Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I stand a chance ??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do I stand a chance ?? [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 10:32
I am a 23 yr male from bangalore working in a US based software company for 18 months. as a software engineer. My acads are pretty good including 85% in underGraduate ( computer science).
I want to apply for US Top 10 in Fall 07 but sceptical about the fact that ~3 (by then) yrs expi may not be enough ( especially given that 90% of ppl with expi who apply from India are software engineers).
I dont have anything funky associated with profile, like patents or years of social service or a good business plan ready. Do I stand any chance of getting thru assuming that I will do great in GMAT ( 730+) and I will have a good application kit.
If not, do I stand a chance in US Top 20 or 30. I also want to know how good are these colleges. This is relavant because I will be making a big investment in joining these colleges and a good ROI in critical.
I have on final question. In case I dont get in Fall 07 for reason like less expirience or nothing special in profile, I will be a reapplicant in Fall 08. Will this be hindrant to my application then

-- I dream big, hope it turns out true.

Last edited by dreamBig on 21 Dec 2005, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

more info. [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 13:18
Hi linda,
I was going thru other post and thought I need to give you more info.

1) I have been doing more than development job in company, part of it includes helping them make business decisions by providing industry data.

2) I have been working for a small NGO out here bur feel weird about using that as a boost to my profile.

3) I have started a company with my friends and running it for few months now. ( small Software company ).

4) My short term goal is to earn back the investment and get into a challenging role which gives me a lot of oppurtunity to learn.

5) My long term goal is to use the flourishing Indian market and build solutions sensitive to that market. Current lot of things coming up in India are just a copy of whats done in US.

6) One of the reasons I dont want to do MBA even in India's best B-school is that in 3 yrs ( time at end of MBA), I will be earning nearly double the avg salary in that B school. Other reason being that I want international exposure and strong entrepreneur skills.

I hope this will give you enough insight into my profile. I want to know do I stand a chance for US Top 10. ( remember < 3 yrs experience by then )

Thanks in advance, waiting for reply
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: more info. [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 16:15
Expert's post
dreamBig wrote:
Hi linda,
I was going thru other post and thought I need to give you more info.

1) I have been doing more than development job in company, part of it includes helping them make business decisions by providing industry data.

2) I have been working for a small NGO out here bur feel weird about using that as a boost to my profile.

3) I have started a company with my friends and running it for few months now. ( small Software company ).

4) My short term goal is to earn back the investment and get into a challenging role which gives me a lot of oppurtunity to learn.

5) My long term goal is to use the flourishing Indian market and build solutions sensitive to that market. Current lot of things coming up in India are just a copy of whats done in US.

6) One of the reasons I dont want to do MBA even in India's best B-school is that in 3 yrs ( time at end of MBA), I will be earning nearly double the avg salary in that B school. Other reason being that I want international exposure and strong entrepreneur skills.

I hope this will give you enough insight into my profile. I want to know do I stand a chance for US Top 10. ( remember < 3 yrs experience by then )

Thanks in advance, waiting for reply

thanks for the additional information. It's helpful. With a strong GMAT you are competitive at top 10 schools especially those more open to early career applicants.

Regarding ROI, it depends on the economy when you finish your degree. The economy is expanding how and hiring is up at b-schools. I can't predict what it will be 2 years from now when you will be facing interviewers and recruiters. If I could, I would probably be in a different line of work. :-)

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 20:11
Hi Linda,

Thanks a lot :lol: , Thats a big confidence booster. I am so glad I asked the question.

Quote:
With a strong GMAT you are competitive at top 10 schools especially those more open to early career applicants.
. If you know these universities ( US Top 10-20 + They are open to early applicants ) at the top of your head, can you please list them out. I am new to GMAT and hardly know some 5 university names right now.

Also , based on your answer, can I assume that I am pretty well placed for US Top 20 / US Top 30. I know "Pretty" is subjective, what I want to make sure is that I have better than "outside chances" of making to any of these colleges (US Top 10 / US Top 20 / US Top 30.).

And the old question repeats. If I become a reapplicant in Fall 08, would the Fall 07 application hurt me

--dreamBig, Thanks again for the prev answer
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 15:12
Expert's post
dreamBig wrote:
Hi Linda,

Thanks a lot :lol: , Thats a big confidence booster. I am so glad I asked the question.

Quote:
With a strong GMAT you are competitive at top 10 schools especially those more open to early career applicants.
. If you know these universities ( US Top 10-20 + They are open to early applicants ) at the top of your head, can you please list them out. I am new to GMAT and hardly know some 5 university names right now.

Also , based on your answer, can I assume that I am pretty well placed for US Top 20 / US Top 30. I know "Pretty" is subjective, what I want to make sure is that I have better than "outside chances" of making to any of these colleges (US Top 10 / US Top 20 / US Top 30.).

And the old question repeats. If I become a reapplicant in Fall 08, would the Fall 07 application hurt me

--dreamBig, Thanks again for the prev answer

Here are a few top schools open to early career applicants:

HBS
Stanford,
Wharton,
UCLA,
Columbia.

These are all intensely competitive schools. With a 700+ GMAT and continued professional growth you will be competitive in the top 30 programs.

Reapplicant status doesn't hurt you at any of these schools, with the exception of HBS. Although they deny different standards, I believe they have very high standards for accepting reapplicants.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

placement [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2005, 09:19
Linda,

How are the placements for international students different from that of US students. I have heard some news about some companies not taking international students. What is the ground reality ??.

Also Linda, given my profile, If I ask you to choose between Indian IIMs/ISB and US colleges where I can be really competitive, what would you choose. What I am trying to get is that. say, If my profile is really competitive only in 3rd tier college, then may be I should apply for indian colleges. This depends on which is more beneficiary, both financially and in terms of exposure an career growth.

Thanks
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: placement [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 19:38
Expert's post
dreamBig wrote:
Linda,

How are the placements for international students different from that of US students. I have heard some news about some companies not taking international students. What is the ground reality ??.

Also Linda, given my profile, If I ask you to choose between Indian IIMs/ISB and US colleges where I can be really competitive, what would you choose. What I am trying to get is that. say, If my profile is really competitive only in 3rd tier college, then may be I should apply for indian colleges. This depends on which is more beneficiary, both financially and in terms of exposure an career growth.

Thanks

Again, the market will dictate how placements will differ. If US companies have more than enought qualified US candidates, then they will take the candidates with US green cards to they don't have to deal with and pay with sponsorship and helping an employee get a green card. If the job market is tighter and they cannot find US employees to fill spots they will happily become sponsors and do the paper work.

I am also not familiar enough with Indian schools to compare.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553