Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do you think B school is for me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do you think B school is for me? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 12:22
Hey all, ive worked for 5 years as a staff supervisor, then promoted to business manager/administrator at a very successful (but small) law firm. Since taking on more respon. with business and financial management and planning, I have really found a niche. However, I am concerned about wanting to move up, or even into other business mgt positions (non profits, for example). Does it sound like I would benefit from an MBA? I would go part time, have a 3.6 GPA from a small, elite liberal arts college, and 6 years of progressive work experience (half of which has been management).

Im in the first phases of figuring this out, but it seems like an MBA would benefit me in the long run (to not get stuck, etc.)

Intern
Intern

Re: Do you think B school is for me? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 13:10
any and all opinions highly appreciated!
Current Student
Schools: Texas '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Do you think B school is for me? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 15:21
First; a lot of part time programs don’t have much by way of career services, so if you’re planning on going that route, be prepared to do some of your own leg work. If you get into a good pt program you may have some classmates you can network with after all most of them will have jobs and you can pick their brains about other industries of interest. Second; there are not a lot of MBA’s out there. I’ve worked for two midsized companies (1000-1500 employees) and no one that I’ve spoken with has an MBA (I work closely with directors, vp’s and above). So is it necessary? The short answer is no. That being said I believe getting an MBA can and will help fast track your career.
Intern
Intern

Re: Do you think B school is for me? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 15:30
im basically feeling stuck, both compensation and mobility-wise. im stuck in san francisco (worse places), so would be looking to go locally. I think berk may be out of my reach, but then again i havent cracked a gmat book yet.

i basically want to find a way to become a more effective and established manager for a small business or non profit. ?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [2] , given: 22

Re: Do you think B school is for me? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
Funny, I just quit the exact same job to pursue my MBA, and also have a similar gpa from tiny, elite liberal arts school. I decided on the MBA for similar reasons - I was pretty stuck and I wanted to open doors in both my immediate future and beyond.

IMO, no, an MBA is not necessary. Another gmatclubber I met once joked something like "MBAs are for people who screwed up somewhere along the line." While I don't think that's necessarily true, it obviously stuck with me. Being a manager or a businessperson or a consultant or wherever you may go probably doesn't require a degree. But the degree may give you a fast track to get there. I decided that a couple years and a couple hundred thousand dollars would be worth the myriad of opportunities I would doubtless encounter by going for it.

It's ultimately, obviously, a completely personal decision. If I were you, I would spend some time researching possible career paths and speaking with MBA alums if you can find them (I had a really hard time with that part - turns out I don't know any...). And if you decide to go for it, consider doing a fulltime program. At first, I had planned to go part-time at a regional school, and the only MBA I found talked me out of it. He encouraged me to aim as high as I could, as it's a once-in-a-lifetime decision and opportunity. Anyhow, best of luck and feel free to pm me .

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Do you think B school is for me?   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2010, 08:51