Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do All Schools Tape Lectures For Students?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Do All Schools Tape Lectures For Students? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 19:44
When I was visiting Stern, my friend told me something that totally blew me away: the school captures video of every lecture (unless a professor specifically asks that they not do this for his classes) and uploads it to the Stern website so students can see lectures they miss, or just re-watch a lecture they attended if they're studing for finals or whatever.

Is this common practice at b-schools these days? Do they do this at undergrad level? I was really surprised, what a great concept.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

And that's not the only thing [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 20:00
I've heard they are also using some really big wooden painted boards with some movable mounting system. They write with some calcium-rich device, apparently called chalk...just messing with you... :lol: I actually was not aware of such a thing. I'll investigate what's available. One difference, though, is that attendance is mandatory at HBS (case method, community, etc.). so there's no checking on classes you've missed. It would help to study, though. Although I prefer to rely on notes & memory.

L.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 20:50
Darden is like HBS in that attendance is mandatory (case study as well). I have heard that some schools are more flexible with regards to attendance (Michigan comes to mind), but I don't know if they tape lectures for students to view.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 03:02
They do have lecture interaction as part of the scoring at Stern, so - obviously - attendance is encouraged strongly. I think the video is more as an idea that if you are really ill, attendance is an impossibility.

And that the Finance lecturer (who also bans computers) locks his door at the start of the lecture and won't let latecomers in.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 04:25
Obviously people don't use the videos as a substitute for attending every class, but let's say you wake up in mid-January and it's eight degrees outside...
  [#permalink] 05 Jun 2007, 04:25