Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I really need to take the GMAT again?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do I really need to take the GMAT again? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 14:49
Hello,

I took the GMAT last weekend, and was very disappointed in my score (580, 39Q 30V, AWA 6.0). I studied for 100+ hours across multiple platforms, and was regularly scoring between 640-680 on all my practice exams. Though I'm disappointed at how the test turned out, I'm not sure the effort to make a significant improvement is worth it for my target schools. I'm married with a 2 year old and work full time (I'm 25 years old), and don't really feel like neglecting my family again and incurring additional expenses for what would likely be a modest GMAT gain that might not really matter in the long run.

My question...will my other stats be enough for my target schools, or will I need to buckle down and hit the GMAT books again?

GPA: 3.64, around 3.8-3.9 over my last two years. BS in Bus Admin (Marketing major) from a top 20 public school.

Work experience: 4 years (5 at matriculation) as a Director of HR for a medium sized (170 employee) faith based nonprofit that cares for abused and neglected children around our state, in central America, and in Africa. Employee of the year award, progressive increases in responsibilities. Also have a PHR (Professional in Human Resources) certification.

References: From current CFO (my supervisor) and former President (now the VP of Development at a Big 12 school). I'm sure these will be great.

Essays: I'm not too worried about this either. I've had writing published at a decently sized magazine, as well as for McSweeney's, a selective literary humor journal.

Career goals: Develop my hard business skills, which are always said to be lacking by HR folks like me. Continue in the nonprofit sector with an emphasis on third world development.

Target schools: (seeking a one year program)

1. Boston University's one year international program. Their middle 80% GMAT range is 550 to 720, with a mean of 622. I'm well below the mean, but within the range. GPA average is a 3.14, which I am well above.
2. Temple University one year international program. Can't find specific stats on this program, but their full time is ranked below BU's, so I would expect them to be a little more forgiving.
3. University of Florida online MBA. This is where I did my undergrad, so they know I can succeed in their programs. The average GMAT for this program is 600, and on the website they say that you should probably retake if you score below 560. Since it's online, my guess is that there isn't necessarily a cap on the number of admits, and that you just have to fit the basic profile to get in.

I know this was long, but I'm really looking forward to your answer. Thank you for reading and helping me.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Do I really need to take the GMAT again? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 20:32
For the schools you listed, you should be fine with your current score. If you can get Dave Eggers to write your rec letter, then you'll be golden (that is, if the adcom who reads your case happens to be a fan of his work).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Do I really need to take the GMAT again? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 03:39
Thank you so much! Alas, if only Mr. Eggers knew I existed.
Re: Do I really need to take the GMAT again?   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2011, 03:39