Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 23:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

do i stand a chance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 01-30-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 156

CAT Tests
do i stand a chance [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 20:43
Hi Experts

I am an Indian, female, 30, with 8 years work ex at mid-managerial level in garments exports and sourcing, for some great brands like gap/ralph lauren/ debenhams etc. I want to apply for a one-year full-time mba (cannot afford a two-year with my newborn baby). I was hoping for high 600's considering my mock test scores but i ended up scoring a disappointing 600.

now the application deadlines are approaching and i will lose another year if i retake. i had aimed for ISB Hyderabad, Insead, IMD, IE, kellogg, and oxford said- all full time one year MBAs. But with such a low score, i am at a loss what to do! I really cannot waste another year.

I want to know, if i present excellent essays/recommendations, do i still stand a chance in any of the above mentioned schools? Or any other great 1 year full time one program that i missed in the list? my first pref is ISB as its in india and has a daycare for babies.

Many thanks for your inputs.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: do i stand a chance [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 16:03
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for your post, and congrats on your newborn. ;)

Sorry to hear you were disappointed in your GMAT score, that is frustrating when you were expecting higher. I'm wondering in terms of re-taking, are you hesitant because of the prep time you would envision doing? Because usually you can take the exam by the date of the admissions deadline and be fine, in case that was still an option (re-taking), and schools take the highest score. For people who had scored a lot better on realistic practice tests, I would generally advise trying again as soon as is possible, because you are likely capable of that higher score and the nerves got the best of you (I've seen this in my experience working with GMAT students as a teacher, tutor, adviser and national program directer over the years, and that's my advice when students do well on practice tests and not so hot on the real thing, to give it one more shot and soon.)

However if that is definitely out of the question, then yes a 600 makes it tough. Nothing is impossible though, and admission is decided holistically based on your entire profile and application and everything about you, and the essays go far in impacting this impression of you and ultimately the decision. I would probably skip IMD as their class size is under 100 and therefore EXTREMELY competitive. Others you could look into include Cambridge, Bocconi, ESADE, AGSM (16 months), Warwick, HEC (16 months). Also for 'value' so to speak and time it takes to pay off investment, you can reference Forbes lists such as: http://www.forbes.com/business-schools/ ... rnational/.

I encourage you to focus on those essays to really emphasize what makes you unique, what brought you to this point, why you need an MBA especially now after so much experience, and what you plan to do with it. Keep us posted on questions and your decisions, and wish you all the best!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php