Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do you think I am being realistic?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Do you think I am being realistic? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 04:20
Hi,

I am Rishik. Graduate with Bachelor's in Computer Science. I passed with aggregate 72%. 7th rank in the University. I have a total experience of 3 years in IT sector. I have good leadership skills and have handled a team of 7 members for nearly a year. I have some good projects to show. Good extra curricular record. Written a couple of white papers on technology and Software Quality. I have excellent communication skills. And would like to pursue my career in Global Management, Operations or Strategy. I am open for Marketing and Finance as well.

I am planning to appear for GMAT test in December.

Please advice me on whether I am being realistic in taking the test with just 3 months of preparation time?

And which schools should I apply to? I have in mind ISB, London Business School, Wharton and Carneige Mellon? What would be a strong profile for me?

I am not sure how to calculate GPA for my percentage, so do you think 72% comes to a decent GPA?

I have attached my resume for your kind perusal.

Please advise.

Regards,
Rishik
Attachments

File comment: My Resume!
Resume_Rishik.doc [51.5 KiB]
Downloaded 93 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 08:38
Hi,

Whether 3 months is sufficient time to prepare depends on your standing on the core constructs today and what you want you standing to be in 3 months.

Your interests suggest that many schools might appeal to you including many of the transelite and near elite schools.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do you think I am being realistic? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 14:17
Expert's post
Neoriz wrote:
Hi,

I am Rishik. Graduate with Bachelor's in Computer Science. I passed with aggregate 72%. 7th rank in the University. I have a total experience of 3 years in IT sector. I have good leadership skills and have handled a team of 7 members for nearly a year. I have some good projects to show. Good extra curricular record. Written a couple of white papers on technology and Software Quality. I have excellent communication skills. And would like to pursue my career in Global Management, Operations or Strategy. I am open for Marketing and Finance as well.

I am planning to appear for GMAT test in December.

Please advice me on whether I am being realistic in taking the test with just 3 months of preparation time?

And which schools should I apply to? I have in mind ISB, London Business School, Wharton and Carneige Mellon? What would be a strong profile for me?

I am not sure how to calculate GPA for my percentage, so do you think 72% comes to a decent GPA?

I have attached my resume for your kind perusal.

Please advise.

Regards,
Rishik

Rishik,

Yes a 72% comes out to a competitive GPA, especially if you were ranked highly in a class at a demanding university. Don't try to recalculate your GPA, unless the schools you are applying to ask you to do so.

Some people do well on the GMAT after cramming for two days and others do poorly after months of preparation. Your preparation should inlcude practice tests. If you are doing will on the practice tests, then three months is enough. Three months should be plenty.

To determine which school you should apply to, you need to more clearly define your post-MBA goal. Your interests are quite broad and could take you anywhere. What do you want to do after you earn your MBA?

For guidance on choosing schools, I recommend my ebook Best Practices for 2005 MBA Admission

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog