Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 02:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:55) correct 39% (01:10) wrong based on 66 sessions
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?
A.The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

Had a serious issue with this Question. Picked C but the answer given was D. Both options make valid points in my opinion. How do you crack this scenario?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 21 Jul 2013, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, added OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 142

Re: 700-800 Level CR Question on the MGMAT CAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 09:12
NikTav wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

A.The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

Had a serious issue with this Question. Picked C but the answer given was D. Both options make valid points in my opinion. How do you crack this scenario?

curb this painful wrist condition - curb doesn't mean eliminate. The legislation will help to reduce number of cases of this condition, not completely eliminate. Hence C is too extreme and wrong.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: 700-800 Level CR Question on the MGMAT CAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 09:37
The GMAT uses term "Research" with a follow up question on "Conclusion/Assumption" very often. Please note that the GMAT is asking for assumption not the conclusion. Always remember that any research piece is always based on assumption and that none of research is 100% conclusive. Answer "C" seems to be most attractive and close, but it concludes with 100% surety (that no research can do). It's a conclusion (though wrong) not assumption. Thus, look for assumption not the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 95

Re: 700-800 Level CR Question on the MGMAT CAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 12:30
NikTav wrote:

The proposed legislation states minors can not buy video games. It does not prohibit parents from buying the games. Parents, following the spirit of the law, would have to refuse to buy their teens the games.

I do not beg for kudos.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 700-800 Level CR Question on the MGMAT CAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 20:13
I get where you guys are coming from, but doesn't the data in C substantially weaken the argument? The argument is that this legislation will curb the condition. If by means of some other activity, say cricket, adolescents are still able to get this wrist condition, how is the legislation curbing it? Still not 100% clear in my mind.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [1] , given: 122

Re: 700-800 Level CR Question on the MGMAT CAT [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 00:06
This post received
KUDOS
NikTav wrote:
I get where you guys are coming from, but doesn't the data in C substantially weaken the argument? The argument is that this legislation will curb the condition. If by means of some other activity, say cricket, adolescents are still able to get this wrist condition, how is the legislation curbing it? Still not 100% clear in my mind.

Hi NikTav

For every CR questions, conclusion is key. What is conclusion here?
The conclusion is: "prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents". KEY word is "SALE".

How "prohibit the SALE" can curb the painful wrist condition? There must be a link between "sale" and "painful wrist condition". Let see the flow: BUY video games ==> PLAY video games ==> HAVE wrist condition. The assumption should be: STOP buying video games ==> STOP playing video games ==> CURB the painful wrist condition.

Option D.
How to stop buying? Federal will stop all people (adolescents and even their parents) buying video games. Option D states the assumption by indicating the 'buying video games" will be stopped ==> adolescent cannot play video games anymore. D is correct.

Option C.
The fact "Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome" is true. It just shows the cause of the wrist condition, but does not link "sales video games" to "wrist condition" . Thus, it's not the assumption of the conclusion: "prohibit SALES videos games will curb wrist condition". That's why I said above "SALE" is key word.

C will be an assumption of the conclusion "prohibits PLAYING video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents".

In short, when attack CR questions, you should read a stimulus VERY carefully. CR differs from RC because CR stimulus is SHORT, but every word is important. Do not skim.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: 700-800 Level CR Question on the MGMAT CAT   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2013, 00:06