Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 08:53
I'm interested to know if companies ever go through the resume book and contact students who they would be interested in hiring, even if the student did not apply for position?

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
refurb wrote:
I'm interested to know if companies ever go through the resume book and contact students who they would be interested in hiring, even if the student did not apply for position?

RF

Absolutely - this occurred to me a few times over the year at Kellogg. Lots of firms (especially the consulting firms early and the off-campus firms late) will proactively contact people that they have interest in from the resume books.

Plus, the career services folks are usually looking out for you as well. Especially late in the game (but if you've developed relationships with your career counselors this can begin much earlier), career counselors can often rope in contacts that will reach out to you - or atleast express interest to your career counselor that they'd love to talk with you if you reach out.

I can think of at least a half dozen interviews / one-on-one informational interviews I had with companies that were totally generated without effort on my behalf.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 16:32
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 18:52
Yes, same here. There have been people here in HKUST who have been contacted some early and others later in all types of industries. Personally, I've had a couple of enquiries (Tech). The careers office looks after you in this way, if you have indicated what you are interested in , they can help direct companies to the appropriate resumes. Likewsie, some companies whill just go through the book and pick out the people they want to talk to.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 20:12
refurb wrote:

RF

Definitely McK. They look for solid background in the industries that they cover and usually an impressive college/GPA/GMAT. For example, someone with a background from well-known tech firm and a 760+ will probably get asked to apply by the firm. I-banks will almost never reach out. They know that i-banking isn't for everyone, so they aren't going to try to convince anyone who isn't charging at them full speed ahead.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 14:46
Lots of companies do, heck I was offered interviews with two well known companies without applying but I wasn't all that interested. They definitely reach out, some much more actively than others. Some will "recommend" you submit your resume/apply, meaning you submit you probably will get an interview. Some will flat out invite people who didnt apply to interview, especially some off campus stuff. They go through the resume books and pull people with backgrounds they like. So if you have something to offer that greatly interests them then they will reach out.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 15:27
Sounds promising. Heck, I may be able to get a job out of this after all! :cool
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 14:33
This is encouraging news!

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 17:09
This actually brings up an interesting question!

How do you go about turning down an offer to interview like that? Just simply state that you aren't interested? How do you turn them down without burning bridges?

RF

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 06:26
refurb wrote:

How do you go about turning down an offer to interview like that? Just simply state that you aren't interested? How do you turn them down without burning bridges?

RF

Really, really carefully :)

I guess you could offer alternative reasons for not being interested. So instead of saying "xyz company sucks", you could say 'i'm really looking for a role where I can do abcd because of my goals of doing zxy in the future.' I think that could work?
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [3] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
refurb wrote:

RF

I actually faced this exact issue. One of the companies that sought me out was a consulting company that did exactly what I had just done before. I had made it clear that I was going to try something new for the summer, but a partner insisted that he wanted to talk to me in what ended up turning out to be a pseudo interview / sell conversation.

What I did was follow up in two ways - first I called the HR person who had been in touch with me and said pretty much the following: "I enjoyed speaking with X partner and really have enjoyed all my interactions with Y company. That being said I know some fellow classmates who are really interested in trying out consulting this summer and don't want to potentially hold up any opportunities for them. I am potentially interested in full time opportunities in the fall, but want to pursue something totally new this summer."

The HR person really appreciated that and followed up with an email a few weeks later telling me that if I changed my mind, they'd love to talk with me in the fall. I also emailed the partner with a similar message thanking them and looking forward to talk to them later.

Incidentally, I followed the same approach in off-campus recruiting in the spring. There was one opportunity that I turned down mid-process after I had gotten two offers. I basically spoke with the HR person there too and explained that I had gotten two offers and I planned on taking one and wanted to step aside. She also was very appreciative and told me to follow up with her in the Fall. Incidentally, the other Kellogg student who was interviewing with me (we drove to interviews together) ended up getting the position for the summer.

Basic message is this: if you are honest with recruiters throughout the process, genuine, and appreciative then you generally won't burn bridges. Recruiters appreciate honesty greatly and being dealt with in good faith. So long as you follow those principles then you'll be fine.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 07:20
Steel wrote:
Basic message is this: if you are honest with recruiters throughout the process, genuine, and appreciative then you generally won't burn bridges. Recruiters appreciate honesty greatly and being dealt with in good faith. So long as you follow those principles then you'll be fine.

Great post steel!

I think your right. Too many HR people have been jerked around by people who show interest but then bail or fail to follow up. The honest approach is often a pleasant surprise!

RF

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 07:50
awesome Steel! Thanks for sharing your experience!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 11:06
Agree with Steel. Had similar experience. Firm X were about to book a flight for me to travel to CA and meet their senior leadership team. But, it was clear to me I was going elsewhere for the summer.

Once I made up my mind, I called HR and expressed my interest for this fall. Also sent emails and made follow-up phone calls to keep the two Ross alums who i had gotten to know very well.

Be honest and follow-up with everyone involved. That usually does the trick.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 10:46
Another question on the topic...is it important to respond? I've been getting a few unsolicited emails but I assumed that they send them to pretty much everyone to boost attendance at their presentations or boost applications. The companies/organizations don't really fit, primarily for geographical reasons. So because of my disinterest and my belief that these are sort of template emails that they send to tons of people, I haven't been responding to politely decline. Do you experienced guys recommend a follow-up on my part?

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 13:50
Rubashov1 - I think the best advice is to politely decline, but I know I missed doing that on one. It may be possible to keep the relationship open, but I am not certain how easy that is relative to some people's expectations.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 15:40
I agree- just politely decline rather than leave them hanging. Just say you are not interested at this point in time.
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 16:07
Great info to know. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Do companies ever initiate contact in b-school?   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2010, 16:07