Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I need a GMAT score above my school's average GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Do I need a GMAT score above my school's average GMAT? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 11:48
I am taking the exam on December 22nd and I am wondering what score range I would need? Also, any other advice given my profile would be fantastic!

Here is my current profile:

Nationality: US

Education:
- Undergrad: Rhodes College - BA in Business Administration (Cumulative GPA: 2.97/Major GPA: 3.13) and a Minor in Spanish. Participated in two study abroad programs: a summer immersion program studying in Spain and a summer program studying at University of Oxford.
- Graduate: University of Texas at Dallas - MS in Accounting and Information Management (GPA: 4.0). Graduated with concentration in Internal Auditing. The program for Internal Auditing at UTD is one of two programs in the US and six programs worldwide that have the Internal Auditing Education Partnership center for excellence distinction.

Work Experience: Will have around 45 months when I apply and around 50 to 55 months when I matriculate.
- Internal Audit Internship - Southwest Airlines - 6 months (Completed full-time internship while working on MS degree) - Performed work on audit engagement teams with various different departments of the company including IT, revenue planning, marketing, payroll, and financial accounting.
- Staff Accountant - Small Public Accounting and Advisory Firm - - 11 months - Worked on business development, various audits for non-profit, hospitality and government clients, and a large long-term nine month consulting engagement with the US Coast Guard - 11 months
- Management Consultant - IBM Global Business Services - 15 months - Working on business transformation process consulting engagements Federal clients including major DoD agencies.

Post MBA Goals: Continue management consulting work, but with heavy focus on overall corporate strategy and exposure to international business.

Extra-Curriculars/Affiliations: - Moderate involvement

Beta Alpha Psi Accounting Honor Society - UTD chapter, Hands on Greater DC Cares Community member - participate in various organized community service projects in the D.C. area with this network, IBM On-Demand service community - worked on various community service projects with my employer, Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity - Philanthropy Co-Chairman in college - Organized monthly service projects for organization members.

I am trying to figure out where I need to fall in the GMAT range to be a candidate for top ten programs. My personal top choice is Kellogg for its team-work focus and its program's strength in general management. My undergrad grades were far from impressive, but I believe my profile shows that I have overcome that shortcoming and am capable. I am just wondering if a GMAT score around my target schools' averages will suffice or if I still need something above the average to compensate for my undergrad GPA. Also any other advice would be very helpful!

If you have any questions re: my profile, please let me know

Thanks for reviewing!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do I need a GMAT score above my school's average GMAT? [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 07:18
Expert's post
It's hard to say completely offhand because we'd need more info, especially about what you have actually done at work. I would say that given your low GPA, having more than the mean would be really really helpful for you. Business school LOVES people they know are clever. and if you can offset that low GPA with a rockin GMAT score, you have good PROOF that you can academically succeed. It doesn't mean that if you get the average or a few points lower you can;t apply! But in the mix of things, you need to do whatever you can, whether its in the GMAT, essays, or otherwise to far above the average.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!