Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do Tier-2 European MBAs really offer what they promise?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Do Tier-2 European MBAs really offer what they promise? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 01:02
I am an MBA aspirant and i have recently got through a top MBA program in Europe with a good scholarship. I want to share my experience & answer questions of other aspirants regarding the B-School selection process. Please contact me on this forum if you have questions?

My advice & findings, from the extensive research i did to select my B-school and accept an offer from them, are as follows.

# Top B-Schools like Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Kellogs, IMD, INSEAD, IE etc have one thing in common. They are excellent, they have excellent resources and offer wonderful opportunities towards a successful post MBA career.

# Tier 1 regional b-schools like RSM, Manchester, Cranfield, Boconni, HEC, MBS, AGSM, Ceibs, HKUST, NUS, Nanyang, Said, Judge, Imperial etc have tremendous regional reputation and resources to help MBA students explore progressive post MBA opportunities.

# It is the Tier-2 schools, which claim to be amongst the top 100 in the world but most lack the resources & conviction to help MBA students pursue careers of their choice. B-School career services have to be strong and resourceful to help MBA students, specially international students, to pursue international careers but unfortunately most Tier-2 schools, despite having an excellent MBA curriculum and brilliant students, fail to help them find the right jobs.

Last edited by mbagraduate11 on 02 Mar 2014, 23:05, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Do Tier-2 European MBAs really offer what they promise? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 02:12
hi !

Nice post and good questions.

Before I begin let me just say that in Europe (this is of course what I have learned from my own interactions from people at Deutche Bank, P&G and Bain) the Elites are Insead, LBS, HEC Paris, IMD and then the rest. Spain has IESE and IE but given the current crisis in Spain I would prefer the others (although they have strong reputations they are not as strong as the others). Not wanting to blow my horn (since I will be attending) HEC Paris is an extremely strong school in Europe. Someone at Bain compared it to the Wharton of Europe. Its US reputation however is not as strong. But in Europe its king and in Asia its extremely strong due to French companies (LVMH, Hermes, BNP etc which all prefer HEC to any other school..its the no.1 business school in Europe for the past 6 FT rankings so it counts for something)

And to move to a more direct reply...My pespeptionis that you can get a good job anywhere with a fairly good MBA. There are people who work at BNP or JP Morgan who aren't from Harvard and Insead. You have to put in the effort, you have to a strong candidate in your own merit and search for jobs. I have rarely heard people praising their acreer services departments whether they are from Berkley, HEC, Oxford. Some MBA like Tuck, IMD, Insead (of course the big 3 in the US) are excellent. But even there I think its up to you. Even with a Harvard MBA you wont find a job unless you look for one.

With the French MBA's you listed I have no knowledge of their career services but I believe in French speaking countries and with French companies you should have no problem getting a job. The French love the French schools. (as does the US love US schools). If you want a career in the UK I would recommend Cranfield that has a strong academic program (no exchanges sorry but its only 1 year), low cost and good employment stats. In 2011 after speaking with graduates from Said they said they were having trouble finding a job in London (of course the current crisis dosent help). So a good job is hard to find anywhere from any MBA (Said is of course an elite school for the UK).

On a final note, I believe the quality of education from any of these will be top notch. All these MBA's will provide you will the academic knowledge you need. After that, I would focus on what "experiences" they can provide..such as projects in Africa, exchange opportunities, dual degrees etc. In todays world I believe experience in Africa is what will set you apart (everyone has been to Asia, Europe and the US...but not Africa...yet). Ross for example has a great MAP program. That's what I would focus on when choosing an MBA program.
Intern
Intern

Re: Do Tier-2 European MBAs really offer what they promise? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 00:40
Dear jc456,

I totally agree with your thoughts but i feel there are schools which take responsibility to facilitate their student's job search and this is the only thing that is expected from a (so called) top B school and this is one thing that sets it apart from other schools. You are right that an MBA graduate has to find a job on his own but the school's Career services play a very important part in exposing the candidate to the right opportunities & the right environment. Schools like Emlyon & Essec may offer an MBA as good as the MBA at Hec (though i have my own reservations about this) but the support services provided by Hec are way better. This is the reason most international students find great jobs all over Asia & Europe after an MBA from Hec but equally qualified graduates from Emlyon & Essec struggle to find right MBA level job opportunities.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Do Tier-2 European MBAs really offer what they promise? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 07:01
dear mbagraduate11,

indeed this may be the case.. i am going to hec in september so i cannot fully comment on what you said but definetaly you may be right that the career services should sort of guide you correctly through the process.

A note: of course i agree with you that Essec or any other mba from france (apart from insead) with provide a less stellar quality of education compared to HEC. However, I cannot believe that there is a huge diference in simple academics when looking at insead, hec or esec, oxford, lancaster etc etc.. differences of course exist as you stated but purely from a textbook perspective these differences should be (hopefully) limited
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Do Tier-2 European MBAs really offer what they promise? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 21:43
IE, IESE and CEIBS do not belong with HSW, London and Insead. If you think so, you will surely be disappointed.
Intern
Intern

Re: Do Tier-2 European MBAs really offer what they promise? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 11:48
You are right Harvard, LBS & Insead are in a league of their own and definitely way better than IE, IESE and CEIBS.
Re: Do Tier-2 European MBAs really offer what they promise?   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2012, 11:48