Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 08:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

DO you Lie on Application or not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

DO you Lie on Application or not [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 13:32
I can't have a hole for a year after I graduated college from age 22-23 in 2006. I played poker in Vegas for a year, made a lot of money. What should me do?
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 17:05
ME should tell the truth and pitch it in a positive way. Playing poker demonstrate attributes like: Risk taking abilities, etc. So ME should try to use the experience in a positive way.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 17:38
sm176811 wrote:
ME should tell the truth and pitch it in a positive way. Playing poker demonstrate attributes like: Risk taking abilities, etc. So ME should try to use the experience in a positive way.

My momma think I maybe shouldn't because it has a negative stigma. However, I can't just have a whole in my jobs for a year or say I worked at Mcdonalds.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 19:49
i'd tell them the truth
also tell them you want to become a trader, perfect fit :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DO you Lie on Application or not [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 19:56
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
I can't have a hole for a year after I graduated college from age 22-23 in 2006. I played poker in Vegas for a year, made a lot of money. What should me do?

If you're actually thinking of lying about this in your application then you're a bit of a dim bulb, in my opinion. Schools are verifying backgrounds these days.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

Re: DO you Lie on Application or not [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 20:27
pbodine wrote:
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:

If you're actually thinking of lying about this in your application then you're a bit of a dim bulb, in my opinion. Schools are verifying backgrounds these days.

never said lying. The choice was having a hole in my application for a year or putting this
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DO you Lie on Application or not [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 21:19
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
pbodine wrote:
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:

never said lying. The choice was having a hole in my application for a year or putting this

Just talk abt the hole and explain it in the optional essay and then create a list of learnings from the experience. See Paul's Book on Essays about Optional Essays.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 23:01
Why wouldn't you include it? It's impressive if anything :) Gets across that you're an impulsive risk-taker, which I would consider to be a great attribute of a true entrepreneur :)

I have 'car demolisher' on mine; I took apart cars at a junkyard for a summer. Right above Morgan Stanley :D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 12:17
Buddy of mine worked as a repo man for a year after college. Talk about some awesome essay fodder.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 13:47
dukes wrote:
Buddy of mine worked as a repo man for a year after college. Talk about some awesome essay fodder.

I just don't want to get the automatic Ding because of the negative thoughts of living in Vegas for a year. I tried to Act and played poker to make a living, and that could have a negative stigma. I can't say I just traveled the world for a year
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 15:36
Be careful. Is this the case? Schools will let you in. Then, after you install some payment, they let you GO. Or they can fire you everytime if they discover it. Remember that you cannot choose another school at this time because all deposit deadlines pass. More important, all admits have to sign "Honor System" and it will stay with you all the rest of your life (or at least two years in a school). Can you study well if you're worried about what if they discover it. Be honest.

IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
dukes wrote:

I just don't want to get the automatic Ding because of the negative thoughts of living in Vegas for a year. I tried to Act and played poker to make a living, and that could have a negative stigma. I can't say I just traveled the world for a year
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 10:39
GMATcram wrote:
Be careful. Is this the case? Schools will let you in. Then, after you install some payment, they let you GO. Or they can fire you everytime if they discover it. Remember that you cannot choose another school at this time because all deposit deadlines pass. More important, all admits have to sign "Honor System" and it will stay with you all the rest of your life (or at least two years in a school). Can you study well if you're worried about what if they discover it. Be honest.

IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
dukes wrote:

I think our poker-playing poster has been given all the advice he needs about whether and how to address the poker issue. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 10:39
GMATcram wrote:

IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
dukes wrote:

I think our poker-playing poster has been given all the advice he needs about whether and how to address the poker issue. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Paul Bodine /