Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do you think the Kaplan course is worth the money?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Do you think the Kaplan course is worth the money? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 20:09
Same subject, no poll question
Please give me your feedback on the following:
I'm new to the forum and to GMAT preparation. My wife and I have been discussing the Kaplan course to help not only my score, but also my focus, i.e. by taking the course it would help me see test day on the horizon as I would schedule to take the exam for as soon as possible after the course ends. I heard from a friend who took the Kaplan course for DAT prep that the classroom instruction is not that helpful.
Any thoughts from those of you who have either taken the test and then the course before re-testing or who have just done the course and then taken the GMAT?
Any advice on this would be helpful. The course is $1,450, after all. I want to get an idea of whether it's worth the investment.
Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 20:21
i didn't take it, and i dont think it is worth the money for several reasons:

1. the materials are not good. you can get a much more accurate training using the official guide, quant/verbal supplements, and gmatprep
2. the class is not tailored to your weaknesses. you are in a class of people who just hope to hit 650. if you are targeting 700+ kaplan won't help you much
3. you have already discovered this board, which is much more helpful for gmat studying
4. $$$

i have a coworker who is taking kaplan now. in one class somebody asked if "kaplan sends its scores to schools"
CIO
CIO
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 20:34
dabots wrote:
i didn't take it, and i dont think it is worth the money for several reasons:

1. the materials are not good. you can get a much more accurate training using the official guide, quant/verbal supplements, and gmatprep
2. the class is not tailored to your weaknesses. you are in a class of people who just hope to hit 650. if you are targeting 700+ kaplan won't help you much
3. you have already discovered this board, which is much more helpful for gmat studying
4. $$$

i have a coworker who is taking kaplan now. in one class somebody asked if "kaplan sends its scores to schools"

I think this is good advice. I know I'm obviously biased, but I think taking a classroom course that's designed to hit the average person across the country is kind of selling yourself short.

I've been following Kaplan for a long time, and for some people, they do work, but for most people looking to do well, they leave out some of the most important concepts. Not only that, but they design their test prep material to match their strategies, not the other way around necessarily. This means you may have an overinflated sense of what's going to happen on the exam and be caught off guard when they do come.

Not only that, but their teachers are potentially people who just scored 680, has no teaching experience, and now have the book in front of them (worst case scenario). If you want to get a good score, you need a high scorer who has taught for a long time, who can "speak from the trenches" and who can figure out how to teach you the things you need to learn.

For a reference, see this and other craigslist postings: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/edu/363244759.html. They outline their requirements for everyone to see.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2007, 07:16
I took the Kaplan course and agree with the comments above. The materials sucked. The questions were often very poorly phrased...and the tests were always a lot harder and lower scoring than the actual GMAT. The in class sessions were pretty pointless since they were full of people asking really really basic questions. If you're looking for a 700+ score, Kaplan isn't the place.

However, what it WAS good for was creating a sense of urgency and making me feel so stupid that I forced myself to study harder.

I did all of the online homework that they required and did their practice tests every weekend. The practice tests were good to work on my endurance but were very inaccurate gauges of my actual GMAT score (I rarely scored over 600 on the Kaplan tests and got 710 on the actual). These tests really screw with your confidence.

I spent a month studying on my own after the Kaplan course which I found much more useful.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2007, 08:08
I took the Kaplan course last year and believe it was a total waste of money. I even regret the time I wasted being in class and doing their homework problems, which had nothing to do with the actual GMAT test.

You have:
- Princeton Review [ cracking the GMAT ]
- GMAT club
- OG 11
- OG 11 : verbal and math supps.
- MGMAT SC guide
- LSAT for reading and CR
- GMAT club challenges
- MGMAT CATs that come with the MGMAT SC or any of their products

You're all set to ace the GMAT. If you really need to be a class room, then I've heard good things about Manhattan GMAT and Veritas
  [#permalink] 06 Jul 2007, 08:08