Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

do i stand a chance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-30-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 168

CAT Tests
do i stand a chance [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 20:41
Hi Experts

I am an Indian, female, 30, with 8 years work ex at mid-managerial level in garments exports and sourcing, for some great brands like gap/ralph lauren/ debenhams etc. I want to apply for a one-year full-time mba (cannot afford a two-year with my newborn baby). I was hoping for high 600's considering my mock test scores but i ended up scoring a disappointing 600.

now the application deadlines are approaching and i will lose another year if i retake. i had aimed for ISB Hyderabad, Insead, IMD, IE, kellogg, and oxford said- all full time one year MBAs. But with such a low score, i am at a loss what to do! I really cannot waste another year.

I want to know, if i present excellent essays/recommendations, do i still stand a chance in any of the above mentioned schools? Or any other great 1 year full time one program that i missed in the list? my first pref is ISB as its in india and has a daycare for babies.

Many thanks for your inputs.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: do i stand a chance [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 07:35
Expert's post
You should have a decent shot at your target schools with the one year programs. Even though your GMAT will not be above the average, because the one year programs are not required to report stats for ranking purposes, they are a little more flexible on application attributes such as GMAT scores etc. Your experience will be the most important thing. For one year programs, they are looking much more closely at what you have achieved professionally and can bring to the classroom to add to project work or discussions.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Rotman Thread Master
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 2.7
WE: Information Technology (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 33

Re: do i stand a chance [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 08:44
PSMBAPS
You have very good chances because you are a woman, 8 years of unusual work experience and now all depends on your essays and your recommendations. Another thing is that don't rush with your application, getting admitted this year or next year is not as important as getting admitted in your desired school. Put in a lot of effort for your essays and your GMAT score is not that bad. Best of luck.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-30-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 168

CAT Tests
Re: do i stand a chance [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 19:00
Thanks Bryantmichaels and DaDuke for replying and instilling some hope. Since the deadlines for INSEAD and ISB are end Nov, i will start with them. Do you have any insights/ suggestions with respect to their essays and the recommendations.
Also, what could be the ideal way to mention anywhere in one of the essays of my being a mom and managing everything single handedly amidst separation, or should i just not mention anything about it, they might feel i am trying to gain sympathy, which i dont want.
Rotman Thread Master
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 2.7
WE: Information Technology (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 33

Re: do i stand a chance [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 04:50
Sorry don't know anything about those schools and I just started my prepartion and I will be taking GMAT next year and will apply to schools only next year. By now, what I have found is that there is no harm in telling them you are a mother or anything from your background. It depends on how you write your essays that shows what you want to convey. I would recommend that you read a little bit about how to write essays in different forums and through different consultant sites.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: do i stand a chance [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 10:54
Expert's post
Yes you should definitely bring out the fact you are a mom and other things which define who you are as a person, as schools are trying to ascertain fit and personality from applicants. You should call us for a free consultation on 800.925.7737

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews