Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 15:16
Do you even put your GPA on your resume when you are looking for internships after your first year or when you're job hunting before graduation?

How important are these grades to potential employers?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 15:53
that is a very good question and I am curious to know the answer to it as well...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 15:59
I think not - please tell me not - do they haunt you forever
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 16:02
Are you talking about undergrad grades or MBA grades? Some MBA programs do not even have grades so cannot be that important to the hiring process.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 18:03
we had a long thread about this on here just a little while ago which I cant seem to find right now.
To sum it up:
Grades sorta matter, UGPA will prob be asked for certain jobs like IB and MC

MBA grades may come up in an interview for those fields as well.

While some schools have non disclosure it not completely opaque. There are ways to tell if you are at the top or near of a class. At some schools the top 10% get some type of recognition and then the top 20 get some other kind, like Baker scholars at HBS.

Grade non disclosure only applies to recruiting on campus. If you find some job through linkedin and that company isnt active on campus then they can ask your grades. If its after you graduate then any company can ask. Its more for the companies that have an on campus presence, the school asks that MBA GPA not be involved.

Non disclosure serves two purposes:
creating a more "friendly" environment
and allowing students to stretch themselves with courses they might not take if grades mattered so much....like advanced derivatives or something like that.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

Re: Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 20:01
Grades don't matter for MBA recruiting in roughly 98% of the cases. In the remaining 2%, some companies will have online forms requiring you to put GPA and these are not necessarily banks and consultancies. For example, I know people who did really badly in their finance classes and got IB offers over people from finance and accounting backgrounds - nobody asked them about grades. At the MBA level, companies are looking for people who will be able to manage complex projects and use their interpersonal skills to persuade and manage other people, often without formal authority. GPA matters more for undergrads because there are not many other datapoints that would allow recruiters to distinguish between candidates. Besides, for UG entry-level positions, companies look for people who will do low-level analytical work that requires patience, concentration, following instructions and GPA signals the diligence necessary to do that. For MBAs, companies do not really look for the same skills and they don't pay you more than double what they pay an undergrad to do the same job. That's why they focus on soft skills, maturity, communication abilities, ability to make decisions under pressure, etc. - the personality traits and skills that are more scarce and that firms are ready to pay a premium for. I know some people who focused on their classes and grades instead of on networking and devising ther plan A, B and C, and did really badly in their on-campus search. They wished they hadn't spent that much time on classes as it didn't make much of a difference.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 21:02
Throw the above out at schools without grade disclosure like darden, they count then

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 07:30
Grades??

:lol:

The top-tier consulting firms and banks care about your grades. They might ask for GMAT scores or UG GPA too. Even in those cases, all those numbers do is get you in the door - then you're on your own.

In virtually all other cases, no one cares. Fuqua has grade disclosure, but recruiters don't ask, and no one actually puts their GPA on their resume (that's very undergrad thing to do). Your grades - seriously now - do not matter.

For that matter, no one actually gets bad grades in B-school. We're all on these grading schemes that don't use A/B/C/D - at Fuqua, we have Superior Pass (SP)/High Pass (HP)/Pass (P)/Low Pass (P). Perhaps it's just a semantical difference, but it's there to dissuade people from caring about grades in the first place. Noteworthy: at Fuqua, professors are required to contact you halfway through the term if you're in danger of getting an LP, and then they have to get written permission from the Dean (!) to actually give you one. In our class of 440-some-odd, I have heard stories of two or three people actually pulling LPs. You seriously have to work to get one. And you'll note that an LP is still a passing grade. This is the norm in most top-tier schools. As they say, "P = MBA".

You're probably paying $100k to go to B-school. You're not paying to go there and fail, or to collect a record that will dissuade employers, and schools aren't going to let you do that.

Fuqua School of Business
Daytime MBA Class of 2011

NB: I'm not an "official" Fuqua ambassador in any way. Just a guy who benefitted from the advice/views on gmatclub back when I was applying, and now looking to return the favor.

Re: Do grades matter when applying to jobs post MBA?   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2011, 07:30