Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 18:37
Hello everyone,

Greetings!

With a 680 Gmat Score, will i get any admission in the top-20 schools? As i have exhuasted my gmat attempts, i couldn't improve more than this.

My profile is Indian, IT - 5 yrs by Fall 2009, Female - 28, Btech-IT from non-IIT, non-REC university (4.0 GPA) - University Gold Medal, MS in Computer Science from ULL, Few extra curricular activites.

I was dreaming about top-5 schools, but now i realized that it might not be practical with this score. I am not sure if a 4th attempt in gmat is good either. I have applied to ISB last year and got rejected with a 680 score.

Can any one please comment on female chances for getting into top-20 schools with above kind of profile? After looking at the 2008 No Admits thread with people of 770 scores i am stumped and now i feel 680 is not even worth of appying. Is it worth spending time and cost for the applications with this kind of score?

Thanks
sv
    Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
    SVP
    SVP
    Schools: Hard Knocks
    Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
    Re: Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 12:42
    Don't forget that the GMAT is only a part of the entire application. 680 is a good score. Think of the GMAT score as the cover of the book. The way I see it is that adcoms look to see your cover (GMAT score) and then read the inside (the rest of your application such as essays, resume, gpa, etc). They may view the other parts of your application first, but the point is, I don't believe a 680 is a score that will cause the adcoms to throw away your application and give you no consideration.

SV6 wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Greetings!

With a 680 Gmat Score, will i get any admission in the top-20 schools? As i have exhuasted my gmat attempts, i couldn't improve more than this.

My profile is Indian, IT - 5 yrs by Fall 2009, Female - 28, Btech-IT from non-IIT, non-REC university (4.0 GPA) - University Gold Medal, MS in Computer Science from ULL, Few extra curricular activites.

I was dreaming about top-5 schools, but now i realized that it might not be practical with this score. I am not sure if a 4th attempt in gmat is good either. I have applied to ISB last year and got rejected with a 680 score.

Can any one please comment on female chances for getting into top-20 schools with above kind of profile? After looking at the 2008 No Admits thread with people of 770 scores i am stumped and now i feel 680 is not even worth of appying. Is it worth spending time and cost for the applications with this kind of score?

Thanks
    sv

------------------------------------
      J Allen Morris
      **I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
      Manager

Re: Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 19:06
      Thanks for your reply jallenmorris.
      Intern
      Intern
      Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 07:02
      I totally agree jallenmorris. You can definitely get accepted to a top-20 with a 680...I know I did. Reading GMATClub and the BW forums can be a bit intimidating, because it seems like everyone has a 700+ score. My recommendation is to not worry too much and just focus on researching schools and crafting great applications.

Another bit of advice, you need to figure out how to differentiate yourself from your peers (Indians from an IT background). Figure out what makes yourself unique, and play it up a bit in your essays and interviews. Another part of this is considering schools that can round out your profile. For example, my background is in non-profit work. One of the reasons I applied to CMU because it is a quant heavy school. This will allow me to become a more well-rounded person, develop skills I do not currently possess, and demonstrate to employers that I can handle quantitative work. As such, you may want to consider some schools that are known more for their general management or soft skills.
      Manager
      Manager

Re: Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 21:11
      Thanks jbguy.

In fact i am considering the Tepper as one of my reachable schools. I am currently in the process of selecting schools and see whether i fit into the school or not.

Thanks for your suggestions
      SV6
      Manager
      Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 20:17
      3 attempts? Wow. that definitely shows tenacity
      Manager
      Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
      Re: Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 18:07
      Took that stupid test 3 times and ended up with a 690 (close enough to 680). In at Stern so it can be done.
      Intern
      Intern
      Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 03:47
      Hi Folks,
      This is my first post.My profile is as follows:

Graduation Stream: Engineering(Computer Science)
      Grdauation GPA :3.4
      GMAT Score : 740 (Q49,V45)
      TOEFL Score :Yet to take
      Work Exp :3 Years now 4 Years by 2009 fall.
      Industry : Techincal Consultant in ERP space.Working with one of the world's Biggest
      Software conglomerates.
      Foreign work stint: None

Significant
      Acheivements : Took up the role of technical lead in a Japanese Implementation project barely one year into the job and completed successfully.Got the top performer award for that project. Got an ovation award given to a handful every year in my second year in service for my overall work and leadership.

Extra Curriculars :
      Lots in College: Athletics Team Captain for 2 years.Part of the college relay team, which set the zonal university record which still stands(for 4 years). Office Bearer with the rank of Lance Corporal in National Cadet Corp(Army Division meant for students) for 3 years.Attended Army attachment camp for 4 weeks in college.Was the secretary of the college literary club.Was a part of the Alumni Module of the college internal ERP rollout, which got the best PCQuest : Best IT Implementation oF The Year 2007.

Very few post College: Active member of the Toast Masters club chapter of my workplace for the past 1 year.(TM is a US HQed club focusing on communication, public speaking and leadership skills). One of the Founder and key member of Old Students Association of Chinmaya Trust.(Chinmaya is the name of my school).Managed to raise nearly 2000 plus dollars in just two years of existence just from alumni(The school is just 10 years old).The trust is meant to award top performers in school and also to provide for need based scholarships for deserving students of the school.Avid cycling enthusiast.Have been Cycling 20 Kms total everyday round trip to office for the past 3 years.Have gone on numerous cycling expeditions too.(I am not sure if the cycling bit should be projected to schools)

Reasons for doing MBA: Mainly working on the Technical Scheme of things, with just a little visibility towards the actual business side.Want to move to a position where I would be working on the business side of an organization.Want to have formal knowledge about the core dimensions of businesses before I move on to a career change.(This might not be the one I post in the essays..;-) )

Colleges Targeted:

Dream: HBS
      TUCK

Reach: Columbia
      Stern
      Cornell

Safe : UW(Micheal G Foster )

Would I stand a chance in any of these??

Any other inputs about anything is more than welcome :)
      Re: Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools?   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2008, 03:47