Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do i stand a chance?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do i stand a chance? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 16:25
Alex,

I read your background and thought you could help me out. My background is below. I'd appreciate it if you could be very honest as to whether I stand a chance getting into a top ten MBA program. My goal is to get into Goldman Sachs. I know a managing director there, who said he could push my for my internship if I came from a top ten school. Unfortunately, my background is very average compared to some of the other applicants. Please let me know what you think.

Educational background:

Certified Public Accountant - Passed 2010

Masters of Science in Accounting - Roosevelt University - December 2006
(Chicago) - 3.8/4.0 GPA - Graduated with honors

(This is my biggest concern, that I did not go to a reputable school)

Undergrad - Roosevelt University (Chicago)
December 2005
Undergraduate in Business Admininstration with an emphasis in Accounting (3.4/4.0 GPA)

Work Experience:

Big 4 Firm (January 2007-December 2009)
Tax Analyst

January 2010-March 2011
Took time off to start my own cement company in India. Clearly things did not work out - mainly for political reasons.

April 2011- to present
Currently working for a publicly traded company
Senior Tax Accountant

I have a long list of responsiblities at each organization, implementing systems, improving business processes, and mentoring staff - including international experience with teaching staff in India and UK. I have also been invloved with a couple of different countries and working with authorities on transfer pricing issues.
(I just wanted to give you a brief idea of my background without spitting out 15 pages)

As far as volunteer programs - I do volunteer at my local temple to raise money for certain charities (I could improve in this area).

Recommendations: I'm confident I can get rec's from a partner at a Big 4 firm and the CEO of my company.

Reason for MBA: Want to move into finance

Schools Applying To: Ideally any top 10

Do you think I am a qualified applicant for these schools despite my undergrad being from a school that isnt as reputable as most? What do you think of my current work experience?
I've started the Manhattan GMAT on March 10th. I've never opened a GMAT book in my life, but am confident that i can touch 700-710. I also just turned 29.

That's my situation. I would love if you didnt sugar coat any response you might have. (I forgot to add that I'm going to start rosetta stone - mandarin within a couple months)

thanks,
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Do i stand a chance? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 22:37
Focus on the GMAT. Without a strong score, any top b-school will be a long shot.

With a 700+, schools like NYU, Cornell, and Yale will be in range - and these three schools all have a sizeable number of students interested in finance careers (and thus will attract more interest from finance recruiters). And as a backup, you could apply to Georgetown; and then either Columbia or Booth as your one stretch school (or both as stretch schools if you have capacity).

But this all comes down to having a strong GMAT - a 700+, and ideally a 720+. From there, it's a matter of doing the best you can on the written applications and interviews, and hoping that luck is on your side for enough schools you apply to (since it is always a crapshoot for most applicants).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Do i stand a chance? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 06:05
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Focus on the GMAT. Without a strong score, any top b-school will be a long shot.

With a 700+, schools like NYU, Cornell, and Yale will be in range - and these three schools all have a sizeable number of students interested in finance careers (and thus will attract more interest from finance recruiters). And as a backup, you could apply to Georgetown; and then either Columbia or Booth as your one stretch school (or both as stretch schools if you have capacity).

But this all comes down to having a strong GMAT - a 700+, and ideally a 720+. From there, it's a matter of doing the best you can on the written applications and interviews, and hoping that luck is on your side for enough schools you apply to (since it is always a crapshoot for most applicants).

Alex,

I appreciate the quick response. Just out of curiosity what is it that made you pick those schools? Can you tell me what are some major weaknesses in my profile right now that I could work on simulateneously with the GMAT? Thanks in advance
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Do i stand a chance? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 09:18
Those are the schools where the student body is most focused on finance recruiting, and as such where you'll find the most like-minded people (and where more finance employers will focus on in their recruiting).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Do i stand a chance?   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2012, 09:18