Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor going for MBA. GMAT questions!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Doctor going for MBA. GMAT questions! [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 13:13
Hi guys!
I have been a silent visitor for months and wanted start off by saying thank you.
I am posting today to ask your help. I need to decide whether I need to take the GMAT again.

Background
29 years old. Indian Male. Currently in my last year of residency as an Anesthesiologist. Went to a top 10 college. Biomedical Engineering undergraduate degree. Top 25 medical school in the united states. Tons of medical/volunteering and other extracurriculars throughout college and medical school.
During residency I have held numerous leadership roles in my program and on the national level, all in Anesthesiology though. I also started some business side projects (all financial unsuccessful) but still alive today (such as numerous iphone apps, websites etc)
Stats
GMAT taken recently : 710 (V39Q49 - V87%, Q80%) overall 92%
Undergraduate GPA: Probably around 3.6

Why MBA
I desire to get into the administrative/start up medical scene or I want to improve hospital/operating room efficiency.

Goal
I will be finished with my residency in one year, June 2013, at which point I can probably get a job for around 300k/year. I would like to instead start B-school full time in Sept 2013 and hopefully work part time if possible. Because I am sacrificing a lot of money, I think I will only go to B-school if I can get into a top 5 program. I am not trying to be cocky, I am just thinking about the financial sacrifices.

Do you think my 710 is a good enough score or should I retake it. Due to my hectic work schedule, my preparation for the GMAT was limited to taking GMATprep exam 1 two days prior to the actual exam. I believe my Quant could increase if I studied since I had forgotten all basic math and was trying to derive basic formulas during the exam. However, the question is whether I need to retake it to be a competitive applicant. Unfortunately, I am already working almost 80 hours a week and it's tough to get time to study or even retake the exam.

I would also appreciate any opinions/experiences/thoughts on my desire to pursue an MBA.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Doctor going for MBA. GMAT questions! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 02:42
You are a non-traditional candidate. A 710 is more than enough for you.

I went to the admit student weekend and one of the MBA2 presenters(about to graduate) at Ross was a surgery *resident*. She was still covering call and keeping up with her hours and requirements to be licensed, but was a full time MBA student.

Make sure you sell yourself as a non traditional applicant. If you try hard to fit the mba mold (finance, consulting, etc.) you'll be lumping yourself in with the majority of the applicants.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: Doctor going for MBA. GMAT questions! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 04:27
patelamit wrote:
Hi guys!
I have been a silent visitor for months and wanted start off by saying thank you.
I am posting today to ask your help. I need to decide whether I need to take the GMAT again.

Background
29 years old. Indian Male. Currently in my last year of residency as an Anesthesiologist. Went to a top 10 college. Biomedical Engineering undergraduate degree. Top 25 medical school in the united states. Tons of medical/volunteering and other extracurriculars throughout college and medical school.
During residency I have held numerous leadership roles in my program and on the national level, all in Anesthesiology though. I also started some business side projects (all financial unsuccessful) but still alive today (such as numerous iphone apps, websites etc)
Stats
GMAT taken recently : 710 (V39Q49 - V87%, Q80%) overall 92%
Undergraduate GPA: Probably around 3.6

Why MBA
I desire to get into the administrative/start up medical scene or I want to improve hospital/operating room efficiency.

Goal
I will be finished with my residency in one year, June 2013, at which point I can probably get a job for around 300k/year. I would like to instead start B-school full time in Sept 2013 and hopefully work part time if possible. Because I am sacrificing a lot of money, I think I will only go to B-school if I can get into a top 5 program. I am not trying to be cocky, I am just thinking about the financial sacrifices.

Do you think my 710 is a good enough score or should I retake it. Due to my hectic work schedule, my preparation for the GMAT was limited to taking GMATprep exam 1 two days prior to the actual exam. I believe my Quant could increase if I studied since I had forgotten all basic math and was trying to derive basic formulas during the exam. However, the question is whether I need to retake it to be a competitive applicant. Unfortunately, I am already working almost 80 hours a week and it's tough to get time to study or even retake the exam.

I would also appreciate any opinions/experiences/thoughts on my desire to pursue an MBA.

Hello,

I believe you stand a decent chance for top 5 US schools.

As mentioned by mohater, since you are non traditional applicant, you do not need to retake your GMAT. I would suggest that your essays will be very important for you because you must be able to articulate your post MBA goals.

For traditional applicants, it is easier to define their short term and long term goals, but in your case your essays must be convincing enough to let the adcom believe that you are serious about this MBA (even after considering your potential income of 300k without MBA)

Work on your essays as much as you can, essay writing is time consuming but worth.

Lastly, highlight all your leadership roles, for top 5 schools, leadership matter a lot - be at work or at EC.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: Doctor going for MBA. GMAT questions!   [#permalink] 14 May 2012, 04:27