Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant?? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 06:12
Hi all,

I am intersted in the Business/Finance online certificate program from Tualne University. Can this certificate, to some degree, make up for an academic blemish?

What suggestions (other than a high GMAT score, long work exp and a good interview) are there for an MBA applicant with a low undergraduate GPA.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant?? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 12:44
Do a google search for "low GPA MBA". There are a ton of people out there who have over come a low GPA.

I can't remember the website right now, but there was one blog with a collection of stories. People with 2.5-2.8 getting into places like Wharton and the like.

It seems the best way to overcome a low GPA is build an alternative transcript. Take 2-4 courses in subjects like accounting, statistics, calculus (whatever you might not have experience with or have a low grade in). Get a 3.8+ GPA in those courses and you should be good!

Good luck!

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant?? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 12:49
ambattul wrote:
Hi all,

I am intersted in the Business/Finance online certificate program from Tualne University. Can this certificate, to some degree, make up for an academic blemish?

What suggestions (other than a high GMAT score, long work exp and a good interview) are there for an MBA applicant with a low undergraduate GPA.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you, yeah basicly taking classes is what everyone has told me. You don't neccesarily have to do a certificate program, just take some classes and do really well one them. But also strengthen your application other ways, promotions and EC. There has been success of people getting in, I'll tell you what happens with me when I get my results. But it's not an easy road. Just got to keep your sights!

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant?? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 13:52
Here is that low-GPA story collection I mentioned above:

Link

The stories are quite impressive!

RF

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant?? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 21:46
I think a low undergrad GPA is much easier to make up for than a low GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant?? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 03:33
Meowzilla wrote:
I think a low undergrad GPA is much easier to make up for than a low GMAT score.

Well at least you can just retake the GMAT if you don't like your score. With a low GPA, you'll have to live with it. It prob also depends on the school you're applying to. Some really want a high GMAT, others more look at your GPA.

I'd also recommend taking some courses at your local university (e.g. Statistics, Financa, Econ, etc.). Definitely take some quant courses. As to online degrees, when I just hear the word "online degree" I somehow think of some sketchy certificate you just buy from the internet. Maybe if it's from a reputable university it's another thing.

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Intern
Intern

Re: Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant?? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 07:13
tmino wrote:
Meowzilla wrote:

Well at least you can just retake the GMAT if you don't like your score. With a low GPA, you'll have to live with it. It prob also depends on the school you're applying to. Some really want a high GMAT, others more look at your GPA.

I'd also recommend taking some courses at your local university (e.g. Statistics, Financa, Econ, etc.). Definitely take some quant courses. As to online degrees, when I just hear the word "online degree" I somehow think of some sketchy certificate you just buy from the internet. Maybe if it's from a reputable university it's another thing.

yeah i thought the samething when i first heard about online certificate programs. since tulane and villanova are schools with good reputation i figuired it would require more effort than compared to other unknown schools.
Intern
Intern

Re: Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant?? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 07:15
refurb wrote:
Here is that low-GPA story collection I mentioned above:

Link

The stories are quite impressive!

RF

thanks!!!!!
Re: Do online certificate prgms. add value to an MBA applicant??   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2008, 07:15