Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 00:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 00:32
C.It clearly brings out the assumption
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 05:18
A. May be.
B. out of scope.
C. Stem says implicitly points out that there are some adolescent, who do not play also get the disease (3 times as likely). So out.
D. Not related.
E. Well, true but not related.

Only A.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 06:42
asaf wrote:
A. May be.
B. out of scope.
C. Stem says implicitly points out that there are some adolescent, who do not play also get the disease (3 times as likely). So out.
D. Not related.
E. Well, true but not related.

Only A.

A it is.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I think it's D [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 10:31
I think it's D. the Dr. is assuming that there's no other way that the kids can get a hold of the games, so the regulation will totally prevent the kids from attaining them
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 10:42
I believe, it's C.
What is the source of this CR?

-Brajesh
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 10:46
One more A...well explained Asaf!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 17:54
OA is not A. Think more. Shall post OA soon.
PS: i got this question on one of my Manhattan CAT exam.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: I think it's D [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 18:44
jay10280 wrote:
I think it's D. the Dr. is assuming that there's no other way that the kids can get a hold of the games, so the regulation will totally prevent the kids from attaining them

This is correct. The whole argument is based on minors not being able to get the video games.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 13

Re: I think it's D [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 00:03
gluon wrote:
jay10280 wrote:

This is correct. The whole argument is based on minors not being able to get the video games.

OK - By elimination it sounds like D is correct because the other choices are definitely wrong (or irrelevant). What I missed however was that - if the legislation came thru, even if the parents wanted to buy the games they would still not have been able to do so. So I thought - the parents's choice would have become irrelevant should the regulation come thru. However as Gluon and Jay point out - it's about closing all possible channels of acquiring the video game and D fits the bill.

THis question appears ambiguos to me .. but then that's only my personal feeling.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 08:06
Excellent. OA is D
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 08:21
I think the problem with A is that it talks abt only minors and says nothing abt adolescents who can still get the games.

D on negation rightly points out that the adolescents would not be allowed to purchase the games.
  [#permalink] 16 Jul 2007, 08:21