Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 08:53
I took the GMAT for a second time yesterday and did noticeably worse than my original test, which was taken about 3 years ago. I know schools say that they look at your highest score, but since the score report will show both tests, I'm worried that the admissions committees will see the decline and that it will raise a red flag. My friends tell me I shouldn't worry about it since my first score is respectable, but I'm kind of freaking out about it.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2218

Kudos [?]: 8156 [0], given: 3640

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 09:06
Expert's post
You should not worry :)

The way AdComs see the score, is you put it on your application and then an administrative assistant goes through the applications and score reports and matches them to validate that the self-reported score matches your official gmat score. If she saw you had a 600 3 years ago and got 400 a few days ago, she may feel bad for the $250 but I doubt she'll be running down the hall to tell everyone about it :)

So, don't worry, focus on your apps, your 3-year old score is safe!
(now if it was 4.5 year old score, then it may be a concern but not 3-year old)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 09:09
Dude,
10 points is not a big deal, I understand that you may freak out about a lower score but a 700 and 690? 3years later? Nothing to worry about.
No get to work on those essays! they count too.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 09:56
jordanhendrix wrote:
Dude,
10 points is not a big deal, I understand that you may freak out about a lower score but a 700 and 690? 3years later? Nothing to worry about.

It's not the overall score but the percentile drop in the math section. On my first test, i got 77% quant, and i retook it to break 80%, which is the guideline recommended by wharton and the other top schools i'm applying to. i have no idea how this happened, but my quant dropped to 68%, which is rather embarrassing.
Current Student

Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 10:02
Arbitrageur wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:
Dude,

It's not the overall score but the percentile drop in the math section. On my first test, i got 77% quant, and i retook it to break 80%, which is the guideline recommended by wharton and the other top schools i'm applying to. i have no idea how this happened, but my quant dropped to 68%, which is rather embarrassing.

I understand, but like we said before, schools aren't even going to see it.
No worries :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 10:18
jordanhendrix wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:
Dude,

I understand, but like we said before, schools aren't even going to see it.
No worries :)

The score got reported to the schools, so yes, they will see it.
Current Student

Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 10:23
^^^ let me rephrase that, the adcoms mostly likely will not see it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 10:42
jordanhendrix wrote:
^^^ let me rephrase that, the adcoms mostly likely will not see it

I thought adcoms see all your scores? And it got reported to the schools, so i assumed that means the adcoms will see it. I'm not an expert on this, so I could be wrong.
Current Student

Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 13:11
Read what BB wrote in his post above......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 13:18
jordanhendrix wrote:
Read what BB wrote in his post above......

So the score report that the schools receive will have both my scores, and not just the most recent one? That means I do not have to resend a score report through MBA.com if I choose to report just my highest one?
Re: Do schools place more emphasis on recent GMAT score?   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2010, 13:18