Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: CR-carpal tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 09:43
D.

Negating the assumption should make the conclusion in valid.
The conclusion is that by legally prohibiting minors to buy video games will help in curbing this condition.
Option d states that minors can get video games by ther parents getting it for them.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1081

Kudos [?]: 4865 [2] , given: 163

Re: CR-carpal tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 17:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adhithya wrote:
hi guys had a doubt in this question
the author says that federal legislation would be helpful in curbing the problem,so one of his assumptions is that the legislation might be passed,thatis even the federal legislators would agree with his opinion on video games,so why cant (A) be a plausible option

Further to mailnavin1's point, an assumption supports the conclusion.
The conclusion here is "A law that prohibits sale of video games to minors would help curb this condition" i.e. a law would help.

If you want to negate this conclusion, you will say, "a law will not help." You will not say, "Such a law cannot be passed."

So this conclusion does not depend on whether the law will be passed. The author just says that if the law is passed, it will help. He assumes that a law will work because adults will not buy the games for minors.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-carpal tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 20:56
@mailnavin,@karishma,thanks a lot for the great expln
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-carpal tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 22:36
A and B don't even relate to the question too well. That pretty much narrows the choices to C, D and E.

petrifiedbutstanding

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
I did not even read the option D completely....made it out of scope since Parents are coming into the discussion. Chose option C. On a second look, i realized that D is correct.

Lesson learnt : Read all options carefully. When you hit an interesting contender early on, you will start ignoring other options, coz of your bias towards an option and your brain asking you to rush to beat the time. Never ignore any option without completely reading it. I tell this to myself everytime, but somehow fall into the same trap again and again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 19:53
this has been discussed in another thread too, OA is D
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 06:26
I got C.
(C) Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

conclusion: Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.
Negating,
(C) Playing video games is NOT NECESSARILY the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome. If one says this, then there are ways other than playing videogames because of which an adolescent can develop CTS. This means that even when the Fed. legislation is passes, minor will still suffer from CTS because of other ways to get it.
Hence, Fed. Legislation would not help curb CTS among adolescents.

Is my reasoning right?
Pl correct if wrong.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Columbia, Ross, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 07:32
D for me
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 09:39
nikhilsamuel89
If playing is not the only way to get desise but one of the ways government still helps to decrease desise by eliminating one way to get desise
so clear D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 05:40
D it is. I think this is a slightly modified version of the Official Q.

The other aliases of answer could be
"Children buy the games themselves"
"No other mode is present for the children to get the games"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 05:45
(A) At first I thought this was too far reaching...but it seems like a plausible assumption. I kept this open until I got to D.
(B) Irrelevant. The premise states that kids who play video games are more likely to suffer from CTS than kids who don't. The conclusion is focusing on reducing the likelihood that those kids who do play and do suffer will not be able to acquire the games.
(C) Too far reaching.
(D) This takes into account that kids will not be able to circumvent the new legislation by having their parents purchase games for them. As a result kids will not be playing video games.
(E) Irrelevant.

I did choose D initially, however now that I'm looking back on the choices I feel that A might be suitable too.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-31-2013
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 07:46
If minors can't buy games they will rely on non-minors to purchase it for them. If most parents refuse to purchase video games then CTS will be curbed among adolescents. CORRECT

Very intelligent question...where we need to infer from the given facts...!! Kudos!!

Rajeev Nambyar
Chennai, India.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 09:43
Video game players are 3 times more likely to develop carpal tunnel symdrome than those who do not.
Prohibiting sale of video games to MINORS would help to curb carpal tunnel syndrom.

playing video games --> Carpal syndrome
Prohibiting the sale --> NO carpal syndrome ==> Video games are not played.

Successful Legislation prohibits sale games only to adolescents. It means that they don't get games by any other way.. i.e. purchased by someone else.

So, Matching answer to this logic is (D).
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-carpal tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 05:48
gmatnub wrote:
D

D is answer. Reasoning is that if sales are prohibited to minors then guardian will also not buy.

Posted from my mobile device Image

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 05:56
The doctor concludes that federal legislation prohibiting the sale of video games
to minors would help reduce the incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome. This
conclusion hinges on the assumption that the only way for adolescents to access
video games is to purchase the games themeselves.
(A) Majority consensus in the legislature has no bearing on whether the
recommended legislation would actually help to curb carpal tunnel syndrome.
(B) This argument states that "adolescents who play video games on a regular
basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome." Thus, the
argument directly indicates that carpal tunnel syndrome does not affect all
adolescents who play video games. Rather than an assumption, this answer
choice is simply an inference drawn from the text.
(C) The fact that adolescents can develop carpal tunnel syndrome by means
other than playing video games has no bearing on whether the recommended
legislation would help to curb carpal tunnel syndrome.
(D) CORRECT. In order for the doctor's recommended legislation to reduce the
incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome among adolescents, the prohibition from the
purchase of video games must result in the actual possession of fewer video
games. Thus, it must be assumed that parents will not simply purchase video
games for their children.
(E) The fact that video games can benefit adolescents in other ways has no
bearing on whether the recommended legislation would help to curb carpal
tunnel syndrome.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Yale '17
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 34

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 06:18
D….
PRE THINKING…. Parents is new information, by refusing…. Law works, so must be true….. cannot B…. BECZ, IN FIRST statement it is adolscents who play….. so we cannot say not all adolescents, if this right then we can find a flaw in conclusion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 05:38
I Choose C "Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome".

But this answer question my reason for selecting the Answer choice C.
"The conclusion that federal legislation prohibiting the sale of video games to minor would curb painful wrist condition among adolescents can only be true if their parents do not continue to buy these games for their kids. The games are prohibited to be sold to children, but not to adults who can buy it for them."
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4865 [0], given: 163

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 20:58
Expert's post
rrsnathan wrote:
I Choose C "Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome".

But this answer question my reason for selecting the Answer choice C.
"The conclusion that federal legislation prohibiting the sale of video games to minor would curb painful wrist condition among adolescents can only be true if their parents do not continue to buy these games for their kids. The games are prohibited to be sold to children, but not to adults who can buy it for them."

Note that the conclusion says "Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents"

The conclusion says that it will help control the occurrence of carpal tunnel. It doesn't say that it will eradicate the condition. If a problem can happen in 3 ways and if you take care of one, you can certainly HELP CURB the problem. It may not eradicate the problem completely but it can definitely help reduce the occurence.
So we don't need to assume that carpal tunnel doesn't happen any other way to make our conclusion true.

But if adults buy games for kids then prohibiting the sale to kids will not help curb the problem. So for our proposal (that kids should be prohibited from buying these games) to have the desired effect (help curb carpal tunnel), it is necessary that parents not buy the games for kids.

Hence answer is (D)

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: B.Tech
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 12:11
I am not sure that the line "Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents"
is the doctor's conclusion . Rather the line "adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games"
is the doctor's conclusion .
So, according to this 'C' should be the correct answer .
correct me if I am wrong .
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4865 [0], given: 163

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 22:30
Expert's post
aditya27cs08 wrote:
I am not sure that the line "Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents"
is the doctor's conclusion . Rather the line "adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games"
is the doctor's conclusion .
So, according to this 'C' should be the correct answer .
correct me if I am wrong .

No, the conclusion is the author's opinion; it is the main point of the argument. It is the opinion that the author wants to express and does so by writing the argument.

"Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games" is a fact given to you by the doctor (which we assume to be true since all premises are assumed to be true). It is not the doctor's opinion that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome. This is what research suggests. Opinion is subjective so you will usually not find numbers in it. Here the author's opinion is that "legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this condition"

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2013, 22:30