Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Human Resources
GRE 1: 326 Q168 V158
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE. [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 07:02
GMAT-770
college aggregate-70 %
extracurriculars-
1)Street Cause, Chief Executive Officer and General Secretary (2012 and
currently):
Street Cause, a Government registered organization established in 2009, is among the
prominent NGOs in India with a turnover of 1.1 million rupees per annum and a strong student
network of over 1000 students.it was awarded the best student run ngo in my State
2)College Ambassador for IIT kharagpur entrepreneurship cell
3)street cause Vice president for my college division
4)Chairman of Warm hearts Organisation(an NGO with a student base of 100 students)
5)Student representative of National service scheme(NSS) for my college,110 students work for me
6)vice chairman of Society of automotive Engineers(SAE) for my college
7)brown belt-1 in Goju-ryu karate do style.
8)national 3rd in karate in national tournament in 9th grade
Entered 2nd round in karate international tournament in 7th grade
9)MUN(model united nations) cbit delegate for somalia
10)The Organizer for 'business plan' SAE convention in my city,first one ever in my state
11)student organizer in my college technical fests for robotics
12)publicity organizer for SAE

letters of recomendation-
from a scientist who taught me in college,he got his phd in russia and he;s pretty damn famous
2nd LOR from the chairman of Street cause

and i shall be the president for the 'Literary club' in my college,and possibly the student activities president as well(in other words i will govern the work of all the other presidents of various collegiate clubs),Placement coordinator in the semester,i still got a whole semester for HBS 2+2.
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE. [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 12:28
nandkishore wrote:
GMAT-770
college aggregate-70 %
extracurriculars-
1)Street Cause, Chief Executive Officer and General Secretary (2012 and
currently):
Street Cause, a Government registered organization established in 2009, is among the
prominent NGOs in India with a turnover of 1.1 million rupees per annum and a strong student
network of over 1000 students.it was awarded the best student run ngo in my State
2)College Ambassador for IIT kharagpur entrepreneurship cell
3)street cause Vice president for my college division
4)Chairman of Warm hearts Organisation(an NGO with a student base of 100 students)
5)Student representative of National service scheme(NSS) for my college,110 students work for me
6)vice chairman of Society of automotive Engineers(SAE) for my college
7)brown belt-1 in Goju-ryu karate do style.
8)national 3rd in karate in national tournament in 9th grade
Entered 2nd round in karate international tournament in 7th grade
9)MUN(model united nations) cbit delegate for somalia
10)The Organizer for 'business plan' SAE convention in my city,first one ever in my state
11)student organizer in my college technical fests for robotics
12)publicity organizer for SAE

letters of recomendation-
from a scientist who taught me in college,he got his phd in russia and he;s pretty damn famous
2nd LOR from the chairman of Street cause

and i shall be the president for the 'Literary club' in my college,and possibly the student activities president as well(in other words i will govern the work of all the other presidents of various collegiate clubs),Placement coordinator in the semester,i still got a whole semester for HBS 2+2.

HBS, understandably, looks for outstanding academic performance for its 2+2 program. 770 - cool ; 70% at IIT-kgp : Not that great.

You will need to probably explain a bit why your college grades are not consistent with rest of your achievements. Work hard and try to increase your gpa in the coming semesters. Your rest of the profile is solid and if your gpa was a bit higher , I would have said you have a pretty good chance. As of now, its a stretch. (perspective: the program is insanely competitive and almost a stretch for everyone who applies :) )

You may also research on Yale's silver scholars program.

Good luck with your application.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Human Resources
GRE 1: 326 Q168 V158
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE. [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 20:01
thanks alot man :)! But the course ive taken is harrowing! The university topper has an aggregate of 80 percent,I'm studying mechatronics and the course is unique in my state as in mine is the only college in my state having the course!
Plus i was considering a certification of profiency in english,which is considered as the hardest of its kind by the university of cambridge,will it help boost my profile by any magnitude?
And thank you so much for apprising me of the silver scholar yale program :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE. [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 20:47
Let us step back a bit. Your gpa looks okay relatively. But, are you in IIT-kgp? If you can let us know your college, it will be easier to evaluate.

Posted from my mobile device Image

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 307 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE. [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 21:14
Dude HBS as a goal is OK. Do consider other colleges/ else wait for 3 years and apply to Top 10. Mechatronics or Not 70% at IIT KGP is nothing to be frowned at. With the same effort one can get 80% at other top colleges with lenient grading .

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 613

Kudos [?]: 2411 [0], given: 716

Re: do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE. [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 03:13
Expert's post
Have you taken the GMAT or are you expecting a 770 score?
Because one of your other post says your GMAT is 760.
In any case scoring 760-770 on the GMAT might be harder than you think.
Also, your goals and your story deserves a far more significant place than your involvements in community activities and your undergrad courses.
Can you tie them together? If you can, you are good to go.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE. [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 07:57
We had a 100% success rate this year with our 2+2 clients. Based on what you presented, your credentials will place you in the group that would be considered a serious candidate. However, we have found that those candidates who apply to 2+2 tend to be a very accomplished and focused group of young people, all of who work very hard, set high standards and goals for themselves and invest heavily in their application process. So, this means that you would have to continue your momentum of achievement and submit a compelling application, essays and recommendations as well as perform extremely well on your interview. I cannot emphasize enough how important these factors are in distinguishing yourself from this unique peer group of applicants.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE. [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 23:26
Hmm, the laundry list you give seems nice, but in the end it is about picking 2 great examples you can support in your essays. You won't have the space to talk about 10 accomplishments. Having said that, if you are part of your entrepreneurship community on campus, that's great. But if you do not have a startup or seriously improved the organization, you might just want to put it on your resume but not make it the lead-topic of an essay. Selling yourself as the entrepreneurship guy in HBS 2+2 will be tough, considering that there are a bunch of people your age that founded million dollar businesses and will apply to HBS as well. The same holds true for selling yourself as mother Theresa- there are so many students doing great work in NGOs. Thus, my advice is to show the committee that you are a well rounded guy (at least you seem like one). I know plenty of high achievers, but many are either great at school, great at work or socially active. If you can communicate that you will bring fun, passion and diversity to campus, you have a good shot :-D
Re: do i got a shot at hbs 2+2?? WITHMY CURRENT PROFILE.   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2012, 23:26