Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 18:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do i need to change the way i study

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Do i need to change the way i study [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 12:50
Hi,
For the past 25 days I have been studying for Gmat, but dont see enough imrovement. Should i change my study strategy.
My approach has been as below:
1 st i go through the books, try to understand the concepts & then practice a few examples & then try to solve the unsolved egs.But i try to study various topics , like Rc or LR side by side. As in i dont 1 st complete 1 section & then move to another.
I am really upset with the slow progress.I really want to speed up with my studies .
Pls guide.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do i need to change the way i study [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 19:39
In the starting stage, the goal is to build a firm foundation and understand all the fundamentals. During this stage, it's better to concentrate on only one question format (PS, DS, CR, RC or SC)

Check this thread for more info ;)

Click Here

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1028

Kudos [?]: 4449 [0], given: 162

Re: Do i need to change the way i study [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 17:14
Expert's post
ansgmat wrote:
Hi,
For the past 25 days I have been studying for Gmat, but dont see enough imrovement. Should i change my study strategy.
My approach has been as below:
1 st i go through the books, try to understand the concepts & then practice a few examples & then try to solve the unsolved egs.But i try to study various topics , like Rc or LR side by side. As in i dont 1 st complete 1 section & then move to another.
I am really upset with the slow progress.I really want to speed up with my studies .
Pls guide.

Improving your score in GMAT takes some time so you need to be patient. You need to have strong concepts to perform well in Quant. For Verbal, focused practice is a must. Study for both Quant and Verbal 5-6 days a week... Find out your weak areas and make sure you put in enough time there... then spend time practicing. As for whether you like to go section by section or do some sections simultaneously, it is absolutely your call. Just ensure that you are not jumping from one to the other all the time. When you start with one section, stick with it for an hour at least, then move on to the next. What you do will also depend on your comfort with the material. If you do not have too many problems, you can run the sections simultaneously, else prefer to work on one at a time...

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Do i need to change the way i study [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 13:24
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Improving your score in GMAT takes some time so you need to be patient. You need to have strong concepts to perform well in Quant. For Verbal, focused practice is a must. Study for both Quant and Verbal 5-6 days a week... Find out your weak areas and make sure you put in enough time there... then spend time practicing. As for whether you like to go section by section or do some sections simultaneously, it is absolutely your call. Just ensure that you are not jumping from one to the other all the time. When you start with one section, stick with it for an hour at least, then move on to the next. What you do will also depend on your comfort with the material. If you do not have too many problems, you can run the sections simultaneously, else prefer to work on one at a time...

Agreed, if you are first starting out try to stick to one section at a time. Maybe you will do them weekly or by 3-5 days, but the key is to make sure you are better and STRONGER in the topic that you spent 4 or 5 days on. Then after four or five weeks you can intermix them because your foundation is strong.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do i need to change the way i study [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 06:37
So two pieces of advice, which I feel have been important for my practice.

1) This one may be obvious, but for every question you miss in your studies, make sure you take something from it. I consider this very important, and it's not just a matter of going and finding what the right answer was.

Every time you miss a question, you should go back and evaluate:
a) why you missed it - did you misread the question? the answer choices? did you try to solve it in your head and messed up a calculation? was it because you didn't know a fundamental rule or property?
b) what can I do in the future to avoid missing questions like these? be more careful in reading the questions? go back and study that particular subject area?
c) is this a trend? have I been missing questions like this frequently?

2) Others may disagree with me on this, but make sure you study every day. You don't necessarily have to study 5 hours every single day, but try and make sure you get at least something in.

If I know that I'm not going to have much time to study on a given day, I try squeeze in 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes before I go to bed.
Re: Do i need to change the way i study   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2011, 06:37