Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 11:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

69% (01:36) correct 31% (01:44) wrong based on 65 sessions
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?
a)The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
b)Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
c)Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
d) Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
E)The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

any explanations please, I will post the AO later on!

Sky is the limit

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 23:05
IMO D

d) Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children. => Federal legislation need only prohibits the sale video game to the minor of adolescents

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 19:04
tuanquang269 wrote:
IMO D

d) Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children. => Federal legislation need only prohibits the sale video game to the minor of adolescents

i did not get the focus of the question that is the vid game sales to the minor, :)
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 01:40
IMO C,

Could someone please explain why C is incorrect and D a better option?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 06:20
+1 C) Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

The conclusion by doctors is: Prohibit sales of Video Games to minors and they will not suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

which shows that the doctors are assuming that, it is only through playing Video Games minors get that syndrome, which may or may not be true.

In picking option D, we are also making the same assumption, that if kids don't buy games themselves, their parents would do that for them and in any case... it is only through Video Games that this syndrome occurs.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 03:54
Its D

C uses very strong word "only"

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 09:21
manalq8 wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?
a)The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors. OUT OF SCOPE

b)ALL all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome. ------ The conclusion is still valid
c)Playing video games is the NOT THE only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome. ---------- Conclusion weakens but since there is no more information about the other ways it can be taken as even though it is not the only way, the federal regulation will prohibit...
d) Most parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children. CORRECT ----- The conclusion falls apart. Even after the federal regulation, Most parents would buy the games.
E)The regular playing of video games by adolescents PRODUCE such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time. ---------- Conclusion is still valid.

any explanations please, I will post the AO later on!

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 03:04
Conclusion:: Federal law can help can help adolescents ... from the disease.

argument:: kids playing ...... in regular basis are 3 time more likely to get the disease.

Tough one! can't decide between A and D,
i think i would go for A.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 06:26
It should be C ! Because if we try to negate the option C , the conclusion falls apart. If there are other means by which a person can get CTS , then even if the legislation is passed regarding the video games , it will not help curb the disease.

This is my thinking. What is the OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 20:08
I am with D , though C is also close , but if we notice the argument stem '' Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. '' the answer should be closely related to it if possible and it does it better than C . Also to add if D is not considered the assumption falls apart and in C it only weakens a bit .
Intern
Intern

Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 22:48
D

C is incorrect because the conclusion does not indicate that legislators believe the law will stop ALL cases of the disease. Their can be several other factors (in addition to video games) that result in the disease. Stopping some of the cases (those related video games) will have SOME affect on the incidents.
Intern
Intern

Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 10:56
IMO D
Intern
Intern

Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 10:58
What is OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 18:43
IMO D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 16:35
OA please ?

For me its D.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 03:09

c)Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
Negating, Playing video games is NOT NECESSARILY the only way an adolescent can develop CTS.
What does this mean?
This means that there may be other ways that adolescents develop CTS.
Conclusion: If Fed. legislation says NO VIDEO GAMES, then CTS would come down.
According to C, there may be other ways ppl can get CTS, so "even if Fed. leg. says NO video games, it may not curb CTS"
Hence, IMO correct.
d) Negating, Most parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children. I don't see how this option can BREAK the conclusion. Moreover, this option mentions nothing about CTS.

Is my reasoning correct? Pl help
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 04:45
Must be D because if they band kids from buying video games, but the adults still by the legislation will not provide a curb to CP.
C doesn't work because it's not the only reason. Since if it were true that people who don't play video games do not develop CP, then it wouldn't CURB CP it will STOP it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 06:11
OA is D
according to the following post
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/doc ... t4546.html

With due respect, i would like to say that question posted w/o OA kills lots of our valuable time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 06:54
Option D is the best answer

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 17:38
Is it true of Assumption questions that more often than not ones with strong words will be incorrect " like the word only" used in option C.

Thanks
Re: Research shows that adolescents who play video   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2012, 17:38