Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I even have a chance of getting in?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do I even have a chance of getting in? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 10:31
Hello guys,

I graduated from Purdue about a year ago with a Political Science degree. I had a 2.40 overall gpa, and a 2.96 major gpa. I switched majors a couple of times (Biology --> Management --> Com --> Pol Sci), but still managed to graduate in four years, my grades are pretty consistently bad, all except for the last semester, which was a 3.4, and the best semester I've had in undergrad. I basically didn't focus on my grades that much, but was involved in a lot of extra curricular activities. For example, I once received a grant to host a day on campus to host underprivileged middle school kids. Basically, my extracurricular activities show initiative, but my grades definitely do not.

Since graduation, I've been working in a low level management position. Based on my practice tests, I should be able to get at least a 700 on the GMAT, and with the class I'm taking, I think I can do even better. That being said, do I have a chance of getting in anywhere, even if it is a mid or lower tier program? Are there any mid or lower tier programs that anyone would be able to recommend? Are there any top tier programs that might give me a shot? I want to apply this fall to start in fall of 2014 in a full time program.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 2.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Do I even have a chance of getting in? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 11:38
My gut says you ought to wait at least a couple of years (ideally so you have a solid 3-5 years of work experience). You just have too many things going against you right now, I think.

Your GPA is one thing, but I think the fact that you switched around a lot does not help. It just sort of paints a picture of someone who was not focused or disciplined enough. NOT saying that that's the case, but I think it's fair to say that's what it looks like.

You mention your extracurriculars, but don't elaborate beyond having organized what appears to be a single day for underprivileged kids. Good but not overwhelmingly great -- schools are looking for _sustained_ interest in service/extracurriculars, i.e., not a one-time thing. Further, it sounds like this occurred in undergrad not afterwards -- another negative. What have you done lately that can add to your profile?

One thing you really did not touch on: What exactly are you looking to get out of an MBA? Why apply right now?

Overall, I think you need to build a real case for your admissibility -- like, what sets you apart from the rest, despite the raw #s (even with a 700+ GMAT, which is gonna be vital). Right now, I have a feeling that an adcom from any top school (say, Top 30) will have a hard time overlooking the negatives. Here are my suggestions, mostly rooted in the need to wait a few years:
- Move up in your organization and/or functions - show that undergrad was one thing but your professional nature and employability are another
- Really get involved in something(s) outside of work, and sustain that interest with leadership roles and initiative
- Without a doubt, build an alternative transcript (maybe like 3+ courses?), especially if you bombed quant courses in college
- GMAT - you're giving yourself a really short window if you truly intend to apply this fall. Delay your apps by a few years and you'll have PLENTY of time to do the GMAT 2 or 3 times to get the ideal score.

Long story short - you're so young with so much time before you should worry about b-school. With time, accomplishment, and patience, your positives will begin to outshadow your negatives, and that will mean a lot for application time.

Disclosure: I too had a lackluster GPA (2.8 overall), so I suppose take my remarks with a grain of salt.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Do I even have a chance of getting in? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 12:03
no top tier will take you. you won't hear much on this forum for the lower end. if you're scoring 700 on practices, take your gmat, get some good experience, and apply in a few years. if you position yourself well with a strong gmat, strong community involvement, and a good story, you could get a top 25 school, which would position you much better for the future than a sub 50 mba. just make sure u work on those other components ard get some good work experience.
Re: Do I even have a chance of getting in?   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2013, 12:03