Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I stand a chance for my target schools? Thanks a lot

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do I stand a chance for my target schools? Thanks a lot [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 12:04
1) Basic demographic info:
26yrs, Male, French
Been living in the US/UK past 7yrs

2) Educational Background:
Undergrad: Univ. of Sth Carolina BBA, major Finance and International Business... GPA 3.98
Exchnage program 1yr: Barcelona... fluent in spanish
Interned Citigroup, Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley

GMAT 720 (Q48, V41, 4.5)

3) Work experience:
3yrs full time at Morgan Stanley: European Equities Trader. Promoted to associate last summer. Traded 3 sectors, Emerging markets, industrials, telco/media/tech

4) Extracurriculars
Univ stuff: President of Investment for Carolina finance club. Event director for foreign student association.
Since working: Fund raiser for an organization. Planning a mission for one laptop per child but still "work in progress"

5) Short/Long term goals: Change field for a more entrepreneurial career focused on new energies... lithium.

6) Schools:
1. HBS
2. Stanford
3. Wharton
4. Columbia
5. MIT
6. Kellogg
7. Chicago
8. Berkeley
9. Stern
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Do I stand a chance for my target schools? Thanks a lot [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 19:03
You have a great background that could get you into any top b-school. The thing that will make the difference will be whether you can tell a strong diversity 'story'. Simply being French will not make the difference, especially since you have spent your career in the U.S. There are lots of bankers applying, so you will need to explain the experiences and contributions you can bring to the school that are so different from those other bankers.

Since your background could get into any school, they will all be wary of giving you the admit because they want higher acceptance rates. So you will need to spend extra time on explaining 'why *this* b-school'. Right now I'm sure they all seem about the same to you (and they are extremely similar), so you need to do a bunch of research by talking to students to identify what the differences are and which differences are important to you (and why).

I'll send you a PM with another question.

B-School Nerd

Re: Do I stand a chance for my target schools? Thanks a lot   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2010, 19:03