Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: NYU STERN
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 10:38
Hello All!!

So Some of you know I was accepted to NYU a couple of weeks ago -I had applied late however to Columbia (like last day possible).

I paid my NYU deposit yesterday and TODAY Columbia invites me to interview ahhhh! Clearly an interview doesn't mean acceptance but I was sincerely interested in Columbia and thought it was hopeless- but still I like NYU too! I visited both - they were both different but I liked each one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the difference between the programs (I am interested in Marketing, Social Enterprise and potentially taking some entertainment courses - ultimately want to pursue cause related marketing)? I am not just talking courses but other things as well.

ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 10:47
If are't 100% sure you would go to NYU over Columbia, then interview at Columbia and see what happens. If you get in then you can make that decision.
SP
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 10:48
Why not??? Its an interview, do it and see what happens. If you get in then you have to make a decision but until that point why stress it. Heck you never know columbia could give you a bunch of money and that makes for an easy decision. Both are great schools, neither are known as marketing powerhouses so you aren choosing between a great marketing school and an ultra elite...but both do have great brands overall. I would say Columbia does have the better name though.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 10:49

You have nothing to lose ( and no headache :wink: ) until you receive an offer from CBS.

If you want to, go do the interview. Going to interview alone won't affect the fact whether you paid deposit to another school or not.

However here's a disclaimer:

NYU interview admit means you are very likely to get admitted if you do nothing to hurt your profile during the interview. (NYU Stern has low percentage of interview invite for FT program compared to other schools, and high percentage of offering admission to these interview invitees....)

However, CBS is a different story. They offer interviews to many applicants and very few get admits.

Therefore, you have nothing to lose if you decide to pursue CBS interview - in my opinion. Good luck.

Current Student
Schools: NYU STERN
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 10:59
Thanks a lot everyone! That's what I figure - what the heck? I got nothing to lose (but $4500 deposit).

The only thing is for NYU I was accepted to Summer Start and need to register by June - Any idea how fast Columbia moves after giving an interview?

THANKS!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 11:09

Some hear as soon as 7-10 days from interview date. Others take much longer. Who knows why? :-D

Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 11:14
NYU has a $4.5K deposit???? boy.... that's a hefty one
Current Student
Schools: Cranfield SOM

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 11:34
I would think that the CBS adcom would expedite the decision if you inform them about yuor NYU registration dates. After all you attended the interview which shows interest to join the prorgam.

Maybe someone else can also comment.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, NYU
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 11:54
Let me start out first by saying congrats! Columbia and NYU are both excellent schools. You should definitely go on the interview. Like everybody saids, it doesn't hurt to look. Maybe they'll even give you a ton of $$$. If you do go on the interview, goodluck! And let us know how it went. I think I can speak for the 2010 applicants and as an applicant to both of those two schools, any application advice you can send over our way would be greatly appreciated. Now go get 'em!

A New Yorker's MBA Journey Yo!
http://xlick.blogspot.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 12:09
Nothing to lose - you should absolutely attend the interview. Also you can have a confident demeanor at the interview as you already have been accepted at NYU. That confidence will often work to your advantage.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Re: DO I Interview when I paid deposit at another School?   [#permalink] 13 May 2009, 12:09