Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

do consulting firms only accept top Bschool grads?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

do consulting firms only accept top Bschool grads? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 11:38
I just got my BS degree in Industrial Engineering this year from a top university in the Philippines then migrated to the states cuz of family. I have 3.0 GPA pretty low cuz I was lazy back then and I do regret it. But I ended up in dean's list on my last year when I got serious. I want to apply on a consulting firm here in the states. But I am afraid they may not consider me cuz I only got BS degree and from a school they do not know about. What are my chances? I don't mind working for small firms first. Or should I go for MS degree first? However, I am afraid my chances of getting into top Bschools is pretty slim cuz of my low GPA and I have never been a president of school organizations. What's my chance of getting to top Bschools? Would consulting firms give me a hard time if I go to average Bschools? :?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 14

Re: do consulting firms only accept top Bschool grads? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 06:30
This post received
KUDOS
Step 1 - Sign up for the GMAT.
Step 2 - Prepare for the GMAT.
Step 3 - Take the GMAT.

Burn the consulting bridge when you get there. For now, you need to focus on getting a stellar GMAT score.

As to the answer for the question "do consulting firms only accept top Bschool grads?", the answer is no. But only graduates from top business schools have the door opened for them when they go to interview with the top consulting firms.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: do consulting firms only accept top Bschool grads? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2010, 14:36
oh i see...thanks :) I am now preparing for my gmat...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: do consulting firms only accept top Bschool grads? [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 14:25
Its a bit of supply and demand. When times (such as now) have a lot of qualified applicants, these firms can be narrower in their search. At other times when the economy is booming, they will expand their search to more schools.

Good luck!
Aveek Guha, President, www.mbadaycamp.com
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: do consulting firms only accept top Bschool grads? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 13:51
short answer is no, but the easiest way is to get into a top b-school program and interview your way in there. those who don't come from top b-schools are either PhD, have tons of experience, or network their way in (usually they're somewhat qualified).
Re: do consulting firms only accept top Bschool grads?   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2010, 13:51