Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

do i have any chance?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

do i have any chance? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 17:40
I would like to apply to a PHD in Finance

My GMAT score is 680 47Q, 36V
and I have a masters in economics GPA 3.73

do i have any chance in a top 30 school?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 06:45
Dear conocieur

I would say your chances are good but your GMAT score may hurt you everywhere, primarily because of your area of interest. IF you get shortlisted, then it depends on many other factors apart from the GMAT. The score of 680-700 is borderline score - IF you are applying for 2006 entry, perhaps you could take another crack at GMAT, if it is ok with you !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 17:16
Sameer,
Thanks a lot for your evaluation, I was thinking the same, I'm about the borderline.
I have to think seriously about taking the exam again, I think I'm not that too far away for the 700+
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 19:01
Hi Sameer,

What do you think about the reverse situation? I am applying for accounting PhDs, my GMAT is 760, but my undergrad GPA is 2.7 (liniar conversion) - my grad (Master of Business) GPA is 3.7.

Thanks,
Mick
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 04:40
Dear Mick

That is a very positive scene :-D

The hurdle of GMAT is over for you - congrats for a great score.

The GPA's are important for some schools - not all. The MBA GPA matters more and that is fine ! I would place my total focus on getting a good SOP and emailing profs. Chances are bright !
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Q on AWA score of GMAT - do they help? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 10:01
Does a high AWA score help in any way at all? I have a 5 and a total GMAT score in the 93rd percentile.. I am applying for doctoral admissions to some of the top 20 mostly in the info systems area and have a Masters from IIM Bombay - a reputed business school in India.

I am trying to see if that helps at all.. I am applying to the major ones like
MIT, Stanford, Duke, CMU and also, Ohio State, Arizona State, Univ of Maryland and Michigan.

Has anyone any idea if the admission commitees look at the AWA score at all and if so, is 5 even a good number? And is applying to around 10 or 11 schools a good idea?

deepti
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2006, 07:17
Hi, I have recently taken the GMAT and scored 740 Q49 V41.
I m in my 4th yr of undergrad-BBA in Accounting. I wanna do a PhD in either Accounting or Finance. My GPA is 3.93/4 and this is the highest GPA in the dept. Do u guys think I stand any chance in top-10, top-20 or perhaps in top-30? I have been very nervous on the GMAT-day and underperformed in Quant. I can easily score 51, at least 50 in Quant. Do u think my Quant 49 will hamper my chances of admission? Do u suggest me to retake for a better Quant score since PhD requires good quantitaive skills and b-school always looks for good quant skills in PhD candidates. In our undergrad, we completed 2 courses on calculus, 2 on statistics, 2 on business maths, 2 on economics. In all these course I have 4, the highest possible grade in the university.

Plz suggest me wht to do. I m in a fix whether to retake the GMAT or not. I expect to get 770 or 780 if I retake. Thanx
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2006, 22:52
Mahfuz:

IMHO, if you are applying to top 20 Finance PhD programs then you probably don't have enough math. Though you have a high Q GMAT score it is important to have a solid foundation in Math. If you look at the profile of the students applying to top Econ departments they have courses like analysis and topology and most certainly multi-variate calculus plus a calculus based probability course. And finance is even harder to get into then Econ. Again this is just what I have found out in my research and should be backed up with your own. Good luck.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2006, 03:30
air1980 wrote:
Mahfuz:

IMHO, if you are applying to top 20 Finance PhD programs then you probably don't have enough math. Though you have a high Q GMAT score it is important to have a solid foundation in Math. If you look at the profile of the students applying to top Econ departments they have courses like analysis and topology and most certainly multi-variate calculus plus a calculus based probability course. And finance is even harder to get into then Econ. Again this is just what I have found out in my research and should be backed up with your own. Good luck.

Thanx for the reply. Then do u suggest me to go for Accounting? If so, should I retake the GMAT for better score to get into top-schools? My undergrad major is in accounting. Will that help me anyway? Thanx again.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 15:13
I don't know anything about accounting programs, but I would assume that it would require less mathematical preperation. As for the GMAT, I suppose you could write the GMAT again, but I think that 740 is considered a pretty good score. The best thing you can do is find out which schools you are interested in going to and then begin to research from there. This is a cumbersome task, but it is essential if you are serious about pursuing a PhD.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 03:18
Hi, guys..I would like to apply to a PHD in marketing (MIT) I have graduated from the University of applied sciences with MBA in Intern.Management and Marketing(Germany) with GPA 2.1 and Intern. University of Kyrgyzstan with diploma of distinction GPA 1.2, I also have only 2 years of working experience, what I do not have is GMAT score, but I am going to make GMAT soon, how would you evaluate my chances? Hope to hear from you
Aiko
  [#permalink] 08 Feb 2006, 03:18