Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I stand out at all? Profile evaluation needed.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Do I stand out at all? Profile evaluation needed. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 21:26
Hi there,

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out by taking a look at the information below. This sounds a tad crazy and definitely over-ambitious but I believe that I will only be applying to Harvard Business School and no others. Why? I feel that my current experience is enough for me to succeed in life but that if I'm going to take the time off to better myself professionally, why not go big or go home?

I am almost certain I am not your typical HBS accepted applicant but I have this feeling that I may just stand out from others. With that being said, here is my profile. I would love to hear thoughts and overall feedback.

Work experience: Started working for myself at 19 years old as an online marketing consultant while studying as a sophomore in college. I grew this effort into a full time at-home new media marketing business I now run managing a few employees while also servicing multiple companies including Fortune 500 brands. I currently manage an online community which I've helped grow from 500 people to 80,000 people (in just one year) from all over the world for quite possibly the biggest global name in consumer electronics (I serve as the sole Community Manager for this brand).

Education: Graduated with a BS in Communications from St. John's University - 3.2 GPA (One class I bombed one semester due to a variety of reasons). I otherwise would have graduated with Honors at least. I know that my undergraduate GPA is not one of my stronger points nor is the mark that made it dip quite substantially. However the last 2 years of my undergraduate, I averaged a 3.75 GPA.

Extracurriculars: Before graduating college in 2007, I raised over $8,000 for a volunteer trip by approaching businesses, individuals, publications and holding a charity event. With the money raised, I volunteered in Ghana Africa for a month while structuring the first summer camp ever for the children of an underprivileged remote village. I have also held a few other leaderships positions in college and with other smaller efforts before then.

Additionally, there is one item I could choose to include or omit from the application but that I think is vital in understanding the type person I am. I happen to be a single mother on top of all of my endeavors. I am an atypical one of course and defy the stigma usually associated with one. However since that takes up most of my time, the extracurriculars are naturally kept to a minimum lately. I would only want to state this fact to show my determination and ability to succeed as opposed to use it to evoke any other thoughts. Do you think that is worth mentioning on an application?

GMAT/GRE:
Here is my biggest concern: I am not a huge math person. The class that really messed with my GPA was a math course with a very difficult (personality-wise) professor. With that being said, I'm terrified of the type of math that is existent on the GMAT's. I am great with writing/verbal skills but math is simply not my strong point. It seems the GRE suits my testing style a bit more and I see that HBS accepts it now. Question is, how many people do they truly accept that submit GRE scores as opposed to GMAT? I did hear that oddly enough, HBS is a bit less quantitative than most business schools and that they focus a lot more on managerial talent and so forth. Is this true?

Recommendations: I am very fortunate to have worked with and made connections with top-tier professionals from Fortune 500 corporations who I am sure would provide great recommendations.

Also if I was invited to interview, I'm extremely confident in my interviewing skills as I tend to obtain about 95% positions/opportunities after any interview opportunity. I am also a great essay writer and have no doubt that my essays would be compelling enough to grab their interest.

I would appreciate any honest opinion.

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do I stand out at all? Profile evaluation needed. [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 17:51
Expert's post
First of all, you need to provide Harvard, which is more strategic in its approach, some evidence you handle the math in business school. You can do so via grades or you can do so via the GMAT. you can also do so via your work, but I don't think your requires the kinds of advanced math necessary to impress them. If you have low quant grades on your transcript, you probably would need a strong quant score on the GMAT or GRE. You may also be interested in "GMAT or GRE: Which is Best for You?"

I probably would recommend that you mention you are a single mother because it would give context to your impressive achievements.

My recommendation is that you apply R1 of next year and use the next several months to beef up your math skills and take the GMAT/GRE.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Do I stand out at all? Profile evaluation needed. [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 10:58
Great info. Thank you very much! Will take a look at the link provided.

Thanks again :)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do I stand out at all? Profile evaluation needed. [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 16:56
Expert's post
KateDee wrote:
Great info. Thank you very much! Will take a look at the link provided.

Thanks again :)

You're most welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog