Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 23:54
Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA with community college courses when considering applicants. I'm thinking about USC, UCI, CSU Fullerton, U of SD, and maybe the out of state schools like UT and UNC

My Undergrad GPA at UCLA was a 2.7 in neuroscience, graduated in 2012. Since then I've taken ~30 units of accounting at a community college program that offers Intermediate/advanced/governmental/audit/tax, my GPA there is 4.0, therefore my accounting gpa is a 4.0

The combination of my entire GPA at community college and undergraduate is a 2.95, not much higher but it helps.

hoping to pass 2 cpa exams before i apply this november

Am i boned b/c of UG gpa.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 23:54
Also where are the 2013 applicants official thread. lol
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 11:32
For USC, you might probably have to attend the summer intensive course even though you already took those accounting courses. To be eligible for Fall, you need to take various upper division accounting courses and USC do not recommend taking those at CC**. You probably should have done it at UCLA extension, but it is a little bit to late now. Either way, do great on GMAT (700+) for a chance. The reason is because, USC has about 20% international students and those students have high GPAs and GMAT and they are required to do summer intensive. So, you will be competing against these applicants for the very limited summer intensive program. At this point, I recommend you trying to get a high GMAT and a killer essay. Also, definitely do the optional essay and sell them on why you will be able to succeed in a graduate program, despite having low undergraduate GPA. Definitely shoot the faculty an email and explain to them your situation regarding your CC courses. I emailed them throughout the whole application process and stating my concerns and they were very nice in responding to my inquiries.

UCI MPAc is definitely SIGNIFICANTLY easier to get in. I know people that got in with GMAT in the 400s. USC and UCI WILL have the same applicant pool, so people that got into USC will most likely choose USC over UCI, so UCI's GMAT will be not be as high as USC's. In any case, you should be able to have UCI as a back up easily. Get in touch with Burt.

In regards to other schools (UT and UNC), I would say they look for similar qualities as what USC looks for. Definitely apply and see your options. If you want to work in California, USC is the way to go. Mind you, all the Big 4 posts job listing for other cities too for USC (NY, Chicago, etc.), so USC MAcc definitely sends its students to places other than LA/San Francisco.

**"We do not recommend community college or online program accounting courses as fulfillment of our upper-division prerequisites. These must be taken at an accredited 4-year college or university, or a university extension program in a live classroom setting." (from USC MACC)
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 01:54
Yes i just emailed them and got some really helpful responses.

I think they said they would tell me if I needed to enroll into the summer program. However it wouldn't really make sense for me because i've already passed FAR, and FAR is the accounting sections that are covered over the summer.

I will shoot for a 700+GMAT.

UCI's average GMAT is around a 608 after talking to an adcom at one of their info sessions. However I think they are lying lol, i think its around a 580 based on the responses i got from people currently in the program.

Do they average my Undergrad and Community college gpa or am i totally screwed in that regard. my gpa if you take the aggregate of everything is an acceptable 3.0, but without it, i'm left with a 2.7 UG.
Intern
Intern

Re: Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 17:52
The adcom will probably say the same thing. You cannot do anything else about your undergrad GPA, right now you can just make your GMAT and essay strong. The good thing about that is you can explain your GPA and explain why you will be able to succeed in the MAcc program. Explaining the fact that you passed FAR will definitely help out in terms of demonstrating your potential to succeed at USC. USC's MAcc is an amazing program, especially if you're planning to work in SoCal. You're starting with a recruiter breakfast right in the first week and the week after you will have socials with literally every single firms. This is MAcc/MBT exclusive, so you will not have the Accounting undergrads mingling with you, just the MAcc and the MBT people. A few weeks after, you will start pre-interview dinner, OCI, and in-house interviews. You would, then, be extended an offer in early November and you will have to make a decision within that month.

Given all these details, you want to see that you can multitask and do it well. The first two months are brutal because you will be juggling between full time recruiting and full time studying. Right now, the only advice I can give you is just focus on GMAT and think about what you want out of the program. Even if you don't get 700+, there is no need to stress, though it is preferred. With strong essay and GMAT in the 650, I'm sure you'll stand a fair chance. They want a well-rounded person and your low GPA in a hard major is very understandable and they would not hold it against you.

Apply to everywhere. During the interview, they will ask what other schools you have received offers from and they will most likely give you scholarships if you tell them you have been accepted to other programs from the same tier (UT, UNC, etc.).

If you are able to get in, USC's program is the perfect fit for you. Recruiting starts early and you wouldn't even have your graduate grades, so you will be using that 2.7(2.95) on your transcript. The good news is, the firms don't really care much that the GPA is low as long as you have story and other qualities. That being said, get started early on your application because time flies and also get in touch with your recommenders ASAP.

TL;DR: Don't worry and focus on other things
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 03:13
<3 you steve

thanks for the words of encouragement!

if i get the interview and they ask me those questions (what other programs have you applied to, have you gotten in), can't i just lie? would they be able to find out?
Intern
Intern

Re: Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 23:45
You should never lie on something as drastic as an admission. You never know what connections these people have or the network that they are in, so better be safe than sorry. I believe USC has already started interviewing, so definitely get things started and try to submit it by the end of the year. The earlier, the better chance because more spots are open. The statistics for c/o 2014 are out, so you can check that out if you want to get a general idea, but remember that even if you don't meet a certain aspect of the average, that doesn't mean you're automatically not considered. The adcom looks for someone well rounded and someone that they can proudly present in front of the professionals. The firms in the area has great connections with the program director, they have been working together on the placement for 10+ years. Get started on both UCI and USC application now because at this point, there should be a fairly fast turnover rate, especially for UCI.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 13:09
What, are you sure they're interviewing already? When i called them two weeks ago they said their application hasn't even opened up yet. They said it would open in late september/october, is it open already? I'll double check tonight!.

Im trying to retake the gmat before i send in my application again, i should have it sent by October 20th, sometime around there, i hope that's early enough.

And yea, i was never going to lie of course! I think what i meant was...what if you intend to apply but haven't applied yet, do you still list it? There are three east coast schools that I will apply to in January,but I apply to USC in October
Re: Do MAcc schools look at undergraduate gpa or overall GPA wit   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2013, 13:09