Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I have unique profile? Please evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Do I have unique profile? Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 11:14
Paul:
This is my story -

Indian Male 30 yrs.
B.S. in Civil Engg from a mediocre school in India - Graduated top of the class. (GPA = 3.6 approx)
9 months of work ex. Solved some labor disputes on a construction site.

M.S in Civil Engg from a mediocre school in U.S. (say top 70) (GPA = 3.8)
Leader of the theate troupe for the Indian association for 2 years

GMAT in 2 weeks (650 to 700, may be more)

60 months of work ex so far in Traffic Engineering (Real Estate permitting to be specific) (FLORIDA)

300 % bonus increase in 3 years

50 % salary increase in 3 years

Registered Professional Engineer

Work Profile: Consulting - Advise developers, investors, municipalities and governmental agencies on feasibility of a development based on the impacts it will have on the surrounding transportation system

PM on permitting aspect of real estate development for over 40 projects. Revenues (close to $500,000 this year)

Managed 13 employees

Testified as Expert Witness and defended clients in public hearings

Leader of the division's quality improvement program for 3 years, a division with 60 employees

Company's Toastmasters club leader (2 years)

Organized picnic events for employees (mostly helping HR)

Ocassional Habitat for humanity

Target Schools - Columbia, Stern, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Cornell, CMU Tepper or Duke.

Goals - to get into Real Estate fianance and development

Please let me know what do you think.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do I have unique profile? Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 20:44
Expert's post
bramasu wrote:
Paul:
This is my story -

Indian Male 30 yrs.
B.S. in Civil Engg from a mediocre school in India - Graduated top of the class. (GPA = 3.6 approx)
9 months of work ex. Solved some labor disputes on a construction site.

M.S in Civil Engg from a mediocre school in U.S. (say top 70) (GPA = 3.8)
Leader of the theate troupe for the Indian association for 2 years

GMAT in 2 weeks (650 to 700, may be more)

60 months of work ex so far in Traffic Engineering (Real Estate permitting to be specific) (FLORIDA)

300 % bonus increase in 3 years

50 % salary increase in 3 years

Registered Professional Engineer

Work Profile: Consulting - Advise developers, investors, municipalities and governmental agencies on feasibility of a development based on the impacts it will have on the surrounding transportation system

PM on permitting aspect of real estate development for over 40 projects. Revenues (close to $500,000 this year)

Managed 13 employees

Testified as Expert Witness and defended clients in public hearings

Leader of the division's quality improvement program for 3 years, a division with 60 employees

Company's Toastmasters club leader (2 years)

Organized picnic events for employees (mostly helping HR)

Ocassional Habitat for humanity

Target Schools - Columbia, Stern, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Cornell, CMU Tepper or Duke.

Goals - to get into Real Estate fianance and development

Please let me know what do you think.

bramasu,

My apologies for the delayed response. With the exception of your age I like your profile. A lot of nitty-gritty leadership, with impressive managerial responsibilities for your age. Your age is older than the typical U.S. MBA program by three years (average) but that's not a deal-breaker, though I recommend devoting extra space to explaining why you couldn't go for the MBA before now (hopefully out of your control). That said, your community/extracurricular is not stellar, so Columbia may be tough (one of most selective programs on this planet). I think all your other programs are eminently doable. Hit them hard with leadership stories, explain the delayed MBA, and show them you know *exactly* where you're going and exactly why their R.E. programs can get you there. Get strong (as in enthusiastic, not phoned-in) reco letters.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 05:14
Paul,
Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful. I have the following reasons.

Quote:
Your age is older than the typical U.S. MBA program by three years

I was struggling with immigration and green card for so long. If you are not aware, changing my status to students visa (non-immigrant visa) after filing for immigrant visa would show conflict and will pose problems. Because my employer started filing for my green card in 2004, I was not able to switch between non-immigrant and immigrant status. Is this a good reason ?

Quote:
your community/extracurricular is not stellar

I forgot to mention that I used to play in the semi-professional Cricket league for about 18 months and later conducted a quadrangular cricket tournament and participated in it. Will this suffice for community/extracurricular ?

I am planning to get my application into Columbia for 2008 ED. Columbia is my first choice school. Do you think this will increase my chances with a GMAT (scheduled nex week) between 650 - 700?

Please let me know. Thanks again.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 13:02
Expert's post
bramasu wrote:
Paul,
Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful. I have the following reasons.

Quote:
Your age is older than the typical U.S. MBA program by three years

I was struggling with immigration and green card for so long. If you are not aware, changing my status to students visa (non-immigrant visa) after filing for immigrant visa would show conflict and will pose problems. Because my employer started filing for my green card in 2004, I was not able to switch between non-immigrant and immigrant status. Is this a good reason ?

Quote:
your community/extracurricular is not stellar

I forgot to mention that I used to play in the semi-professional Cricket league for about 18 months and later conducted a quadrangular cricket tournament and participated in it. Will this suffice for community/extracurricular ?

I am planning to get my application into Columbia for 2008 ED. Columbia is my first choice school. Do you think this will increase my chances with a GMAT (scheduled nex week) between 650 - 700?

Please let me know. Thanks again.

Bramasu,

1. Yes, the immigration reason is a solid reason. You will want to show them that even while the visa issue was limiting your options you were outpacing peers and racking up atypical impact within the constraints you found yourself in. If you do, the schools will cut you slack for your age.

2. The cricket leadership is OK. Three issues: cricket is not all that unusual an involvement for your demographic so its value-add is less; it's not social impact-oriented, which is probably the preferred extracurricular; and if it's not ongoing they'll wonder why you aren't involved in your community now.

3. Yes, getting your GMAT into the high 600s and applying as early as possible for Columbia's ED deadline can make a difference in your odds there.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog