Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 17:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I need to know the formula for surface area of a pyramid?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Do I need to know the formula for surface area of a pyramid? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 17:17
Or is it beyond the scope of GMAT Quant?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Do I need to know the formula for surface area of a pyramid? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 19:22
Good question. I think only GMAC can tell you that. That being said its better to prepare ourselves with the popular pyramid model which is the square base and right pyramid. This is because the figure is basically a combination of square and triangle concepts. The surface area concept can be easily deduced. You can start with that and only if you have mastered all other concepts cold and have time you can build your knowledge on other kinds of pyramids.

Hope this helps

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Give Kudos if you want to say thanks :)

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 101

Kudos [?]: 1063 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Do I need to know the formula for surface area of a pyramid? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
No. Just no.

'Geometry is limited primarily to measurement and intuitive geometry or spatial visualization. Extensive knowledge of theorems and the ability to construct proofs, skills that are usually developed in a formal geometry course, are not tested. The topics included in this section are the following:
1. Lines
2. intersecting Lines and Angles
3. Perpendicular lines
4. Parallel Lines
5. Polygons (Convex)
6. Triangles
7. Quadrilaterals
8. Circles
9. Rectangular Solids and Cylinders
10. Coordinate Geometry'

This is from the Official Guide, hope this helps

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 66

Re: Do I need to know the formula for surface area of a pyramid? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 08:35
Expert's post
Zarrolou wrote:
No. Just no.

'Geometry is limited primarily to measurement and intuitive geometry or spatial visualization. Extensive knowledge of theorems and the ability to construct proofs, skills that are usually developed in a formal geometry course, are not tested. The topics included in this section are the following:
1. Lines
2. intersecting Lines and Angles
3. Perpendicular lines
4. Parallel Lines
5. Polygons (Convex)
6. Triangles
7. Quadrilaterals
8. Circles
9. Rectangular Solids and Cylinders
10. Coordinate Geometry'

This is from the Official Guide, hope this helps

Exactly. The only three shapes you need to know are the cylinder, the cube and a rectangular box. Seeing as how a cube is a special case of a rectangular box, you don't need to memorize its equations unless you're just looking to save time, as they are the same as the general case rectangular solid.

If a different 3D shape is asked of you on the GMAT, the relevant volume formula will be provided for you. Of course, that doesn't mean that you just apply the formula blindly without considering the logic of it, this is the GMAT. Typical example would be the exam giving you the equation for the volume of a pyramid, and then asking you a question that only encompasses half that volume.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Do I need to know the formula for surface area of a pyramid?   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2013, 08:35