Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 08:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:54) correct 43% (01:23) wrong based on 79 sessions
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?
The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [1] , given: 21

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
sushbis wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

Answer given D. But this has no bearing on the possible effect of the legislation. Please help

Even though the prohibition is on force ,it will not have any effect if parents buy the game and give it to their children.Because the prohibition is only for minors.Hence D is the assumption,which has been taken by the doctor.

Consider KUDOS if You find it good

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 17:43
Explanation for this has been provided in MGMAT forum. However I am not very convinced with the arguments given there regarding D being the preferable choice over C. I think this question definitely needs editing. Choice D should be reworded something on the lines :

The law will prevent most parents from buying video games for their adolescent children.

Even though the current choice actually means the same, explicitly mentioning the relation between the law and sale of video games will make the choice clearer.

Crick
Intern
Intern

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 17:50
Why not C? Here the author says "prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. " Doesnt he assume here that the only cause for wrist condition is playing video games. If that is not the only cause, then this legislation will not have its intended effect.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 01:29
A reasoning gap in the argument here.

D fills the gap by providing a link.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 04:41
C) Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

can not be a correct assumption, here . As nowhere in the argument we get a hint that says video game is the only reason.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 710 [0], given: 3

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 22:09
sushbis wrote:
Why not C? Here the author says "prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. " Doesnt he assume here that the only cause for wrist condition is playing video games. If that is not the only cause, then this legislation will not have its intended effect.

As my mac dictionary says, 'curb' means 'keep in check'. It does not mean 'eliminate completely'. So as long as the legislation helps to reduce the incidence of carpal tunnel, it is having its intended effect. It doesn't make any difference if there are other causes. Taking a similar example, if I say that emissions controls on automobile exhaust will help reduce air pollution levels, I'm not assuming that automobiles are the *only* cause of air pollution; I'm only assuming that they are one cause.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Intern
Intern

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 01:22
Why not C? how does parents buying video game for their children play role when the sale of the video game has
already been prohibited?
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 376

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 01:57
madGMAT wrote:
Why not C? how does parents buying video game for their children play role when the sale of the video game has
already been prohibited?

Conclusion: If you don't sell video games to young boys age < 18 years, it will help check or reduce the instances of CTS because if you don't sell video games to them, they won't have any video games and if they don't have the video game, how can they play it; simple!!

Counter Argument: What if their parents buy the video games and give those to them. Won't they have the access to the games then? After all, law prohibits ONLY young kids from buying, not their parents.

Oh!!! I assumed that their parents won't buy them the games.

Ans: "D"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 15:29
good explanation Ian and fluke.....i chose the wrong answer but now i see why

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 15:35
sushbis wrote:

D, is correct... C is wrong.... since if you negate this statement it does not sink the stem's conclusion...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 02:54
A partly contradict evidence and is wrong.
Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2629 [0], given: 697

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 03:35
Expert's post
I'm not see difficult (at first glance), but indeed was a tough one.

Anyway, following the same rule:

Premise----> Who play---> have TS
Conclusion-----> A new law CAN REDUCE this scenario avoiding to sell videogames to minors

A) what about a bill '? clearly do not fit

B) Not all (or all the reverse) adolescents and bla bla.......out

C) here is the most contender but why ?? if we read closer this statement has problem like: fall in the premise area we can say, not in the field of cocnlcusion, and most important thing: NOT in the field of assumption; the word only.......we do not see an extreme tone in the stimulus as well.

D) the choice: the conclusion says that the legislation could avoid the sellling of video games to minor and indeed avoiding the syndrome BUT the parents could buy games for children

E) completely out

:)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 03:56
I went for D,
C is too strong to be the assumption, moreover if negated, it does not call the conclusion into question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Confused! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 06:37
hmmm...i can see c to be a strong contender but it loses to D in that C does not address one important issue about
FEDERAL LEGISLATION. If the conclusion had been "banning video games would help curb the syndrome in the minors", then C would have won over D.

But here the conclusion is "federal legislation...... would help curb the...."..that's the catch.. So the author is assuming that there's no other way minors will get their hands on those video games.

The below sentence can also be an alternate ans
"The internet cafes would not allow minors to play video games after the law is passed"
Re: Confused!   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2011, 06:37