to the replacement of Microton computers with Vitechs?

(A) Currently all employees in the company are required to attend workshops on how to use Microton computers in new applications.
(B) Once employees learn how to use a computer, they tend to change employers more readily than before.
(C) Experienced users of Microton computers command much higher salaries than do prospective employees who have no experience in the use of computers.
(D) The average productivity of employees in the general managerтАЩs company is below the average productivity of the employees of its competitors.
(E) The high costs of replacement parts make Vitech computers more expensive to maintain than Microton computers.

CARK wrote:
What is the problem in A?

My analysis

Division manager wants to replace the M computers with V computers because V costs 28 percent less to train new staff on the Vitech.


GM says that there is no need for training if DM hires only people who know how to use M Computer


You are correct till here in your understanding of the argument.

CARK wrote:
Option A : Currently all employees in the company are requiredto attend workshops on how to use Microton computers in new applications.

This is applicable to all the employees and the DM or GM cannot change this requirement. So even if we hire staff that know M computer the basic workshop is to be attended.


Please remember whenever you read an option statement, you need to read that within the context of the argument. What is the given context? The given context is that currently the company trains its employees for Microton computers. Right?

Now, tell me what is so new thing that you find in option A? If the company currently trains its employees to use Microton computers, then currently employees should be supposed to attend some training programs. Isn't it? We can't say whether GM or DM can change the training process, but using common sense, we can say that if the company starts hiring trained people, then it may not need to have these workshops. Right? So, these workshops might not be fixed costs.

Also, if you read this option clearly, it explicitly says "Currently"; it is something which happens currently and probably may not happen in the future. So, this option statement only tells us about the present when we need to train employees for Microton computers.

Even if you ignore what I said so far and just say that workshop is a cost to the company and hence, option A weakens the claim of GM, in that case too, option A is too mild a weakener as compared to option C. Think about it. Here, we are just considering the cost of a workshop whereas option C talks about "much higher salaries". Definitely, option C much more strongly indicates that the cost of hiring trained people will be higher.

CARK wrote:
Option C : Experienced users of Microton computers command much higher salaries than do prospective employees who have no experience in the use of computers.

The argument is concerned with training cost and appointing experienced employees… Why we need to salary factor for weakening the argument.

Please let me know what is wrong in the above analysis.


If you say that the argument is only concerned about training costs and no other costs, then you are not looking at it from a real life perspective; probably, you are applying the lens of formal logic, which is too myopic and generally doesn't work well in GMAT argument, where real life logic is tested.

If DM is talking about saving training costs, it does not mean that he is not at all concerned about other costs at all. Common sense wise, he wants to reduce the costs by reducing training costs. Try to apply your real life reasoning here. Would you meet a manager who says that I just want to reduce my hiring costs by 30% even though my operational costs may increase 3 times? Not really. Right?

Therefore, even though the argument only talks about training costs, it is essentially talking about costs to the division. Therefore, option C is relevant and correct as explained previously.

Does it help?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2013, 23:06
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Is Haas replacing physical texbooks with iPads? saintforlife 1 06 Feb 2014, 14:10
Peter: I am contemplating replacing the old paneling on the gmatbull 5 22 Oct 2012, 13:44
Should I go to Columbia if I want to do general management? lunasea29 1 27 Nov 2010, 14:45
Division Manager: I want to replace the Microton computers I3igDmsu 0 24 Mar 2012, 05:49
Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers cool_jonny009 0 19 Jan 2006, 00:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.