Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do recruiters ask for your salary?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Do recruiters ask for your salary? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 22:02
I'm about to get a performane review at work and last year they said that I could get a raise at work if I stayed for 1 year. That was last year and I know I will be leaving for school this year. I wasn't going to push the issue, but I wonder....

Is this a common question in the interview or during negotiations?

My other thought is that the MBA will push me up to that pay level anyway, so previous salary doesn't matter (assuming someone has at least 2 years of relevant experience)
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do recruiters ask for your salary? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 08:39
Why not get more now if you deserve it?
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do recruiters ask for your salary? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 08:59
I was planning on vamoosing out of here right after my review. I wouldn't have mentioned the raise, so it really wouldn't be bad form to leave if they gave me that raise.

But if I pushed for a raise, then I wouldn't want to leave in such a hurry. I don't burn bridges, so I would stay 'till mid summer and give plenty of notice.

But if my pre MBA salary doesn't hold much weight, then I won't push for a raise and if it comes then great... wouldn't matter.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do recruiters ask for your salary? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 13:42
I guess depending on where you work, the raise should be independent of when your departure date is. For me, we are in our review process and I'll know about my raise in March. Everyone knows I'm leaving, but it is still fair to appraise me on my past work, not my future intentions. Hell, they're still giving me new responsibilities and I'm hiring a second direct report and possibly a third. But I plan on staying until May/June.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do recruiters ask for your salary? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 13:48
I dont think salaries matter much if you are changing careers. However, if you work in banking or consulting and are returning to those then it may be a factor. I know a person who went to school, leaving a job as a VP at a bulge bracket bank. I am sure his former position and salary will play a roll in what he gets post grad. He sure isnt going to be an associate making 100K.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Do recruiters ask for your salary?   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2008, 13:48