Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I have any chance at Part time program?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do I have any chance at Part time program? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 10:44
I've always been pretty strong academically---I work hard in everything that I do, both at work, and in the classroom. Unfortunately, I have always been a horrible standardized test taker---not all tests, just ones that are given out in masse----like the GMAT.

My main issue is timing---I work slowly through things--I was almost always the last to leave an exam during my undergrad days. Course, working slowly and carefully through the GMAT is not the way to go.

That said, what would you think of my chances to get accepted to the part-time program at the Univ of New Hampshire?

-25 yrs old (White Male)
-3.2 Undergrad GPA (Dbl Major in History and Communications)
-Univ New Hampshire Undergrad
-3+ yrs of Work Experience (Half the time as a Materials Buyer at a Large Book Publishing Company....the other half as an Inventory Coordinator at a smaller book publishing company)
-Both positions have exposed me to various parts of the business
-My primary interest is Supply Chain Management---

-Graduate Business Coursework at Northeastern where I earned a Certificate in Supply Chain Management.
-This wasnt weekend day sessions or anything but 4 semesters worth of work where I was in MBA classes.
-3.57 GPA


Now for the bad....470 GMAT
This was my 2nd attempt at it---the first time I got a 430 and applied but was told to re-take and improve. So I did improve but not that much. Frustrating because on both tests I had been scoring in the mid 500's on the practice tests and just couldnt take the 'pressure' on D-DAY.

Avg GMAT is 560 at the school with the 80% range going form 480-640.

Anyhow, what would you think my chances are?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4954
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 66

Re: Do I have any chance at Part time program? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 22:05
Expert's post
xwhaler wrote:
I've always been pretty strong academically---I work hard in everything that I do, both at work, and in the classroom. Unfortunately, I have always been a horrible standardized test taker---not all tests, just ones that are given out in masse----like the GMAT.

My main issue is timing---I work slowly through things--I was almost always the last to leave an exam during my undergrad days. Course, working slowly and carefully through the GMAT is not the way to go.

That said, what would you think of my chances to get accepted to the part-time program at the Univ of New Hampshire?

-25 yrs old (White Male)
-3.2 Undergrad GPA (Dbl Major in History and Communications)
-Univ New Hampshire Undergrad
-3+ yrs of Work Experience (Half the time as a Materials Buyer at a Large Book Publishing Company....the other half as an Inventory Coordinator at a smaller book publishing company)
-Both positions have exposed me to various parts of the business
-My primary interest is Supply Chain Management---

-Graduate Business Coursework at Northeastern where I earned a Certificate in Supply Chain Management.
-This wasnt weekend day sessions or anything but 4 semesters worth of work where I was in MBA classes.
-3.57 GPA


Now for the bad....470 GMAT
This was my 2nd attempt at it---the first time I got a 430 and applied but was told to re-take and improve. So I did improve but not that much. Frustrating because on both tests I had been scoring in the mid 500's on the practice tests and just couldnt take the 'pressure' on D-DAY.

Avg GMAT is 560 at the school with the 80% range going form 480-640.

Anyhow, what would you think my chances are?


xwhaler,

Well, since your score is outside their middle 80% there would have to be serious mitigating aspects to your profile for them to give you a shot, such as being an underrepresented minority, etc. I don't see a lot of compensating factors in the profile. Though the high GPA is good, it was in liberal arts majors.

That said, you are applying to their part-time program where selectivity would be looser, you are an alum, and you do have a respectable work profile etc. So certainly apply. I would give them a full-court press in terms of showing your total devotion to UNH--that is, shmooze like crazy, build a network in their B-school, get outstanding reco letters, and pour your heart and your soul into your essays.

Good luck,

_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 07:32
Paul,
Thanks very much. I have already completed the application back in July when I applied the first time so the recomendation letetrs I got were outstanding and I worked real hard on the essays---being a History major undergrad I had to write a lot and am a strong writer (5.5 AWA on both GMAT attempts)

I had been doing the self-campaigning that you spoke of and am asking to be considered for an interview where I can/will show them that I am a great fit for the program.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go.
They run a small program up here and are really trying to break into what is refered to around this board as the Near-Elite Fronteir category. Last year they put out a big press release that they were ranked #83 by US News marking the 1st time in the program's history that they cracked the top 100.

Thanks.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4954
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 66

 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2007, 19:02
Expert's post
xwhaler wrote:
Paul,
Thanks very much. I have already completed the application back in July when I applied the first time so the recomendation letetrs I got were outstanding and I worked real hard on the essays---being a History major undergrad I had to write a lot and am a strong writer (5.5 AWA on both GMAT attempts)

I had been doing the self-campaigning that you spoke of and am asking to be considered for an interview where I can/will show them that I am a great fit for the program.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go.
They run a small program up here and are really trying to break into what is refered to around this board as the Near-Elite Fronteir category. Last year they put out a big press release that they were ranked #83 by US News marking the 1st time in the program's history that they cracked the top 100.

Thanks.


xwhaler,

Thanks for the insights on UNH and please keep us posted.

_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 09:46
I've just been conditionally accepted. The condition is that I receive a grade of B or better in the first 3 courses I take.

I'm very pleased with the outcome after a lot of hard work. So for anyone that receives a low GMAT score and feels like just throwing in the towel, don't.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4954
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 66

 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 21:38
Expert's post
xwhaler wrote:
I've just been conditionally accepted. The condition is that I receive a grade of B or better in the first 3 courses I take.

I'm very pleased with the outcome after a lot of hard work. So for anyone that receives a low GMAT score and feels like just throwing in the towel, don't.


xwhaler,

Congratulations! That seems like a reasonable condition on their part, certainly a highly motivational one!

Good luck to you,

_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Part time programs - do I stand a chance? topmbaaspirant 0 15 Apr 2010, 11:24
Part time programs - do I stand a chance? topmbaaspirant 1 15 Apr 2010, 10:39
Experts publish their posts in the topic Part time programs - do I stand a chance? topmbaaspirant 1 15 Apr 2010, 10:39
Experts publish their posts in the topic Part time programs....do I stand a chance? topmbaaspirant 1 15 Apr 2010, 10:38
Experts publish their posts in the topic Do I have a chance to get into Haas part-time MBA? pogino 4 07 Jul 2008, 23:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Do I have any chance at Part time program?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.