Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do Rankings Matter for MS in Accounting programs?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do Rankings Matter for MS in Accounting programs? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 16:56
Hi All,

I previously posted this question with no responses and now I know why.... I posted it to the wrong forum :-) So hoping get some advice from this forum.

I plan to do MAcc from University of Denver- Daniels School of Business.
How far do rankings matter in MS Accounting programs?
My undegrad GPA is 3.84 in Engineering. I am taking accounting pre-reqs at community college and so far 4.0 GPA in all of them. So I know I will make the best out of this program unless of course the rankings kill my dream to work for the BIG4.

Thanks, Eva.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do Rankings Matter for MS in Accounting programs? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 11:16
Expert's post
I am glad you asked this question. because accounting, like law or medicine, requires regulated certification and licensing, it does not carry quite the same onus on the recruiters that the b-schools do. having said that, if you are shooting for the big 4, you'd better do some informational interviews with these firms to get their opinion on the schools they like to see graduates coming from or where they might prefer to recruit. You have the unique opportunity here to essentially reverse engineer your career. Knowing where you want to end up, work backwards to where you are now and see if you can choose the ideal path. You may be surprised at the willingness you will encounter from these firms when you approach them as a pending graduate student.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Do Rankings Matter for MS in Accounting programs? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 02:35
I'm actually about to graduate with my BS in accounting from DU. I'm going elsewhere for my MAcc, but it's not in any way due to the school's academic reputation. In fact, I have already secured an offer from a Big 4 firm for when I finish my grad degree.

Regionally, DU has a great reputation, and the recruiters favor it over other programs (The only exception being BYU, which the Denver firms also recruit out of). I know of classmates who secured full-time offers with Big 4 firms in big cities as well, such as NY, LA and Houston. If what you want to do is Big 4/Public Accounting, DU will get your foot in the door.
Re: Do Rankings Matter for MS in Accounting programs?   [#permalink] 10 May 2011, 02:35