Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I have a shot? (Consortium)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do I have a shot? (Consortium) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 22:11
Hello, Please take a look at my info below and let me know if you think I have a good shot at one of the Consortium schools or my back up schools. Thanks in advance for your help!

*26 years old

*4 Years work experience at start date

*African American Male

*Pre-MBA job- Jr. Customer Development Manager/ Leadership Development program at Nestle USA

*Post MBA desire- Marketing/ Brand Management

*GPA- 3.2 (overall)

*580 GMAT

*Study Abroad in Barcelona, Spain 1 semester

*INROADS Alum

*Volunteer
-National Urban League Young professionals org.
-Leadership Board member of a non-profit fighting poverty
-started my own award winning community service org while in college in 2005
-Youth mentoring program

Applying to the following schools through the consortium:

-NYU(top choice)-Have been invited to attend diversity weekend
-UCLA
-Dartmouth
-UVA
-Berkley
-USC

Non-Consortium:
-Penn State
-Georgetown
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Do I have a shot? (Consortium) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 19:41
Have you taken the GMAT again? If you can get in the 600's then you will definitely improve your chances. University of Virginia GMAT mean is 701. NYU's 80% range is 680-760. UCLA 80% range is 650-750. I searched Dartmouth's site but they make it too difficult to find the range of the GMAT scores. This site offers a vast amount of information to improve your score. If you have the time then you should try to improve your score. I read the Consortium mission and you seem to meet their requirements. Everything else looks great. You still have to do well with your essays though. You could focus on your leadership roles and use the optional essay to explain how the test does not represent your abilities(someone told me they did this). In my opinion, the test does not measure anything. They are just trying to weed people out.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NSHMBA
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Do I have a shot? (Consortium) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 20:28
I submitted my app via consortium this year, and I would agree with Karite in suggesting you try and boost the GMAT. As some of the admissions consultants like to say, the adcoms only "blink" so many times. Meaning that they will only overlook so many less than stellar aspects of your application. To maximize your chances improve where you can, if you can get a mid 600s GMAT that would be one less thing for them to worry about.

Also, consider that Berkeley and UCLA have two of the highest average GPA's around, and you would be below their 80% range for both GMAT and GPA. It would be hard to say you have a chance without being in the 80% or better for at least one of them. After all, the schools also say "look at the range", but they do say just that, I think being below the range for both might not get your app much of a read. I think you should focus on applying to schools where you can get at least one of your attributes within the middle 80% range (many schools have average GPA's of about 3.3), and preferably both.

Everything else looks good, so good luck and give it your best shot!